No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut the okra this evening on one long row (about 150 feet) and a short row (about 50 feet)... We're getting a cutting like this about every 3 days now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6863.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	24501129

Cut our first eggplant. It still probably would have grown a bit, but the way it grew, it was deformed as it was pressing down on a big branch just below it. The rest of the plants are going nuts right now with probably 50 eggplants of various sizes.
    Also cut the first batch of zucchini and squash after I did battle with the squash vine borers... They seem to be as healthy as they were before the plants got hit by the borers. Haven't seen any more evidence of them on any of the plants so far... got my fingers crossed on that... Maters are about done... they just never recovered from all the rain.

Name:	IMG_6859.JPG
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	24501128

Wife put up more pickles and the last of the good maters last saturday...

Name:	IMG_6835.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	24501130

Comment

Here's a few pics of our garden. The weeds and bugs are going crazy with all this rain.
      We've got a big compost pile going which consists mostly of grass clippings. Anxious to see how it turns out.

Comment

Look-n good fellers! Hopefully, I'll be collecting my first chillie peppers this week. From the blooms I'ma get-n, I may have more than I can handle on those, if the plants keep grow-n. First jalapeƱos start-n to produce. Anaheims start-n to produce. Got my first mator of the year start-n to fill out.

Saltwaterslick inspired me so much on the okra, I went and got some seeds yesterday. Gonna try to get a few going before fall frost gets here. Got a dwarf variety so I can container them.

Comment

Dang Shake n Bake, looks like your garden made a heck of a recovery!! Lookin' good!

This was a new garden spot for us this year and we have been fighting weeds and every garden bug known to man!! I'm gonna keep it worked this fall/winter so we should have a jump start next spring on the weeds n bugs...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Look-n good fellers! Hopefully, I'll be collecting my first chillie peppers this week. From the blooms I'ma get-n, I may have more than I can handle on those, if the plants keep grow-n. First jalapeƱos start-n to produce. Anaheims start-n to produce. Got my first mator of the year start-n to fill out.

Saltwaterslick inspired me so much on the okra, I went and got some seeds yesterday. Gonna try to get a few going before fall frost gets here. Got a dwarf variety so I can container them.
            Michael, when I cut the okra today, I cut a bunch of little pods. We're gonna try to pickle some of it with jalapenos and other peppers. Found a bunch of recipes with the googler... Man, there's just so much you can do with okrey!!

We gave up on our peppers. About the only thing that's done anywhere near OK is the banana peppers. I think we've got maybe a dozen pods of jalapenos and zero bell peppers... too much water early then bugs pretty much did 'em in...

Comment

I've got Long Legged Flys guarding my peppers. I also see various predator wasp almost every day. And some microscopic spiders. I did find two cutworms about an inch long one day on a couple of pepper plants. Squish was all they said!
              Other than that, I've been very blessed to not have any other problems, other than trying to get every thing to grow, faster.

Love me some pickled okra! All kinds.

Comment

Gave my tomatoes a dusting of ash from my smoker. Cut worms caused me fits last year on my tomatoes until a friend suggested I try ashes. Cut worms really hate ashes! If you got cut worms try it!

Comment

I have caught my sentry if Assassin nymphs on my peppers, but tonight I had to go Full neem oil! **** chinese sumthin or other beetles chowing down on everything!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell ya what, I sprayed with malathion about a week ago and my grass hopper problem is nipped for a while. Seen just a couple stragglers and several dead.

Squash is blooming, both acorn and yellow crook
                    All tomatoes are blooming
                    Lettuce is doing awesome
                    Spinach is playing out
                    Peas doing good, could use more yield.
                    Cucumbers have several little chokes on them
                    Carrots are coming on good
                    My golden beets are taking a long time.

Comment

Picked a couple rows of peas yesterday afternoon and pulled a couple mush mellons and the last few cukes... I was hoping the corn would be at least partially ready by this weekend, but it seems to be taking forever...

All in all, I just cannot believe the bounty from this little garden that the Lord has given us... we've probably given away/shared more with friends and other family members than we've kept, yet we still have plenty!!!

Name:	IMG_6866.JPG
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	24501233

Name:	IMG_6868.JPG
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	24501234

Comment

@saltwaterslick
                        Let's see a pic of the overall garden

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                          @saltwaterslick
                          Let's see a pic of the overall garden
                          There are a bunch of posts in this thread that show the whole plot when we first got started. I don't have any that show it as it looks today. Will try to take some tomorrow in the daylight... I'm sort of ashamed of how it looks right now... When everything got too big to work with my tractor and cultivator, the weeds outran us... finally gave up. By then much of the early garden was done anyway. Right now, we still have a few zucchini and squash plants that are still producing. The maters, all greens, and peppers are about done. What's coming along nicely now is the okra, purple hull peas and corn. We're getting about 2 bushels of okra every 3 to 4 days, a bushel of purple hull peas in that same time, and the corn is probably 7 to 10 days away from being mostly ready... few ears are gettin' close now, but not much.

To see how we started look beginning in post 72, 78, and moving forward as we got plantings in to posts, 246, 269, 356, 433, 462, 585, 706, and the newest pic in post 760...

Comment

Anyone taking clippings from their early tomatoes to root for fall toms? I think I am going to do this with my Cherokee Purples. My one plant has given me about 25 baseball sized and up, and now, I want more

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been planting suckers when I pull off large enough ones..they are just starting to produce, I havent lost any of them yet! This is my first year doing so! Finally got my sweet potatoes in last week.. It's about 2-3 weeks late, but I'm hoping for a late first frost! My dutch bucket hydroponics have been OFF THE CHARTS this year. There is no reason more people should not be doing them.

Comment

My tomatoes are just starting to bloom. I do have two that are 1.5" big.

My red chillies are doing well. Lost some blooms to yesterday's early morning rain. But my biggest is 28". And a bunch right behind it. Most have some peppers. But a few have really started to produce. Picked 7 green last week. And they are HOT. Got a bunch I could pick green right now. But going to wait.
                                I've got a few Anaheims fruiting. But some of the plants just continue to grow with some stalks 1/2" round. And the plants only 20" tall. They are flowering. But just not putting out yet.
                                Poor little jalapeƱos are trying hard to get it done. Got 4 fruits on the vine.

Thanks to SaltwaterSlick, I've got 16 more buckets full of dirt with okra seeds. I planted 2 holes a little week ago. Put 3 seeds in each. Now I have 6 plants in the 2 holes. Think I got a really good package of seeds . So I just put 2 seeds per bucket Monday.

Here's a few pepper pics.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X