Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Anyone shoot deer with a .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my son killed two deer last season in north texas with my ruger .223 He was shooting 55 grain barnes and we had 0 issues. one was 35 yards facing us and he shot him between the front legs. that deer ran 20 yards and piled up. he also shot a doe at 150 yards through the shoulder and she didn't even take a step, just fell over dead. the gun is a great deer gun and perfect caliber i think. Doesn't ruin much meat either.

Comment

If someone were to ask me about purchasing a deer rifle, I would not recommend a .223 or 5.6 mil. I would recommend a .270 or better. Yes I know many have been shot with a .223 same for a .22. Yeah I know a .22 is illegal for deer but it is still lethal. Average hunter at average range in heat of moment is better off with a .270 rather than .223.

Comment

nobody... ever

Comment

I hunted with a .243 for awhile and noticed that even with good shot placement, they always ran. While I know a .223 is more than capable of killing deer, do you you really want to waste time searching for them and risking not recovering one? I switched to a .308 to avoid this problem

Comment

Just like any other caliber, shot placement is what counts! Good luck!

Comment

My kids have killed a few with mine with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                I neck shoot but no issues with a 223

If the rifle twist is 1-8 or 1-7 shoot the heavier stuff, 65+ grain.

I really like Hornady black 75 grainers... Have killed big pigs with it deer got nothing on a pig
                These are what I was looking at

Comment

Speer Gold Dot kills them stone dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    Speer Gold Dot kills them stone dead.

Yep. 75 grain GoldDots are exceptionally accurate and drop big pigs and deer.

Comment

Yep. My daughter shot a nice doe last year. Hit her in the heart she ran 40 yards and piled up.

She’s killed several pigs with her 223 as well.

Shot placement is key as usual.

Skinny

Comment

243 is the smallest caliber I'm comfy with! I'm sure 223 will kill the small deer!

Comment

Its lethal will do the trick but as others were explaining no exit so no blood trail.

Comment

I shot one with a TC Contender chambered in .223. Used a Barnes X bullet. Worked just fine.

Comment

shot them in the head . simple effective . I cull out deer for a friend that owns a ranch down near round rock . Does a fine job that way .

Comment

Working...
                              X