My First Selfbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Selfbow

Well I pretty much finished my first self bow. It aint purty but it shoots pretty good! lol I made a flemish string for it. Making the string and serving it were harder than making the bow. I shot ot a few times and so did a couple of my bows and my one grandson. Think I'm hooked on a new hobby. Like I needed another one.....

The next one will be with bois d'arc. Not really sure what this one is made of. Feels like it pulls around 30-35 lbs.

We need pics!!!

Ike

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex.308 View Post
      We need pics!!!

Ike
      x2!

Comment

I will try to get some. Not real sure how to download them. Guy's it ain't much to look at.
        Its made to shoot of the hand. I shot it 4 times and hit a ring about 4" in diameter from 55 to 10 yards. Never shot off my hand before. So I was pretty thrilled!
        I'm going to do a few finishing touches to it and the seal it with true oil.

Comment

If you hand made it, it's more to look at than anything manufactured

Comment

Never let anyone else pull back your selfbow unless their draw length is the same or shorter than yours. Selfbows are jealous and do not appreciate being shared.

Comment

looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

Sure would like to see a pic

Comment

I would love to see it and learn how to make one. I want a bow or crossbow, but a selfbow would be cool to have.

Comment

Congrats and enjoy the hobby. There's lots to learn and try. Definitely get some pics on here or text/email some over and get them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                      Never let anyone else pull back your selfbow unless their draw length is the same or shorter than yours. Selfbows are jealous and do not appreciate being shared.
                      Amen Sister

Comment

I should have been done with mine, but I have not been able to work on it but once since early November because of health problems. I hope to get it done by end of January. I have it down to about 50# at 28" and tillering is pretty good right now, but I need another 5# off of it and I need to thin the tips a little, modify the handle to fit my hand just a slight amount, sand it smoothe, put the finish on it and then the leather grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                          Preach it Deb. I learned the hard way on this. Had a bow at a shoot in Ft worth on the rack as we went to pull arrows and I see an older gentleman pull the bow back as I'm walking back. Yep he over drew it and cracked the limb at the fade.

Comment

Does that have to do with the way the bow is built, or the way it "learns"? If I tiller a bow I make at 30", and my draw is 28", is it only good for 28" after a while, or will it always be good for 30"? And does this apply to selfbows only? Ok to let a friend shoot a home made backed bow if their draw is an inch or two longer?

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                              Does that have to do with the way the bow is built, or the way it "learns"? If I tiller a bow I make at 30", and my draw is 28", is it only good for 28" after a while, or will it always be good for 30"? And does this apply to selfbows only? Ok to let a friend shoot a home made backed bow if their draw is an inch or two longer?
                              Personally, I would never let a selfbow get drawn past my specific length, even if it was tillered to a longer draw. I usually tiller mine to 28" but I draw shorter, and after a while of not pulling it that far, I'd much rather not take that chance. I'm also very careful with my bows, always remembering to "warm them up" before shooting, just to make sure I don't over stress them on the first couple shots. Haven't had one break on my yet... knock on wood. Regardless, if you're going to let someone else shoot one of your bows, make sure it's not one of your favorites. I hand over a weaker board bow to friends who want to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X