• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
    Got a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I do now.
    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Garguy that the point pre-exists the various tribes that we now know existed in Texas. But what a cool find in all that sand! What are the odds of finding a tool made thousands of years ago by the earliest settlers.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
        GarGuy....do you agree with the link that SouthernCamo posted?
        Totally. the point is what I call Early stemmed. Likely 9,000ish years old. The material has a heavy mineralization on it and is probably edwards chert.

Comment

Originally posted by Deer716 View Post
          I do now.
          That is probably a Wells varient. Maybe slightly younger than the op but still very old and has a similar patina. cool items. It is really fun to hold a weapon that another hunter used thousands of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Totally. the point is what I call Early stemmed. Likely 9,000ish years old. The material has a heavy mineralization on it and is probably edwards chert.
            WOW!!!! Who would have made it?? I mean was there a tribe back then or just Nomads?

Comment

WOW!!!! Who would have made it?? I mean was there a tribe back then or just Nomads?
              My understanding is that they were generally called "paleoindians". I guess that means before they formed the various tribes that we know of today.

Comment

They had home base villages although smaller than later folks. I have dug some extensive Paleo/early Archaic sites. The Americas were pretty well settled by 9,000 years ago. Im sure they had tribal names but we certainly dont know what it was. the consistancy of point type proves the groups over a very large area had contact with each other as well as traded materials from a wide area.
                Last edited by GarGuy; 09-13-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Modern Indians, think Apache, Comanche Karankawa they all used the points made by the ancient people who made the one that your wife found. Modern Indians were lazy. They'd touch them up and use them and others that they found.

I've found a lot of them in cotton fields near Danevang after plowing and have found a few Perdernales points down by Oyster Lake on West Matagorda Bay. Those are 2-3,000 years old.

Great find, bet she was excited!

Comment

Really nice find.

About the only thing I like as much as hunting or fishing is looking for arrowheads.

Comment

Cool find..........

Comment

Question who would us that small of point

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        That is probably a Wells varient. Maybe slightly younger than the op but still very old and has a similar patina. cool items. It is really fun to hold a weapon that another hunter used thousands of years ago.
                        A question if that point was that old how would it have been used. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Serbin View Post
                          A question if that point was that old how would it have been used. Thanks.
                          Yes this?????

A friend of ours who lives on the Lower Brazos River and hunts/collects arrow heads on the river banks thinks this is a spear head not an arrow head.

Thoughts??

Comment

I have found a few points over the years. How does one go about finding info about how old they may be, who made them, etc?

Comment

Very cool to find on the beach!

I find it fascinating that the ocean level was lower in the fairly recent past and that these cultures lived what would now be many many miles offshore. Here are some articles of an ancient forest found in 60 feet of water....10 miles off the Alabama coast.

http://http://blog.al.com/live/2012/09/ancient_forest_lies_10_miles_o.html

http://http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2017/06/underwater_forest_discovered_alabama.html

Think of all the artifacts that are still under the water many miles offshore.

Comment

Awesome find. My husbands aunt owns Karankawa village (with the teepee pulling into matagorda). I know many said this is much older than the karankawas. I'm a realtor and was in Thompson land company's office in Bay City last week. He has an entire 8 foot display case FULL of arrowheads, some of which he found in matagorda. You could probably learn a lot from stopping in and talking with him. But if you decide to buy property or a beach lot in matagorda, let me know, because we don't work together! [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X