Draw length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw length

When looking at a custom bow "down the road," do I need to have my draw length measured or get a bow for my draw length? I thought it didn't matter as my DL was just going to be as far as I could pull back anyway. On a compound, I'm at 27". Do I use that or get measured?

Not sure if I asked this before. I ask so many questions, I forget sometimes if they have been answered. Thanks for all the help. Getting ready to place the order.

marshrat, several will say it doesnt matter and that maybe true if your draw is close to the 28" ( industry benchmark) If you are way under the 28" you could not be working the limbs enough of some bows ( to get the most performance ) and if you are way over the 28" a bow could start to stack on you. I would suggest you get with someone and find out your true draw length and then begin your search for a custom bow. I would also recommend you ask the bow builder the loss or gain in pounds for being under or over the 28" draw for their bows.
    Last edited by meangene1969; 02-05-2012, 09:33 AM.

Comment

This ^

Comment

Gene covered it.

Comment

x4 ^^^^^^^^ Some makers will hit your weight at your draw.

Comment

Since you are just getting started, keep in mind that right now, you don't have a specific draw length because you have not yet settled on a solid anchor point. What would be best would be to find someone close to you who has a fairly light weight trad bow of some kind and shoot it a little. Most folks will be happy to let you do that. Once you shoot a little and begin to understand what a solid anchor feels like, draw length is a really easy measurement.
            One way is to place a clothes pin on the arrow and draw and anchor at your comfortable anchor point, then without firing the bow, let it down and measure the arrow from the clothes pin to the string groove in the nock. Do this several times and take an average. That'll be your draw length as long as you hold, draw and anchor the same way each time.
            Wish you were closer, I have a 40# bow that you could shoot as much as you wanted to.
            If you are up for a road trip on Feb 18/19, come to Denton and there will be a bunch of guys willing to let you try out there bows at the Denton TBOT shoot. I'll be there and I will have two or three bows with me, just look me up.

Wayne

Wayne

Comment

Working...
            X