• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made some Flint Knapping tools...

...now what?

IMGP1132.JPG

Any of you guys knap?

Got any pointers for a beginner?

What books, websites, etc...are good sources of info.

What kind of stone/rock should I start with?

Are there any knapping demos at any of the TBOT shoots?

Check out this video...
    Flint Knapping
    Last edited by tinman; 04-02-2007, 04:25 PM.

That dude's fast!

Pixelate us with your progress.
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Yea, He's so fast If I didn't already know what he was doing, I wouldn't be able to follow.

He needs to work more on his symmetry.

Also, It looks like he heeds to work a little more on his pressure flaking to finish the stone up!
      Just my .02$

The key to flint knapping is to make sure you prepair your platforms prior to pressure flaking or Percusion. The flakes need to transverse at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the way across the stone.

I would start out with some kind of colored glass. It's more consistent throughout and you will be able to see what your are doing. I would strongly advise you to use wear some kind of eye protection and some leather gloves when working with glass.

Once you get where you can handle the glass and make some surviceable points then you can move on to the natural sones.

Comment

tinman, I'm not an expert, but I can make a serviceable point. If you have any questions, Just email me!

Comment

Will do Devin...but it may be quite a while.

There are actually lots of knapping videos on youtube, I was surprised. That guy's video with 17+ hrs jammed into 10 minutes was pretty cool.

I'm checking out the PaleoPlanet forum right now too...good info there.

Thanks Flint Knapper, I'm sure I will have lots of questions.

I met a guy in Llano several years back that was knapping arrowheads from blue glass. Looked pretty cool, I'll try that first.

BTW, Have you ever taken an animal with one of your stone heads?

Here's another pic of the pressure flaker and billets from Axis antler. I threw a Bic lighter in to give it some sense of scale...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00236.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	23824471
          Last edited by tinman; 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Darrell,
            Ya reckon you could give us a pictorial?

Comment

Take a look at some of Darrell's work.

Trailboss

Click image for larger version

Name:	antelope.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	23824489

Comment

Wow. Very impressive, Darrell.

What's your average time spent on making one?

I've always been intrigued by the amount of time native americans had to put into making each arrow. When I was in high school I made a few using what I thought at the time was good arrow material, young willow shoots (learned they don't dry too straight) . I made fletching from turkey feathers of one I'd shot and sinew to bind the fletching and arrowheads from a deer my brother had recently shot (that sinew is some amazing stuff). It took me a while to make those, and I even stole the arrowheads from my dad's collection. Shhhhhh, he had plenty (I'm gonna get in trouble when he reads this. ) If I'd of had to knap the heads too, I'd of had several hours into each one.

Comment

Devin, willow shoots, wild rose, salt cedar, dogwood, river cane, and many other plants were used. I have yet to see one start out very straight. Usually, a little heat and some sweat and you can get any of the straight.

I agree, those are some good heads of Darrell's. I like that big chirt (sic) in the bottom center. Bet that thing would shoot clean through a buffalo... lengthwise... from here to Wichita Falls even. And the way Darrell shoots it'd only take one.

Comment

Thanks for the pics trail Boss. I can't post any kind of pics from work!

Depending on the size of the flint or glass that I start with, It usually takes me from 30min to an hour to make a really nice one!

Comment

Very nice work Devin.

Comment

I wish, Stikshooter.

Those heads are Darrell's work.

Comment

OOPS I meant Darrell

Comment

Darrell? You know a fella named Joe Tippit?

There used to be a rig welder that made arrowheads and would throw em on the ground. Helpers would find one and spend the rest of the day lookin....thinkin we were on some sacred burial ground or sumpin.

He used a soft rubber mat and would pillage my material trailer for 240V fuses with the copper blades, to make his heads with.
                            Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                            l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                            ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

No, I don't know him!

Comment

Working...
                              X