Who’s bought a half cow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
    I have done it many times in the 70's and 80's, but I just bought a half beef from Stieler Farms in Comfort for $5.00 per pound hanging weight. Grass fed Angus/Wagyu cross and that is cut, packaged and ready to put in your freezer. This is unbelievable beef. We bought a 1/4 before the first of the year and it was melt in your mouth awesome. Did not notice bones except in the parts for soups or stews or to cook and feed to your dogs and the T Bones! They will cut it however you tell them to. Unfortunately they will not have any more cattle ready to butcher for sides until after the first of the year. We got in on the last butchering and will pick it up at the end of May.
    Now this has my attention. I’m certainly in no rush so maybe I’ll give them a call and see if they have a waiting list. Unfortunately Comfort is a heck of a ways away from me...
    Last edited by MetalMan2004; 04-22-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I sell a few calves each year. Typically the cost for the packaged beef is around $6 per lbs.

All my calves are on grass in pastures and provided hay. So, they are technically 'grass fed' but I supplement them with grain the last 60-90 days to finish them.

This system works best for the breeds I've been using and the type of forage I have available.

Grass finished is a different animal but I will be giving it a try in the near future.

Comment

Who’s bought a half cow?

Never heard of him

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Cause you can’t finish one on grass is my opinion. If someone likes it that’s great...but really it sucks ( )
          Yep, grass fed sucks. Imo of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to one of the school FFA auctions. Buy one from a kid and get a tax deduction. You get a great calf and you help a kid. My kids show in Tomball in January, you can get a freezer steer 1000-1300lbs for $3500. In my opinion grass fed is something that sounds great and tastes bad. It's like the hormone, antibiotic free chickens. No chicken has antibiotics in them.

Comment

Grain fed beef is typical of US beef. Australia typically feeds their beef out on grass. Grain fed beef has white colored marbling (intramuscular fat) thats where the good flavor comes from. Grass fed beef is usually a yellowish colored fat and a much different flavor.
              Our kids feed commercial steers as a 4-H project every year. The quality of the meat us unbelievable. You can find these animals on the auction block each year at county fairs across the state. If you don't want to buy a whole or half calf groups of people get together and split it amongst themselves. Its a win, win for the exhibitors and the consumers.
              Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Wiatreks meat market in poth Texas sells half, front quarters or hind quarters. You can't beat their meat!
                Nor would I want to

Comment

Grass fed beef tastes like grass to me. No bueno. I’d rather buy fresh steaks and cook them the same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X