Youth in our footsteps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth in our footsteps

I like seeing on here throughout the season all the pictures of youth having success hunting or fishing, and the smile on their faces and look in their eyes that tell a story they will remember for a lifetime. I still remember when I was growing up learning to shoot and hunt and fish. In the summer time my father would take me down to the river on the ranch to go fishing, and the excitement I felt every time my cork would bobble and go under. He was there when I took my first shot at a buck, leaning up against a huge old oak tree with my hand me down lever action .243, getting bit by that scope and knocked to the ground, jumping up hoping I claimed my first deer, only to see my father laughing at the lesson I learned on holding a gun properly, and assuring me there would be another chance. And a month later he was next to me when I made the shot that claimed my first deer. Many more hunts after that I shared with my father, learning more and more on the true value of hunting and why we do it. To this day i still remember the feeling and excitement I had of taking those shots, and the memories that were made along with it.

I still hunt every year and puts lots of time in on fishing and preparing for hunting season, processing animals and thankful to the Lord every day for the resources he gives us. But taking shots today don't produce the same feelings they did as a child. Don't get me wrong, my heart still races at full draw, and I still smile at the sight of a deer on the ground and thankful each time.

Almost nine years ago I became a father to my first son, and at the time I had no idea what I was in for. As the years have gone by, I've watched this boy transform into the child that I was, and begin to develop the passion I had for the outdoors. This year, after many times at the range shooting, I decided he was ready for his first deer season, and he quickly and eagerly agreed. We put in a lot of time in the blind and passed on many shots because the deer would not present the shot he needed when he was ready, and he learned the patience that comes along with it. His efforts paid off big for him this season, as I watched him not only kill his first buck, but also his first doe, and he made 2 awesome shots. The look on his face and the hours on constantly reliving the moment, describing the hunt to me and family, was just priceless. And for me, it brought the feeling back to me I had as a child. Now as a father I got to relive that excitement through my son, and I've found that I enjoy my son hunting and putting the time in and being successful more than I enjoy it for myself. He has 2 young brothers that admire him and were so happy for him, and they too are slowing coming up in my footsteps.

So I'd like to dedicate this thread to the youth following in our footsteps as hunters and outdoorsman, and to use this as a place to be able to share those memories whether through stories or photos.

Here is my son with his 2 kills this year

Banded Drake Custom Calls

Had both of my sons dove hunt and fish with me, but neither likes deer hunting. Too slow for em i guess.

Comment

Great thread!! I could type for days. My son is now 15 and made his first solo hunt tbis year. Guess he's officially graduated and I've lost my hunting buddy

He's come a long way and I thank the Lord for my dad instilling the outdoors in me. I hope to pass down half of what he has taught me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome congrats. Your right. There is nothing like watching your children love the same passion of the outdoors as you do. Then to see them succeed is a great gift from God that will put a smile on your face a mile long.

Comment

She's been my side kick from day one!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	24527241

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	24527242

Comment

[ATTACH]893329[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893330[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]893331[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893332[/ATTACH]

Comment

I’m lucky enough to be raising 2 hunting buddies myself. Nothing better in the world for me than a smile on a child’s face!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothin better than the next generation having some success.
                  It's officially dark and I did not kill a deer this year. First time in 40 years I didn't kill a deer. But my son put some meat in the freezer for us and I am proud

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Nothin better than the next generation having some success.
                    It's officially dark and I did not kill a deer this year. First time in 40 years I didn't kill a deer. But my son put some meat in the freezer for us and I am proud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

This season was awesome for me and the kids. I am definitely blessed they both enjoy the outdoors as much as I do!!!

Comment

Sadly, this is a dying breed. Sales of hunting licenses continue to slowly decline while Tx population increases. The sad fact is that many of today's youth would rather play Deer Hunter IV on their X-Box than actually slip in to the mud and chill of a fall morning. Additionally, almost all the population increase in in the Hispanic culture, which has small history of hunting.
                        Not just a hunting thing. Youth care more about the environment, but know little about it. The US kids that have raised a tomato from seed to fruit are now a trivially small number. God help our country.

Comment

Marina Wilson

Comment

Hannah Wilson

Great thread and pics!
                            Congrats to all...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X