New Old Bow Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Old Bow Help Please

I bought Tod a Ben Pearson "Cock Robin" 48" 15# wood bow in the box. I am guessing the bow to be very old (at least 50 years old), but it looks new in the original box. I had a 48" recurve string that I purchased extra for our middle son's 48" recurve.

When I strung the bow it has a 5.5" brace height. The bow made a cracking sound when I strung it. Again when I shot it I heard the cracking sound, I only pulled about 15' of draw. There are no visible cracks.

What should I do? It's going to be hard to tell Tod that he can't shoot it when he gets home from school this afternoon. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

That doesn't sound good at all. I don't think I would chance it with a bow that old...he might get a knock on the head if it lets loose.

Comment

I don't know how to help you. I really wish I could.

I did find several really old kids Ben Pearson bows in this Boy's Life archive (one ad going back to 1946), but not that particular one. You might want to try searching it's history here. It's kind of fun, but I know it doesn't help you with your immediate problem.

Sorry

Browse or search issues from the last 100 years of Boys’ Life magazine. Check out complete issues including old articles, photos and more.

Comment

I spoke with "smokin feathers" earlier (after my post) and he told me it don't look good for the home team. I was hoping that leaving the bow strung would somehow miraculously take care of the problem. I have been accused of being a very optimistic fellow, but somehow it rarely works out for me.

The bow looks so good, I know I'm lazy and I use cell phone pics but this old bow looks new. I should have asked you folks before I bought it.

fletcherfor2 thanks for the link, I will check it out. Thanks...

Comment

Don't chance it

Comment

I not going to let him shoot it... Tod was a trooper when he got home from school and his new old bow was here and he could not shoot it.

The price tag is still on the box, it is tore in half but it is very clear that the price was $3. and some change. This pretty little rascal may belong in a museum.

Thanks guys...

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
              I not going to let him shoot it... Tod was a trooper when he got home from school and his new old bow was here and he could not shoot it.

The price tag is still on the box, it is tore in half but it is very clear that the price was $3. and some change. This pretty little rascal may belong in a museum.

Thanks guys...

Glad to hear Tod's a trooper. You'll find him another soon.

I was looking at some of the Pearson ads in the Boy's Life archives link. They were going for around $11 in the early '60s. There was one for $8.50 in '57, and they advertised a flat bow stave kit with 6 POC shafts and feathers and paints to build your own bow and arrows in 1938. The kit was $2.85.

Comment

I put a 45# recurve back together about a month ago for one of Bobs customers. It had a place on the back of the bow where the hickory was trying to lift. It looked like the owner had tried to glue it back down. I could not resist I shot the bow about four times it was a deer slayer . Good shooter but I took no more chances.Yep the DeerSlayer was made in the 50s. The lady was really happy when she saw the bow. ity was her dads bow and she made it a wall hanger as this was my suggestion. I told her these bows are museum pieces and if they are not know they will be in a few more years.

Comment

Thanks guys...
                  Yes I agree hang on to it and the box any arrows are any thing else that came with it.

Comment

I bought Tod a Ben Pearson "Cock Robin" 48" 15# wood bow in the box. I am guessing the bow to be very old (at least 50 years old), but it looks new in the original box. I had a 48" recurve string that I purchased extra for our middle son's 48" recurve.

When I strung the bow it has a 5.5" brace height. The bow made a cracking sound when I strung it. Again when I shot it I heard the cracking sound, I only pulled about 15' of draw. There are no visible cracks.

What should I do? It's going to be hard to tell Tod that he can't shoot it when he gets home from school this afternoon. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
                    Well, Ben, it might have been the 15 foot draw you put on that old bow that did her in!

Sorry to hear about that but you did end up with one heck of a collectors piece!

Bisch

Comment

Ben that old deer slayer was in four or five pieces when I got it.I recon that the cracking sound is under that Wrap on the handle. The Deer Slayer was put together in the handle as a billet bow . I would say if the bows back is in good shape the bow could be salvaged but as I said before unstring it and you have one fine old wall hanger.

Comment

Yep that 15' draw will play havoc on them kid bows, heck that would probably wreck my bullet proof Bear Montana.

Dusty, google this ("cock Robin" Archery Set .) It is a Spokane Daily Chronicle news paper add sheet from 1-13-1944 the bow was $3.95. When you google this look to the right and you can move the cursor around the page. Wow, talk about a piece of history! Thank the good Lord I did not break this thing. I will take some good pictures tomorrow on show y'all this bow, it's really cool.

Comment

Thanks, I did. There must have been a lot of inflation in the early '40s. There was another one in the 12-18-41 Southeast Missourian for $1.95. Those old ads are cool.

And now I'm wondering if we've narrowed down that $3 price tag to 1942 or 43. Excellent forensics.
                          Last edited by fletcherfor2; 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

run the brace height to around 7" and shoot it and see if it still creaks. 5.5" seems way low .

Comment

OK, I couldn't wait... Here's some more pictures, excuse the feet. Check out the price tag.

Comment

Working...
                              X