Buck attacked in my front yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck attacked in my front yard

Yotes or Cougar are my best guess. Looks like the attack happened 40 yards from my front door...buck was found dead about 30 yards from my bedroom. There is fur in the barbed wire where it had went through or got dragged through. Not sure if it was a fight between the deer and the killer(s) or just drag marks from it/them eating. Blood was all over the place in about a 20 yard circle.

I’m a light sleeper and often wake to coyotes howling/yipping in the distance...my dog is pretty vigilant as well and she was in her bed in my room and never alerted. Look at the missing front quarter and how much of the deer seemed to be missing, I lean towards a pack of yotes, but because the dog and I didn’t hear anything I tend to think lion.

Something killed one of my longhorn calfs last year.

We are overrun with coyotes. Lots of bobcats and foxes out here too. Many of the neighbors have seen mountain lions over the years. One neighbor saw a kudamundi go after his barn cat. Another neighbor swears up and down him and his wife watched a jaguarundi walk across the dirt road....and the next door neighbors saw it as well. Crazy stuff around here.

Wow thats too close to home

Comment

wow that is crazy, good looking buck too. Very odd your dog didn't get alarmed!

Comment

Don't think it's a mountain lion.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrye View Post
          wow that is crazy, good looking buck too. Very odd your dog didn't get alarmed!

Yeah, I’m bewildered. Many years ago I had a neighbors husky kill one of my sheep. I drug it into the creek behind my house...about the same distance. The yotes came and got it that night.....man they were loud!! Waiting for one to knock on the door! This is why I have a very hard time believing it was a pack of yotes. I’ll be sitting out there soon, waiting and watching and ready to smoke something.

Comment

I have a new calf on the ground and a few on the way, so I’m very concerned. I tried calling a few weeks ago and dropped this bobcat (my second one out here).

Comment

I think if it had been a mountain lion, the deer would have had a broken back....that is their MO.

Comment

That’s crazy stuff right there

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                  Yeah, I’m bewildered. Many years ago I had a neighbors husky kill one of my sheep. I drug it into the creek behind my house...about the same distance. The yotes came and got it that night.....man they were loud!! Waiting for one to knock on the door! This is why I have a very hard time believing it was a pack of yotes. I’ll be sitting out there soon, waiting and watching and ready to smoke something.
                  You should invest in several trail cameras and see what's going on.

Comment

My vote is dogs or coyotes. I can't see any sign of a bite on the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Don't think it's a mountain lion.
                      Nope. They don't eat that much and would not have ate it there..

Comment

Mountain lion would have drug it and hid it somewhere also

Comment

That's a old buck too.

Comment

That was a nice buck too

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                              My vote is dogs or coyotes. I can't see any sign of a bite on the neck.

I inspected the neck, there were some fairly large punctures (either side), though I couldn’t say it was K-9 or Cat. Highly unlikely it was dogs, we don’t have many roamers around here...especially a pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X