Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
calfroper_06
Four Point

Hunt In: Grimes
Default Stained concrete problems. Options?

We are building a new home in college station in a very nice neighborhood. From the beginning we requested stained concrete floors. The day the contactors poured the slab we had problems. The builder forgot to mention to the concrete contrator that the house was to include the optional study in the back of the garage, so the study was poured at garage level. No one noticed this until I arrived on scene at 5pm. They rushed to try and get some concrete but with no luck as the plant was closing already, they poured a cap with the left over concrete around the house. The slab was still wet but they were finishing the other side already.

Fast forward to this previous week were the floor was cleaned and prepped for stain. Stain options were put down in the master were we planned to do wood floors. Color was picked and the stain was put down friday. It looked awesome, the stain contractor said he would be back sunday to seal it. Come sunday the wife and I get back from out of town around 4 and went to look at the floor again. The concrator had not sealed it yet but there were hug problems. Very large streaks and blotches, drips and drags of concrete that didnt take the stain. Spots were buckets set and boards layed during constrution. The study was a diffrent color, lighter and large parts that didnt take the stain as well. All very visiable and looks horrible. Called the stain guy immediately and he met us within 20mins. He says this is the worse he has ever seen were acid base products were spilled. Not really much he can do besides pouring an overlay which we talked about. Im not really leaning to that direction as I dont want problems down the road.

What options do you think I have? The builder is at fault for not taking the proper procedure and notifying his contractors to keep the floors clean etc.

I appologize in advance for mispelled words or grammer issues. Phone gigs
Attached Images

calfroper_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

My entire house is stained concrete. I love it! Although, we had tons of problems with it during the staining process, they (builder and contractor) stuck with it until it was right.

I would say your builder should take responsibility for failing to notify the concrete people. It seems like it falls under the category of ".... the concrete people put in a brick ledge where there's supposed to be siding, so we (builder) will pay for the brick install..."
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
calfroper_06
Four Point

Dusty, did you have similar problems? What process did they take to make sure it was fixed?

The stain guy says usually there are a few spots here and there that he can touch up and faux in as he seals. But this is litterly all over the house. You can see a drip trail with drops 2" apart from the laundry room through the wall and continues half way through the kitchen. Square spots were somthing was set. Its just aweful.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
LWC
Ten Point

Oh my, that doesn't look good at all. We did stained concrete in our new house a couple years ago. The slab was poured and then slab masked off right away as soon as the house was dried in. Contractor said that any paint spill, chemical, dirt, foot prints etc... would show if they didn't keep the floor covered during construction. Staining was done after the interior painting and it turned out pretty good.

I don't know what your options are. I know it is difficult to go back and "fix" stain problems after the staining has taken place. Conventional flooring may be your only option. Not sure what you can do about getting the contractor to take responsibility and paying for the staining that has already been performed?
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
Agdog
Ten Point

Is stain contracted out through builder or are you handling it direct? Builders will sometimes exclude protection of slab but that should have been an open discussion that you'd be very aware of at this point. I believe there are stain contractors out there that can put more into prep to get some of the imperfections out but it's going to require a lot of grinding and polish work. Not to mention you will lose lots of the character that a natural finish would have.
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

You may be able to polish and stain it, check out polished concrete. It could be skim coated and stained also. It is a task to keep concrete floors clean throughout construction, masking it off helps but to tell you the truth it would be better to cover entire floor with plywood, that cost some money.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
calfroper_06
Four Point

Everything is going through the builder. He got me in contact with the stain guy so communication on color etc wasnt second hand.

I really dont want to polish is and loose the main charatoristics if the finished float. The spots that the stain took aell look amazing. The stain guy wiped on some zylene i believe it was to bring the sealed look out. Its was very defined were the problems are.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
calfroper_06
Four Point

A few more problem areas
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

jeez. hopefully he makes it right.
mmoses is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
axisbuck24
Pope & Young

Wow, hoping for a good resolution. This definitely makes me not want stained floors. They are pretty.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
Sunnylab
Six Point

Looks like you are in the market for some wood floors.. LOL.

