NEED HELP Remington 870 Express Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP Remington 870 Express Magnum

Can an 870 shoot slugs? If so, Does it need to have a choke in place? I got drawn for Somerville SP doe hunt with shotgun slug and have never hunted with slug.

My apologies, this is a 12 gauge shot gun I'm referring to.

Comment

They do make rifled 870 barrels for not too much.

But yes you can shoot a slug through a non rifled barrel. Accuracy wont be there.

Comment

yes, just use a thread protector choke or i/c choke and either rifled slugs or sabot slugs and youre good.

Comment

It will shoot rifled slugs fine. Use an improved cylinder choke. Spend some range time to figure out your max shooting distance. It won’t be real far, especially if you don’t have rear sights.

Or, buy yourself a rifled slug barrel, put on a scope, shoot sabot slugs and you will have a 150+ yard gun.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I just plan to set corn out at 50 yards, but of course I might take a further shot at 60 or 70. I will not have a scope and I will not take a 100 yard shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Carta Valley View Post
              Thanks everyone. I just plan to set corn out at 50 yards, but of course I might take a further shot at 60 or 70. I will not have a scope and I will not take a 100 yard shot.
              slugs are pretty cheap.. get a few boxes of different kinds and see what your gun likes the best. you may be surprised at the accuracy..

Comment

Thanks Hully, I'm now planning to practice at the gun range at 100 yards so at least I have an idea of what my limits are.

Comment

If you just have a bead for a front site, don’t expect 6” groups at 100 yards...

Comment

Buckshot and act like you're bowhunting

Comment

You can also buy sights that pin (with set screws) to a vent rib if your gun has one. Truglo makes them I think. I had some on a dedicated turkey gun and they worked fine. At the very least it would give you a consistent sight picture. I had an older Remington autoloader with a 19" barrel that I had tapped for a peep, gunsmith soldered a front sight from a Remington 740 on it and I killed several deer with it. Pretty dang good to 75 yards or so. That 1 oz. slug will turn them over !

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                        If you just have a bead for a front site, don’t expect 6” groups at 100 yards...
                        this. you really need a front and rear sight to really dial it in.

Comment

Thanks, I will look at getting a rear pin

Comment

Use either a cylinder choke, or improved cylinder. Also there used to be rifled chokes available for the Remington. Use standard (foster type) slugs in that unrifled barrel, use some kind of rear sight.

Comment

thanks, softpoint

Comment

Working...
                              X