How shot a nilgai with a bow???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How shot a nilgai with a bow???

Has anyone got a nilgai with a bow? If so what was your bow, arrow, and broadhead setup. I’m going to make a new arrow build this year but wanted to hear from some people first. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoyt Carbon Defiant
    65lb
    29" Black Eagle Spartan with a 75 grain insert and Iron Will 125g broadhead

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
      Has anyone got a nilgai with a bow? If so what was your bow, arrow, and broadhead setup. I’m going to make a new arrow build this year but wanted to hear from some people first. Thanks.

I have taken a 400lb cow with my bow.

70lb Halon 32 30.5DL 507 grains Kinetic Kaos 10.4gpi Rage Trypan.

Did not recover arrow. Full pass thru.

Hard quartering away. Entered left stomach, exit right shoulder. Recovered in 200 yards.

I'd recommended hard quartering away shots for his reason.

You are always guaranteed an entrance hole if you arrow an animal, not an exit. I shoot that 2" Trypan because its not failed me and leaves a huge entrance and exit. The hide of a nilgai is thick and it closes up. Have shot them with a .257 Weatherby rifle at 25 yards and never had a blood trail.

However, I'd probably go with a fixed broadhead for nilgai. I've cleaned several nilgai and their ribs are immense and dense. I do not see a 2" rage making it through those ribs successfully. Nor do I believe an arrow will break the rib of a larger nilgai and keep penetrating.

If I was strictly hunting for nilgai, I'd be slinging the heaviest arrow and heaviest fixed blade broadhead I possinly can. 600gr plus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't shot one with a bow...YET. But it's on my list to do.

I've seen reports and video's on here where many BH's have been used.

I'd for sure use a good arrow with a very high FOC, say 20%. I'm shooting Black Eagles and can easily reach 20% with a 125 grain BH and inserts.

I'd be hard pressed to not shoot them with a 125 Ramcat but I'm not sure how those blades would hold up to a big bull. I do know there's been a ton of elk killed with em.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on a 125 grain GrizzTrick. Paired with an arrow of adequate weight and high FOC, that would give you a 1.25x1.25 very strong and sharp 4 blade killer. Just a thought on my part but it's a known killer.

Comment

I have shot a bull and I have two very good friends who have killed over a dozen between them. Nothing special required, typical setup you would use for whitetail, 65# or better bow w a 430 gr plus arrow. Vitals are somewhat low to the front. A quartering away shot is deadly.
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bigharge View Post
            Hoyt Carbon Defiant
            65lb
            29" Black Eagle Spartan with a 75 grain insert and Iron Will 125g broadhead

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sweet. Cool setup. How much penetration did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
              I have taken a 400lb cow with my bow.

70lb Halon 32 30.5DL 507 grains Kinetic Kaos 10.4gpi Rage Trypan.

Did not recover arrow. Full pass thru.

Hard quartering away. Entered left stomach, exit right shoulder. Recovered in 200 yards.

I'd recommended hard quartering away shots for his reason.

You are always guaranteed an entrance hole if you arrow an animal, not an exit. I shoot that 2" Trypan because its not failed me and leaves a huge entrance and exit. The hide of a nilgai is thick and it closes up. Have shot them with a .257 Weatherby rifle at 25 yards and never had a blood trail.

However, I'd probably go with a fixed broadhead for nilgai. I've cleaned several nilgai and their ribs are immense and dense. I do not see a 2" rage making it through those ribs successfully. Nor do I believe an arrow will break the rib of a larger nilgai and keep penetrating.

If I was strictly hunting for nilgai, I'd be slinging the heaviest arrow and heaviest fixed blade broadhead I possinly can. 600gr plus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thank you for all the info. I’m shooting iron will broadheads and love them. Only the last hunting season I’ve taken 1 Muley, 2 whitetail and 4 pigs. I’m hoping to get a nilgai with them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                I have shot a bull and I have two very good friends who have killed over a dozen between them. Nothing special required, typical setup you would use for whitetail, 65# or better bow w a 430 gr plus arrow. Vitals are somewhat low to the front. A quartering away shot is deadly.

Good luck

Is there any info with pictures of the vitals? I’m curious on where and how big the vitals are.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                  I haven't shot one with a bow...YET. But it's on my list to do.

I've seen reports and video's on here where many BH's have been used.

I'd for sure use a good arrow with a very high FOC, say 20%. I'm shooting Black Eagles and can easily reach 20% with a 125 grain BH and inserts.

I'd be hard pressed to not shoot them with a 125 Ramcat but I'm not sure how those blades would hold up to a big bull. I do know there's been a ton of elk killed with em.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on a 125 grain GrizzTrick. Paired with an arrow of adequate weight and high FOC, that would give you a 1.25x1.25 very strong and sharp 4 blade killer. Just a thought on my part but it's a known killer.

I haven’t used the grizztrick but I’ve killed a ton of pigs with the slick trick magnums. I just don’t want to use a replacement blade broadhead on an animal I may only get one shot at. Ha

Comment

Andy Crow shot one in the throat. I don't remember what broadhead he was using.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post

Well that works. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        I saw one that had been full frontal'ed one in the throat with an xbow... exited behind the ribcage, ran about 20 yards and piled up. I think it was a Ramcat BH.

Comment

80# draw, 29" Draw Length, victory XV300 arrow with a hundred grain ramcat, shooting a High Country X12 bow. 55 yard shot. Broadside shot, broke one rib, penetrated the heart about two inches. It ran 100 yards. Bled like a leaking power washer all over the place.

Another one was a 20 yard broadside shot. Double lung pass through. Arrow hit a tree on the other side and shattered. Used the same set up. Some say the arrow is too light but it works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                            80# draw, 29" Draw Length, victory XV300 arrow with a hundred grain ramcat, shooting a High Country X12 bow. 55 yard shot. Broadside shot, broke one rib, penetrated the heart about two inches. It ran 100 yards. Bled like a leaking power washer all over the place.

Another one was a 20 yard broadside shot. Double lung pass through. Arrow hit a tree on the other side and shattered. Used the same set up. Some say the arrow is too light but it works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X