Stihl starting procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stihl starting procedure

Chainsaw. Ms291 if that matters. Must I hit the hit the chainstop/choke/fire once/take it off choke/start/revs up to hell/hit the gas to idle every time. It's fairly annoying. Could consult the manual I guess but that's not really too fun.

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
    Chainsaw. Ms291 if that matters. Must I hit the hit the chainstop/choke/fire once/take it off choke/start/revs up to hell/hit the gas to idle every time. It's fairly annoying. Could consult the manual I guess but that's not really too fun.
    I have that exact model and I dont have to do that ever. Mine is probably about 5-6 years old though.

Comment

Rtfm

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        Rtfm
        Idfwt. Atq. Oga.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          I have that exact model and I dont have to do that ever. Mine is probably about 5-6 years old though.
          Hmm aight. Usually it's just the chain stop but if I don't do this so by step I get nothing

Comment

026 I bought new back in 2000. Choke/pull twice/squeeze throttle to un-choke it and let it idle. Right now your best bet is to get it running and pin the throttle till it runs dry. Make sure your mix is right. Pull the plug and replace it. Check/replace the little air filter/dust catch. Sounds like it's been just shut down and put away with fuel in the carb. I always dump the fuel out into a coffee can and then start it and pin it until it's run dry before putting it away.

Comment

The saw is brand new it runs great. It's just an odd starting procedure.

Comment

On that note though I never really got the run it dry thing. I mean I get it but your fuel is your lube on a two stroke. Seems detrimental

Comment

The saw is brand new it runs great. It's just an odd starting procedure.
                  No, the starting procedure is not odd. The way you are going about it is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                    No, the starting procedure is not odd. The way you are going about it is though.
                    Pretty standard among yard equipment and saws among initial start. If you know something I don't let me know.

Comment

I just retired an old Farm Boss and have a brand new MS271
                      No need to ever touch the chain stop. When cold squeeze the throttle and push the choke/idle control all the way down, pull start, the first time it tries to hit off push the choke/idle control up 1 click, pull until it starts, as soon as it starts work,the throttle, the first push of throttle will release the choke/idle control to the normal or low idle position.

Comment

On that note though I never really got the run it dry thing. I mean I get it but your fuel is your lube on a two stroke. Seems detrimental

I don’t do it on saws because I use them often enough. I used to do it on 2 stroke outboards and it worked.

Yes, the fuel is the lube but when it runs out of fuel it dies so it never runs without lube

Comment

10-4. What I was looking for. Assuming the chain stop kills it immediately on choke. Go give it a shot

Yep that was it. My other saw has a safety on the stop. Guess I was just assuming
                          Last edited by TexMax; 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Some of the oil in the mix stays in the cylinder. TBH I've never read a "starting procedure" in any of the manuals for our saws, yes they are in there but grand daddy taught me how to start these things when he still had this freaking 48" bar McCullough in the 70's (lord knows how old it was) that we used around the property. Darn thing must have weighed 50lbs. His thing was at the end of the day you dump the fuel out into a coffee can then start it and pin it till it's dry. Open it up and clean out the dust and wipe it all down with WD40, sharpen the chain and put it away. Next time you use it set it to "choke" and pull it twice to start. Once it sputters to life squeeze the throttle to get to idle and let it sit there and warm up till the chain is spinnin'. We've never used premixed fuel. Just bought a cheap quart of 40wt oil and mixed it by sight.

Comment

are you a white european?
                              (can I ask that)

Comment

Working...
                              X