My Namibia Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Namibia Hunt

Just made it back home from an awesome week in Namibia. This hunt is a trip my buddy Stuart had won in a raffle at DSC this year. He took his gf Tina and friends Jason,Justin, and of course I tagged along as well.
    This is first trip for all of us to Namibia and it’s Justin and my second time to African continent(South Africa). I was excited to hang w/buddies and hunt, but I was also a bit worried about it being a truly quality fair chase hunt.
    Well, everything exceeded my expectations. We all had a fantastic trip and hunt. On this hunt we are hosted by Kowas Adventure Safaris. This a small family run operation. You won’t feel like a number here. They are detail oriented and a pleasure to be around. They have to different concessions to hunt. The one we would be on, they have 400,000acres access.

Oct.5 Sat.

We fly out of DFW to Namibia. Long travel hours w/several stops and layovers. Land in Windhoek and are shuttled towards concession. A drive that should take 1hr40 takes 2 1/2hrs because of all the game crossing the highway most of the way.

Eventually we make camp a little after midnight Sunday. Greeted by our hosts. They show us the beautiful lodge and then show us to our accommodations.

Oct.7

After an early breakfast, we take a ride around the home property to get a lay of the land.

Then head towards rifle range to sight in.

All good we are all on. Head back in to lodge for lunch and just hang out til afternoon hunt.
    We load up in 3 vehicles and head off to different properties. I’m w/a tracker and PH named Matheus, he happens to be the first black PH in Namibia. He amazing in his ability to see and put me in on game.

I was literally Matheus shadow all week, step for step. We put in about 40 miles hiking and stalking. I loved every minute!!

First afternoon we try couple times to get on Red Hartebeest, finally we spot couple bulls out a ways off. Wind is rt and we hike in on them. Eventually after about a 3.5 mile stalk we catch up, sticks go up. Bull looks rt at me as I squeeze off and he drops in his tracks!!

We head back to camp after dark and celebrate. I’m the first and only person on the board!

Next morning out again bright and early.

The current drought has taken a toll on the landscape and animals. This was 1 of 3 dead aardvarks I saw.

That afternoon we are able to put a good stalk on a stallion zebra. Actually previously that morning we had a text book stalk where I pulled trigger and rifle didn’t bark as I had a zebra dead to rights! Bullet was a dud..
    Well this one counted!

Very happy with this battle worn warrior. He had a cut on his eye,Hoove marks on hide and chunk of hair missing from his mane.

The following day was bunch of blown stalks and chasing animals. Finally connecting

Steenbok
    Lunchtime had us a visit.

Apparently Jaques the outfitter found and raised a couple of abandoned baby meerkats.

His wife holding one of them.

Funny lil critters, this is after they ate and were relaxing, lol.

Well if anyone has been pronghorn hunting, then you have a small idea what it was to spot n stalk Springbok! Blown stalks,perfect stalks and wind changes. Animals take off for no reason. Even a stalk in a freakin 40 mph dust storm. Then some fortune, stalk in through some short brush, pop up, sticks are set. Got em in my scope, he moves straight away from us. Turns broadside for a sec and that’s all I needed.

Gemsbok steaks and Springbok shots!

Namibia has tons of Cheetah.We actually saw a kill on one property. My buddies also saw a leopard kill and we all saw their tracks on several properties.

Looking for Duiker in the early hours and late afternoons, we came across some females but not any males on several days. Eventually on another property we spot a male that flies in front of us w/no intention of slowing down. We spot another bouncing by. We get off after him and he just keeps slowly moving away from us. We stay after him. Get to a point where we feel we’ve cut the distance, he must be close Matheus says. Take a few more steps and there he is running again. Dang it!! We were 80 yds from him. Keep going for a couple more miles. Matheus lifts his mocks and searches..”there he is”. Under the bush. I look through my scope. I see nothing, lol. I ask Matheus, the bush near us? He says yes. I look back in scope and see what it looks like playboy bunny outline. Got him. Squeeze the suppressed .243. Whack. Down!!

Super stoked for this hard earned trophy. This for those that don’t know is a mostly nocturnal animal. So basically like shooting a stud wt buck that’s only been on your game cam at night.

An absolutely amazing trip w/great people!
    Random pics

Pet ducks

Monster Waterbuck

Trying to save a Kudu cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well played sir!!! Definitely cool to get the pic of your springbok with the hair standing up.[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]I may have a couple Springbok shots tonight!!! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very cool. Looks like they treated you right! Congrats!

Comment

Great pics. Loved the story of the hunts. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks like a great time! I only passed through Namibia for work a couple times. Congratulations on a nice trip!

Comment

Great trip. Love the waterbuck.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome critters! Namibia is on my bucket list!

Congrats!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looks like an awesome trip!

Comment

Awesome write up with pics. They need rain desperately.

Comment

Awesome trip

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesomeness! Congrats

Comment

Very nice! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X