Best Credit Card To Own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Credit Card To Own?

I have a couple credit cards but I get zero 'rewards'. I just got back from NYC & the other 5 guys I went with either get cash back or their flights were free from their credit cards. All of their interest rates were higher than mine but I'm not willing to sacrifice my interest rate for rewards. I have $0 on one of mine w/a $7K limit (& it's been $0 for years) & have ~$1,000 on another one w/a $12K limit. Should I close the one I never use or leave it open?
    Should I sacrifice an 11.9% APR w/no rewards for a 13.9% APR but has rewards?
    Is flight miles or cash back better?
    I have good credit if that matters.
    Thanks!

Don't know which on is best, but I've used Discover for years. Get cash back on every purchase. Heck, I put a $12,000 foundation bill on it and got lots of cash back to apply to the bill. However, no matter how much is on the bill, I pay it off every month in FULL apply the cash to my balance to lower the payment.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      I have a couple credit cards but I get zero 'rewards'. I just got back from NYC & the other 5 guys I went with either get cash back or their flights were free from their credit cards. All of their interest rates were higher than mine but I'm not willing to sacrifice my interest rate for rewards. I have $0 on one of mine w/a $7K limit (& it's been $0 for years) & have ~$1,000 on another one w/a $12K limit. Should I close the one I never use or leave it open?
      Should I sacrifice an 11.9% APR w/no rewards for a 13.9% APR but has rewards?
      Is flight miles or cash back better?
      I have good credit if that matters.
      Thanks!
      I would sacrifice. I honestly wouldn't care if it was 20% because I won't carry a balance anyway. I have Chase Saphire Reserve and have been really happy with it and dealing with them. Fee is $450 but you get $300 of it back when spent on any travel (flight, hotel, etc). Get access to airport lounges and it also pays for your Global Entry/TSA precheck application. 3x points on travel and dining so more for travelers
      Last edited by bphillips; 09-13-2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

If you carry a balance no rewards will offset that. I think the best rewards card is the 2.5% cash back card if you bank with USAA. No foreign transaction fee and no annual fee. The Chase and AMEX cards that earn good rewards have annual fees and the ones that don't cannot compete with the 2.5% cash back.

Comment

Cabela's was always a good one to have because you get points on every purchase that you can use at Cabela's.

AA advantage card is another good one if you travel much. Lots of perks and earn miles with every purchase.

Comment

the answer is none lol. Unless you use the CC and pay it off each month then there really is no benefit other than to have as an emergency fund. I use SW for great points and Amazon as well.

Comment

I have both basspro and cabelas. The thing is to not use your credit card unless you have the money to pay it off. On average, I spend 1-2k a month (for gas, groceries, basic needs, etc) and then I pay it off right away. Not a bad deal since I get a chunk of points I can use to buy new gear

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                the answer is none lol. Unless you use the CC and pay it off each month then there really is no benefit other than to have as an emergency fund. I use SW for great points and Amazon as well.

Here come the CC dads to bible thump you...

Comment

I use my Southwest card for everything. I pay it off every Friday. I just booked my 35th free flight on Southwest earlier this week.

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
                    Here come the CC dads to bible thump you...
                    Because someone is offering solid economic advice, they're Bible Thumpers??

Comment

I like my Citi double 2% card. Pay a lot of my bills with it and then pay that balance at the end of the month. Surprising how much builds up by just paying the phone bill, tv bill, etc. with it.

Comment

Interest rate dont matter if you pay it off each month. I got a chase card for points and use it instead of debit card and never pay any interest. Im almost up to 1K cash value and I got it in Jan of this year. My debit doesnt give me anything. Also you have more protections using credit card over debit.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                          I use my Southwest card for everything. I pay it off every Friday. I just booked my 35th free flight on Southwest earlier this week.
                          That's impressive! Are the points only good for SW airlines? Kind of limits the use of the points but not too bad. I love Love Field!

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                            Because someone is offering solid economic advice, they're Bible Thumpers??
                            Ya....sounds like it! OP asked which CC was best to have....didn't ask for a finance lecture

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                              Interest rate dont matter if you pay it off each month. I got a chase card for points and use it instead of debit card and never pay any interest. Im almost up to 1K cash value and I got it in Jan of this year. My debit doesnt give me anything. Also you have more protections using credit card over debit.
                              Do you pay bills online w/it? Seems like that'd give me the most return but sounds like a PITA as well. Thanks.

***ETA___
                              I've only flown 4 or 5 times in my life but would like to do it more often.

Comment

Working...
                              X