X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems the broken link was fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      I didnt get to read the article but my plan this year is to kill doe fawns and does without a fawn.
      I did that a few years ago, and shot 2 slick headed buck fawns! Shots where less than 10 yds, and I could definetly tell there where no nubs. I double checked with my binos to verify there where no nubs before taking a shot.

Pretty shocking when you flip them over... I ran my hand over his head, and I couldnt even feel any bumps!

kinda makes ya wonder if they would have ever grown them at all?
      Last edited by Palmetto; 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        I did that a few years ago, and shot 2 slick headed buck fawns! Shots where less than 10 yds, and I could definetly tell there where no nubs. I double checked with my binos to verify there where no nubs before taking a shot.

Pretty shocking when you flip them over... I ran my hand over his head, and I couldnt even feel any bumps!

kinda makes ya wonder if they would have ever grown them at all?
        If you'll wait until after Christmas to shoot doe fawns the bucks nubs are a lot more obvious.

Comment

now i can print out this article and show it to the guys i hunt with and maybe now they will believe me and stop calling me crazy

Comment

It kind of makes sense, but if you continue to kill the young does and let the old ones continue to live sooner or later you will not have any mature does coming up. I'll continue to shoot the older does, seems to be working out for me so far and I've been on the same ranch for 8 years. There are never a shortage of mature does

Comment

Originally posted by fireman0684 View Post
              It kind of makes sense, but if you continue to kill the young does and let the old ones continue to live sooner or later you will not have any mature does coming up. I'll continue to shoot the older does, seems to be working out for me so far and I've been on the same ranch for 8 years. There are never a shortage of mature does
              You don't want to shoot only doe fawns and you shouldn't do it every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                If you'll wait until after Christmas to shoot doe fawns the bucks nubs are a lot more obvious.
                I hear ya. These musta been late bloomers as there where quite a few with well developed nubs.

Definetly wont hurt to wait though if you decide to take out a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                  I hear ya. These musta been late bloomers as there where quite a few with well developed nubs.

Definetly wont hurt to wait though if you decide to take out a few.
                  They were likely late born and would have been behind in development for at least the first 3-4 years.

Comment

I gotta mix it up. Aging them is not overly hard, since a doe that has raised several fawns looks like hell and Miss Bambi is slicked hair and bright eyed

Also waiting till late December/January works, most fawns are just following momma out of habit by then and if you shoot'em in February on MLDP property it's last years fawn and this years, so picking mature, middle age and juvi is pretty quick

Comment

Working...
                    X