Process Technology. San Jac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
    I'm at L I t Beaumont now . Ill graduate in December . I've been a carpenter for 22 years. Business owner for 12 . With 4 years industrial construction experience. GpA of 3.8 . I've tested and passed the Exxon test . I've having a hard time with my résumé . If anyone has a web site or tips please let me know.
    The school should have someone in the counseling department who can help you with that. I had resume help when I was in school for my Ptech degree and I had a job in like a month. Good luck

Comment

Anyone know any plants that hire without the ptech degree?
      I have a bachelors degree in finance, real estate, and associates in business admin.
      Last edited by TheNation; 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

San Jac on Wallisville is packed and it is hard to get accepted. Congrats as guys are being hired that go thru the program.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
          This may be a dumb question, but I don't need basics right? All I gotta do is start their 2 year degree program and be done for my associates? Thanks
          Not sure now...I took it in the mid-90's.

If you want to be an operator...be sure you can use a pair of Channel-Locks and cook like a chef!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Not sure now...I took it in the mid-90's.

If you want to be an operator...be sure you can use a pair of Channel-Locks and cook like a chef!
            Come on man that's not right...I prefer my pipe wrench over my channel locks

Comment

Originally posted by TheNation View Post
              Anyone know any plants that hire without the ptech degree?
              I have a bachelors degree in finance, real estate, and associates in business admin.
              How do you feel about working outside? You have a lot of experience in places far away from being an Operator. Don't discouraged I used to be like you. Be willing to learn learn learn! I'm 8 years in and the pay is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                How do you feel about working outside? You have a lot of experience in places far away from being an Operator. Don't discouraged I used to be like you. Be willing to learn learn learn! I'm 8 years in and the pay is great.
                I don't mind working outdoors at all, I actually would prefer it rather than have an office job. I just graduated in May with my degrees, but now I decided I would rather be a process operator instead. Im just wondering do I need to complete the ptech degree also, or would my schooling be ok for landing me a job.

Comment

I don't mind working outdoors at all, I actually would prefer it rather than have an office job. I just graduated in May with my degrees, but now I decided I would rather be a process operator instead. Im just wondering do I need to complete the ptech degree also, or would my schooling be ok for landing me a job.
                  I know for a fact that you can get hired on with Exxon Mobil as an operator with a bachelors degree. Actually getting hired on as an operator and having a bachelors can give you step up on working up the chain as long as your a good hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
                    I know for a fact that you can get hired on with Exxon Mobil as an operator with a bachelors degree. Actually getting hired on as an operator and having a bachelors can give you step up on working up the chain as long as your a good hand.
                    Thats good to hear so I probably just save money and skip the ptech degree if its not required. Is it a particular Exxon I should apply too?

Comment

Exxon and several other plants up and down the channel don't require a degree or experience!

Comment

Can't be all that bad being an operator. I had two coworkers recently retire and they both had over two million combined in their pensions and 401K's.
                        Those overtime hours and working a few holidays help.
                        So does working for a major company and not a contractor.
                        Contractors may make more hourly at times. But, compare the WHOLE benefit package and the company employee normally comes out on top.

Comment

Thats good to hear so I probably just save money and skip the ptech degree if its not required. Is it a particular Exxon I should apply too?
                          Those posters should also tell you the percentage of guys walking in with no schooling or degree in process is small. Yeah guys hire on with Bachelors but it's not a majority. If I was in your position I'd enroll in some Ptech courses. They aren't that hard. Having the degree with open more doors more for you. Even if you go 1 semester and get a job look what you've gained. That's what I did.

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          Can't be all that bad being an operator. I had two coworkers recently retire and they both had over two million combined in their pensions and 401K's.
                          Those overtime hours and working a few holidays help.
                          So does working for a major company and not a contractor.
                          Contractors may make more hourly at times. But, compare the WHOLE benefit package and the company employee normally comes out on top.

Yeah no reason for a person to not retire a millionaire.

Comment

Instrument /analyzer

I would recommend instrument then analyzer classes at San jac or lee either one. They offer all of them at night. So if you wanted to you can work and take classes . I worked for a contractor to get plant experience on your resume and took classes at night . I work at a major refinery on 225 and got hired doing instrumentation and moved into analyzers now . Get your classes going and stay in touch with me and I will help you get your foot in the door maybe when you get some classes under your belt or when you get done. We have ITI as a contractor here and in sure we will be hiring in house also with in a few more years or some were close to when you are getting done. Good luck bud.

Comment

Instrumentation advice given is gold. I originally wanted to do that. You can have an instrument degree and hire on as an operator but not vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                                Those posters should also tell you the percentage of guys walking in with no schooling or degree in process is small. Yeah guys hire on with Bachelors but it's not a majority. If I was in your position I'd enroll in some Ptech courses. They aren't that hard. Having the degree with open more doors more for you. Even if you go 1 semester and get a job look what you've gained. That's what I did.

Yeah no reason for a person to not retire a millionaire.
                                Thanks for your input. I agree although some companies hire without degrees, its very tough to get a chance. I haven't had any luck yet. Im enrolled in a few classes at San Jac now, I should be done in under a year since a few classes from my previous degrees transfer over.

Comment

Working...
                                X