Right to work in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to work in Missouri

Well proposition A right to work go voted down here in Missouri by a land slide. 65 percent to 35 percent. I have to say even though I own a non union company I'm very happy it didn't go through.

Cliff's notes?

Does RTW basically mean an employer can fire an employee for any(no) reason?

Comment

Not sure why anyone would be happy about that

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy123 View Post
        Well proposition A right to work go voted down here in Missouri by a land slide. 65 percent to 35 percent. I have to say even though I own a non union company I'm very happy it didn't go through.
        Could you explain why you're so happy about it?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Not sure why anyone would be happy about that
          All you have to do is look at wages and compare state to state it's very simple. The average painter makes $15 TO $20 in Arkansas and the man with the same skills makes $33 an hour in Missouri in the union. I pay my guys $25 an hour as a non union contractor. It keeps all the wages up union and non union alike. I don't know anyone that would want to make less money for the same job.

Comment

I was keeping an eye on this. Glad to see it didn't pass I need my pension fund to keep being fed (Local 513 Operating Engineers).

Comment

All you have to do is look at wages and compare state to state it's very simple. The average painter makes $15 TO $20 in Arkansas and the man with the same skills makes $33 an hour in Missouri in the union. I pay my guys $25 an hour as a non union contractor. It keeps all the wages up union and non union alike. I don't know anyone that would want to make less money for the same job.
              Which in turn drives up cost of goods and services, the cost of living is higher, proportionally speaking, so it is a wash really

Comment

ok

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  I was keeping an eye on this. Glad to see it didn't pass I need my pension fund to keep being fed (Local 513 Operating Engineers).
                  Thats one of the things i was most concerned about alot of my friemds and family have paid into there pensions there whole life and it could have been detrimental to there retirement . I think most folks have no idea what right to work actually means I've never heard a good argument for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Which in turn drives up cost of goods and services, the cost of living is higher, proportionally speaking, so it is a wash really
                    I typed the same thing but decided to erase it. I guess i somehow knew someone would .

I'll add, less job opportunities as i believe more and more companies are moving to right to work states.

Comment

Thats one of the things i was most concerned about alot of my friemds and family have paid into there pensions there whole life and it could have been detrimental to there retirement . I think most folks have no idea what right to work actually means I've never heard a good argument for it.
                      Does having a job without having to pay a bunch of idiots(my experiance with unions) mean anything to you?? seems like you want the benefits from both sides?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        Exactly.

Solid point above.

"I was most concerned about alot of my friends and family have paid into there pensions there whole life and it could have been detrimental to there retirement." Your statement contradicts itself. If they have paid in their whole life, their entire pension is funded with their own money, sitting in a bank account somewhere. So how would that affect anyone in retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          Exactly.

"I was most concerned about alot of my friends and family have paid into there pensions there whole life and it could have been detrimental to there retirement." Your statement contradicts itself. If they have paid in their whole life, their entire pension is funded with their own money, sitting in a bank account somewhere. So how would that affect anyone in retirement?
                          The issue is that just like congress in part has squandered social security so have the unions with Union retirement money. Without people paying into the plans both plans would be bankrupt faster than you can say "broke"

Comment

[QUOTE=WItoTX;13535066]Exactly.

Solid point above.

"I was most concerned about alot of my friends and family have paid into there pensions there whole life and it could have been detrimental to there retirement." Your statement contradicts itself. If they have paid in their whole life, their entire pension is funded with their own money, sitting in a bank account somewhere. So how would that affect anyone in retirement?[/QUOT

Not sure how all pensions work but my union pension plan is Central Pension Fund one large account paid into by all members. I don't believe any of the Unions in Missouri are individual pension accounts I know teachers laborers carpenters and operators are not.

Comment

Every company in the st.louis area is hiring union and non union right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X