D40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D40

I have been thinking about getting a DSLR for quite a while. I am strongly leaning to the D40. i can't find a bad reveiw and the price is great compared to other cameras. Anyone have good or bad opinions of this camera? I plan to get the kit with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. I have a Minolta stsi 35mm with a tamron 28-200mm lens, which is what I am looking to replace. Is this a good setup for beginner to intermediate use? Do the VR lenses make a big difference and is it worth going with a D60 for the increased megapixels? Thanks everyone.

TexasBob,
    I got my daughter into photography a few years ago and she just bought her first DSLR this past year. It is the D40 and it takes absolutely incredible pictures. It is lightweight and small but yet has a lot of functionality you can grow into. For the price, sub 500 dollars, you will not find a better camera IMO.

You can find some great information on this camera at www.kenrockwell.com. Ken will tell you straight up that of all his cameras, including his high end stuff, the D40 is what he grabs most of the time. He has a lot of "real world" information about it as well as pictures he has taken with it. He shoots a lot of pictures of his two young kids with the D40 and you can take a look at them on his site and judge the quality for yourself.

On the lens issue, the lenses that come with these cameras as kits are okay but they are not the best glass. My recommendation would be get the kit, use the lenses for awhile to get used to using the camera etc. and then invest in a top quality lens or two. As several people on here have said on here in different threads, your photos will only be as good as the lens you have on the front of the camera body.

Good luck!

Comment

The only downside to the D40 is the lack of quality glass that functions properly with the body. I LOVE my d40 and use it just as much as my D200, however, when it comes tim to find lenses you'll find that many of the lenses out there will not autofocus on the D40,50, or 60. If you're thinking of getting good glass, you may want to consider the jump to the D80 which will autofocus with the D and G style lenses, and not too much of a price jump.

Comment

I have a D90, and I love it.
        It is my first DSLR and I have no complaints.

Comment

Dslr

I have the D90 and the wife has the D40. In all honesty the D40 is just as a great camera as the D90, especially if your just getting started. The great thing about the D90 is that it does have a few more functions than the D40 and is a tad bit faster as far as fps. The D90 is however a great deal more expensive. A D40 goes for around $400-$500 where the D90 will not start below a $1000.00. I would say it's depending on what you intend to do with it and all. Just my .02

Comment

I have a D40, D50, D90 and a D700 (also at work we use the D100 and just recently the D300) and my 9 times out of 10 my D40 is the camera I grab. It has a huge range of capabilities plus ease of use. People tend to get wrapped up in megapixels but in reality if you are not making massive sized prints or cropping out huge areas of your picturs the D40's 6.1M is plenty. Just be sure to buy AF lenses since like cfortner said the D40's body cannot auto-focus.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X