Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBI vs Apple

Looks like Apple lost this round...

The Department of Justice has broken into the phone used by a San Bernardino terrorist without the help of Apple. The FBI says it "no longer requires the assistance from Apple."

I dont think apple lost...

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
      Looks like Apple lost this round...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news...ked/index.html

*unnamed third party

Comment

You interpret that as a loss for Apple? Crackerjacks is more like it.

Comment

mcafee offered to help the FBI for free. they have the ability to make a forensic copy of the phone. we do it at work when we have a legal hold.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
            You interpret that as a loss for Apple? Crackerjacks is more like it.
            Yes I do interpret that as a loss. Apple is always saying how advanced and secure their software is, and were just proven wrong.

Comment

Apple lost in the sense that they now understand that their encryption is breachable and their devices and data are not as secure as they boast them to be.
              The breach took HOURS from the time the FBI contacted the Israeli company.. HOURS...
              That is nothing. Hackers are used to spending days/weeks/months performing brute force attacks against systems.
              If you dont think Apple is screaming internally about this, you dont know much about information technology.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                Apple lost in the sense that they now understand that their encryption is breachable and their devices and data are not as secure as they boast them to be.
                The breach took HOURS from the time the FBI contacted the Israeli company.. HOURS...
                That is nothing. Hackers are used to spending days/weeks/months performing brute force attacks against systems.
                If you dont think Apple is screaming internally about this, you dont know much about information technology.
                That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure they're investing a considerable amount of time and money in figuring out how it was cracked, unless it's one of those cases where they knew about the vulnerability but haven't fixed it yet.

Comment

Apple lost nothing. They stood their ground and won.

Comment

IMO the Feds had the info all along, they were looking for a legal way to explain how they got it to match the warrant otherwise it ran the risk of being thrown out in court

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      Apple lost nothing. They stood their ground and won.
                      This.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        if you make a copy of the phone and attack it over and over and over without ever touching the originial device, is that still cheating?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonbonjovi View Post
                          IMO the Feds had the info all along, they were looking for a legal way to explain how they got it to match the warrant otherwise it ran the risk of being thrown out in court
                          Ive heard that take a few times. Either way this is not going to be the last issue as our world becomes more connected................and dangerous! I just pray the phone held no information that has cost folks lives.

Comment

I won't disagree Apple loses in this but so does the Bureau. Next time they go to a judge and say sign this warrant/order because only this company can do this and lives are at stake a judge is gonna say fool me once....Well turns out others could do it so if it was that important why the delay. Principle? No friends the Feds have none.

Comment

FBI vs Apple

Originally posted by Ham Slammer View Post
                              Yes I do interpret that as a loss. Apple is always saying how advanced and secure their software is, and were just proven wrong.

No they weren't. Anything can be hacked given enough time and determination.

I absolutely see this as a win for Apple
                              and Apple consumers. They gave the government a big F U and stuck to their guns.

They will just patch whatever hole the FBI found in a future software update anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X