New to SLR - rookie questions for trip to Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to SLR - rookie questions for trip to Scotland

Picked up a Nikon D5200 a couple weeks ago. I am leaving to go to Scotland in two days, so have not had time to practice with settings/etc at all. I have read the manuals and ordered several books/etc. I've played with them a little but am concerned about the overcast/rainy climate in Scotland. I will practice with them as much as possible but don't have much time before I leave.

Was hoping you guys had some advice for a rookie on taking pics of landscapes, castles, buildings, etc. I know the standard answer is "you just have to practice", but looking for advice/guidance on settings. I'd like to get some pretty good pics while I'm there, so any tips would be appreciated. From what I've read the "Auto" setting will take some pretty good pics, but if I can adjust some custom settings and get some great ones that would be awesome.

Here's the setup I have:

Nikon D5200 with the standard 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Lens.

Also have an 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical HD Fisheye Lens.

Also have a Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

following

Comment

You should just take the advice of the expert traveling with you.....and please stay off the mopeds this trip!

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter View Post
        You should just take the advice of the expert traveling with you.....and please stay off the mopeds this trip!

That crossed my mind but he has a tendency to convince me to buy too much €¥£#!

...and mopeds are definitely happening!

Comment

Working...
        X