Today's critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's critters

I left well before daylight to go to Plainview this morning. My grandad had surgery on a broken leg at 8am, and I went to sit with my mom and make sure they were both OK.

I was between Idalou and Plainview when the sun came up, and the pheasants were out everywhere. They're in the rut right now. Roosters fighting and looking for hens. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I finally pulled over and got a pic of a rooster playing hide and seek....

Surgery went great, and everybody was doing fine. I left after lunch to make the 3-hour drive back home. I took the scenic route down the back roads. South of Jayton, I saw a furry block in the ditch as I zoomed by. BADGER! Slammed on the brakes and shot a U and jumped out with my camera.

He was hunting somebody underground. He had dug up a pretty good area. I think I probably interupted his snack, but he posed for several pics before going over the hill and into the canyon. I got within about 5 yards of him. I figured that was close enough.

He was still pretty furred up, and he is a little stained from all the red mud lately too.

I'm thinking a pet badger would make a pretty good back-scratcher...

Great pics Shane!

Comment

Very nice and glad your dads okay.

Comment

glad your dads surgery went good. and those are some great pics. badgers are mean little boogers.

Comment

nice pics

Comment

i shot a badger the other day at the lease and i have never smelt that bad of a smell on an animal. about like a mixture of a skunk and a boar hog. great pics tho

Comment

Happy to hear your granddads surgery went well. I was also out early Sunday morning, and saw lots of hogs (Silverton/Quitaque area); took one home with me, also. Great pictures. Thanks.

Comment

Great pictures Shane! I just watched a badger last week while I was looking for some hogs. They are awesome critters! Thanks for sharing!
                Tom

Comment

Thanks, y'all. It was my grandad (mom's dad) that had surgery. He's in a nursing home in Plainview. He fell and broke his femur Saturday, so they had to go in and put several screws in it. He's doing well now. I appreciate the well-wishes.

Comment

Working...
                  X