Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about a recent hunting trip? Refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about a recent hunting trip? Refund?

Do you think its too much to ask for a partial refund if:

1.) You were told you would be the only group staying at the lodge and hunting on the ranch but got there only to find out that not to be case. Then told that the person wasn't going to be hunting the same place only to later be actually riding in the vehicle dropping him off and picking him up.

2.) Told that there would not be any size restrictions but then later after arrival told that is not the case and asked to sign paperwork stating penalties for minimal restrictions.

3.) Told that you would meet at a certain time the next day but you get an email after 10 the night before your 5 hour road trip that its going to be 2 hours later than planned.

4.) After three days hunting with our group of 4 and including the other person that wasn't going to be there not one person even saw a doe or buck.

5.) You get offered to come back later in the season when you mention a partial refund. Only to have to ask for dates when none were offered as originally stated and then when you chose a date you are told that you should come later because the water is too high and probably will not go down in 3 weeks. That was only after never hearing anything back again.

My time is really worth more than the money and I really feel bad about the trip for the group I took with me. They looked forward to this trip the whole year. I feel like there is not special effort to get us back unless it just falls on a dates that don't get filled. I'm the one always having to initiate the contact.

What are some of the thoughts you guys have? Is it too much to ask for a partial refund in a situation like this?

Thanks,
    Stephen

I would want a full refund.

Comment

What if you had prepaid reservations at a restaurant and arrived on time to find they had given your table to someone else? Then they made you share a table with some strangers and were told they are out of any of the dishes you want. When you do get your food it's cooked poorly. Pretty sure you wouldn't hesitate to want your money back. Not knocking the day leases but if their gonna charge money for a service then they should be held accountable as any other business. Just like restaurants they'll either get their butts in gear or they'll get gone.

Comment

what pace is this ? i want to make sure i dont book a hunt there .
        there is a lot of day lease crooks .

Comment

Sounds exactly like our last experience with Quatro B Ranch several years back!

Comment

Man I hate to read this.
            One of my biggest fears is that I will accidentally book 2 groups for the same weekend.
            I have never done that but alot of times when folks call me I am on the road without a good way to get it written down.

The fellow over at Busy B did it accidentally last year. He not only refunded them their money he called me to arrange to have them hunt my place as they had already driven from Missouri to get to him.

If you were told you had the ranch to yourself, he should have given you your money back.

JMO

Comment

i would ask for one, all they can say is "no"; then you will know if you want to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                Man I hate to read this.
                One of my biggest fears is that I will accidentally book 2 groups for the same weekend.
                I have never done that but alot of times when folks call me I am on the road without a good way to get it written down.

The fellow over at Busy B did it accidentally last year. He not only refunded them their money he called me to arrange to have them hunt my place as they had already driven from Missouri to get to him.

If you were told you had the ranch to yourself, he should have given you your money back.

JMO
                Jason is awesome. I hunted his place about 11 years ago before it was high fenced. Saw a Lot of deer, but no shooters, did manage to kill a bob cat.

Comment

I am curious to know who/where this guide/outfitter is.

Not sure how much you are comfortable sharing publicly but could you tell us what area they are in?

Comment

I have hunted many different places over the past 20 years and guided with different outfitters over the past 8 or 9 years and I would normally side with the outfitter. It is called hunting not killing. In this case, with the results and the somewhat flakieness of the guy, I would be tempted to be stern but not rude (at first) about a refund or another hunt and to be under the agreed conditions. I have never hunted anywhere in the state of texas nor guided anywhere that we didnt atleast see something. That is just p iss poor outfitting and business in my eyes. When you book a hunt or guide/outfit people it should be an upfront and clear that it is not a 100%garuntee that you will leave with something, but 5 people in 3 days not seeing anything is unusual. Sounds like they pressure the crap out of the place or just threw yall out there sight unseen and no scouting at all. I have been on some pretty shady hunts the one thing I have learned from those and the outfitters I have guided for (who have been great i will add) is to be upfront and clear about all stipultaions, if any and even on paper if necessary, when any money exchanges hands. A deposit is a deposit you pay $200 on a $1000 hunt and dont show you cost the outfitter a possible $800. I have had an accident and required surgery the day I was suppose to leave for a hunt and the outfitter said i could use my deposit toward another hunt later on. I saw this as even in my eyes.
                    Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Not seeing anything is just the way it goes sometimes. But the other things you listed should not have happened. I would ask for a full refund and be happy with at least half.

Comment

If you think about it this way it is essentially a breach of contract. You bargained for a weekend of hunting with just your group, were told you could hunt any size deer, and given specific times. When the ranch manager accepted your payment he agreed to abide by all that was bargained for. When he didn't fulfill his part of the bargain he breached the contract and thus you are entitled to rescission, meaning you're entitled to your money back. Hunting is obviously never guaranteed to be a success but as a rancher you can guarantee the things you can control such as who is booked for one weekend, and even if you make a mistake it is your duty as a rancher to make up for that somehow. I would definitely get your money back.

Comment

Taken individually, items 1, 3, and 4 seem within the norm of hunting (like Buff and DuramaxDude said, stuff happens). However, item 2 and 5 are significantly highlighting the outfitter's poor display of integrity. It's painfully obvious that he's blowing you off, being that you're the one to always make contact. His strategy is to tire you out, then hopefully you'll go away. If I were the outfitter, I'd be so embarrassed that I would be bending over backwards to make it right.

Yeah, I'd ask for a refund, and more than half.

Give him a chance, but if he doesn't come thru, then I'd plaster his name/company on the internet (make sure to only tell it like it played out, not embellished in anyway). Lots of hunters who hire outfitters would certainly be helped by your feedback, positive or negative.

Sorry that you had this experience.

Comment

I believe that you are entitled to a portion of your payment, if not all of it.

Comment

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've hunted a place, seen nothing, and the owner said "man, you shoulda been here a couple days ago" while he stands there scratching his head and pretending to be puzzled.

A LOT of landowners see hunting as an easy way to make some extra money. Just set up some blinds and feeders and start collecting checks.

Comment

Working...
                              X