Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Time to BOWHUNT Africa??

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
    I could do the last week of June but not the first of July. Good luck to you guys!

Thanks. We just looked at the moon phase and then picked the dates. If it’s this summer it is around that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
      Thanks. We just looked at the moon phase and then picked the dates. If it’s this summer it is around that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Yessir trying to plan dark moon as well. I was looking at May 25th-Jun3rd

Comment

Justin,

I am a bit late to the game here, and I cannot add much that has not already been said... You have already received some very good information and advice.

I would only add on to the comments from rladner in that the outfitter, or more precisely, the properties they hunt, and your PH's experience will be a big factor in your bow hunting opportunities. In other words, being there during the peak of the season on the dark week of the moon doesn't ensure bow hunting opportunities unless the properties are well managed, and the outfitter/PHs are experienced and knowledgeable bow hunters themselves... I've said it on these forums a hundred times, but it bares repeating in that nearly every outfitter in Africa offers bow hunts, yet only a handful actually have the combination of the experience, the knowledge base, and the management plan in place to ensure your best chances of success....

Rladner and I have hunted with the same outfitter for many years. I'm sure he will attest to the fact that he and I are spoiled because we hunt with an outfitter who, in my opinion, is the premier bowhunting outfitter in Africa... And, I say that having hunted with several outfitters and many more PHs over the many years I have been bow hunting in Africa. Find the right outfitter, and you will enjoy opportunity and success any time of the season that you plan your hunt.

I have hunted the Limpopo every month from April through September. In my experiences, I have had great hunts each and every month, but if you are looking for the most opportunity with the greatest variety, I would agree that planning your hunt around the dark moon from mid-May through the end of September. There is no doubt that you will have the most opportunity over water and food sources from the hides during those driest months. Timing it on the dark moon is a small advantage, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Spot & stalk can be done any time of the season, and your opportunity there will depend on the PH/Outfitter and the region that you are hunting. Some PHs will prefer early season regarding the thick, green bush as advantageous cover, while others may view early season as a disadvantage because of restricted visibility. Bottom line is that spot & stalking in Africa is a great challenge any time of the year. Your success will depend on both your skill and experience as well as your PHs skill and experience. An experienced PH will know when and where to try stalking as the conditions dictate. And, some luck never hurts...

If you are looking to try and take advantage of the lowest airfares, typically they are lowest from March trough mid-May, then peak through June, July, & August, then drop again in September. I personally love September to bow hunt in the Limpopo. I regard it as a sleeper month. The hunting pressure drops dramatically, yet it is still very dry and the animals still have to drink. Good luck with your planning. I will look forward to your hunting report!

Comment

Originally posted by firehunt fish View Post
          Justin,

I am a bit late to the game here, and I cannot add much that has not already been said... You have already received some very good information and advice.

I would only add on to the comments from rladner in that the outfitter, or more precisely, the properties they hunt, and your PH's experience will be a big factor in your bow hunting opportunities. In other words, being there during the peak of the season on the dark week of the moon doesn't ensure bow hunting opportunities unless the properties are well managed, and the outfitter/PHs are experienced and knowledgeable bow hunters themselves... I've said it on these forums a hundred times, but it bares repeating in that nearly every outfitter in Africa offers bow hunts, yet only a handful actually have the combination of the experience, the knowledge base, and the management plan in place to ensure your best chances of success....

Rladner and I have hunted with the same outfitter for many years. I'm sure he will attest to the fact that he and I are spoiled because we hunt with an outfitter who, in my opinion, is the premier bowhunting outfitter in Africa... And, I say that having hunted with several outfitters and many more PHs over the many years I have been bow hunting in Africa. Find the right outfitter, and you will enjoy opportunity and success any time of the season that you plan your hunt.

I have hunted the Limpopo every month from April through September. In my experiences, I have had great hunts each and every month, but if you are looking for the most opportunity with the greatest variety, I would agree that planning your hunt around the dark moon from mid-May through the end of September. There is no doubt that you will have the most opportunity over water and food sources from the hides during those driest months. Timing it on the dark moon is a small advantage, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Spot & stalk can be done any time of the season, and your opportunity there will depend on the PH/Outfitter and the region that you are hunting. Some PHs will prefer early season regarding the thick, green bush as advantageous cover, while others may view early season as a disadvantage because of restricted visibility. Bottom line is that spot & stalking in Africa is a great challenge any time of the year. Your success will depend on both your skill and experience as well as your PHs skill and experience. An experienced PH will know when and where to try stalking as the conditions dictate. And, some luck never hurts...

If you are looking to try and take advantage of the lowest airfares, typically they are lowest from March trough mid-May, then peak through June, July, & August, then drop again in September. I personally love September to bow hunt in the Limpopo. I regard it as a sleeper month. The hunting pressure drops dramatically, yet it is still very dry and the animals still have to drink. Good luck with your planning. I will look forward to your hunting report!
          Thanks for taking time to respond in depth. I will be hunting with African Arrow Safaris. A bow only outfit was important to me, because I have heard of the outfits that try and pressure you to take a gun the last half of the trip and that is not what we are about. I have never hunted here, but I have talked to several references that spoke highly of the place. Including several TBH members.

The airfare savings was the main reason for wanting to look into the earlier dates. We could save a good bit of money if we went at the end of May. Going any later that August is not good for the family schedule so September is really out, otherwise we would go that route to save the money.

Glad you chimed in on the dark moon thing. I have been curious how important that is, because some of the better priced flights I have found weren't necessarily around the dark moon time.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
            Thanks for taking time to respond in depth. I will be hunting with African Arrow Safaris. A bow only outfit was important to me, because I have heard of the outfits that try and pressure you to take a gun the last half of the trip and that is not what we are about. I have never hunted here, but I have talked to several references that spoke highly of the place. Including several TBH members.

Thanks again for the feedback!
            Harry Nel has an excellent reputation. I'm sure you will have a great safari!

Comment

Justin is in great hands with Harry! Justin, looking forward to meeting you at the booth this tomorrow or this weekend!

Comment

Working...
              X