Sorry about the turnout. Concrete staining is hit and miss. I know people who have footprints in their living room stain.
Sunnylab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
calfroper_06
Four Point

Its very frustrating. The very few good spots do look amazing. I guess I should start looking at wood floors. Just depends on how much the builder is going to cover. I would think all of it, but im not sure what to expect.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Stained concrete is like a box of chocolate, you never know what your going to get, if you want stained then have the guy skim coat or spray top it then re stain it. Probably going to be another 2-3 bucks a foot for the skim coat.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
texaspyro21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Matagorda and Colorado County

Please PM me who the contractor is for the stained concrete. My BIL does that for a living and I'll see if he can help you.
texaspyro21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I bet a lot of those drips are pvc glue, we had issues with ours as well. Most was covered by cabinets but some not so much. The worst was where the framers marked lines with sharpie in the dining room.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfroper_06 View Post
Dusty, did you have similar problems? What process did they take to make sure it was fixed?
No, not similar. They put on the stain, covered the floor and continued building. I wanted to show my parents the color and pulled back some of the covering. No stain - anywhere. So I called the builder and a week or so later the stainer came out. They said they would fix it. They stained it again. It disappeared. They stained it again. It disappeared. Then, they scraped the floor a tiny bit (1-2 cm??), and started over from scratch. That time it took. It is the polished concrete with low shine. (The color looks like worn leather.) I really like it because all I have to do is sweep and mop. No floor sealers or added top coating.

I would think your concrete stainer should be able to address this issue. If you don't mind me asking, is it Exquisite Concrete strainers?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #17
Matt_g
Nubbin' Buck

Do you have the name of who did the stain work?
Matt_g is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I would think that's not much different than ripping up carpet and doing a stained floor from that.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #19
PEC
Ten Point

Is it an acid stain or a dye? This will make a difference on what your options are.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I have no clue about this but could you use a track blaster and remove a small top layer of concrete and start over?
ColinR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
calfroper_06
Four Point

It is acid stain.

It was not exquisite stainers. Honestly i dont feel the stainer is reliable for any of this. His final outcome very much depends on the care and planning if the concrete prior to him.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #22
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

My brothers house burned several years ago (thanks ford) he had stained floors. When they rebuilt the home they ground off a layer of concrete and stained again. It turned out great. If they can get fire damage out they can get that off to start over

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #23
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfroper_06 View Post
It is acid stain.

It was not exquisite stainers. Honestly i dont feel the stainer is reliable for any of this. His final outcome very much depends on the care and planning if the concrete prior to him.
Sorry you are experiencing this. If the concrete wasn't covered after the staining, that is on the builder for not having it done. His subs are only going to take precautions if the he does first. He may not have priced that part into the job and therefore decided not to do it when the time came. As far as the concrete itself, the local companies that supply around BCS don't give two hoots about the finish on the concrete so they make no special accommodations and it's a crap shoot. They will not dye concrete at the plant either as has been done in some markets (not sure if this is still being done).

I hear of more and more builders in the BCS market not dealing with stained concrete anymore due to these kinds of problems. Many attitudes now are if the client wants it they go elsewhere or deal with the contractor directly. Of course the health of the building co. determines which attitude they have concerning stained concrete. I hope your builder is strong enough to weather this storm to your satisfaction.

I'm really not sure what can be done at this point to fix this problem other than floor covering.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #24
calfroper_06
Four Point

It is acid stain.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #25
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

I'm building mine right now. We are staining all our floors. We have them covered with plastic from the spray foam guys. I'm self contracting and have been all over every contractor to protect the floors. So far the only people I had to jump on was the concrete guy. The power troweled the slab real well but still had some areas to point at. I went out the day it was pored and saw bucket rings and all kinds of trowel marks. They came in quick and got it all cleaned up. I still had a few chunks knocked out of the common areas though from framers dropping hammers which I can't do anything about other than call them character marks I guess. You definitely have an argument with your builder though that they are absolutely responsible for. My neighbor had a similar issue with his people putting tape down before the stain was done and it had adhesive strips all over their floors that wouldn't take stain. My only thought I had was what could they have possibly used during your building that would have made those big spots all over your concrete? What acid would have been needed? I would think the stain guy would have prepped the slab and cleaned it pretty well prior to staining. Maybe I'm wrong but that's something that should have helped out atleast to minimize what you have going wrong with yours. It's definitely a job to prep it. Someone for sure didn't get the memo on the stain being done otherwise.
Arrowslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen, Webb & Wilson County

builder should make it right. If they sand and polish and redo the stain, i bet it looks a ton better.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
kingranch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
Oh my, that doesn't look good at all. We did stained concrete in our new house a couple years ago. The slab was poured and then slab masked off right away as soon as the house was dried in. Contractor said that any paint spill, chemical, dirt, foot prints etc... would show if they didn't keep the floor covered during construction. Staining was done after the interior painting and it turned out pretty good.

I don't know what your options are. I know it is difficult to go back and "fix" stain problems after the staining has taken place. Conventional flooring may be your only option. Not sure what you can do about getting the contractor to take responsibility and paying for the staining that has already been performed?

this is where your contractor screwed up... its not the subs fault, they are used to going to sites and being messy, its not there job to keep the floor protected. Your builder should have had the slab protected from day 1 with ramboard or the likes
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #28
kingranch
Ten Point

even sanding wont make a huge difference... those chemicals seep into the porous cement and will not take the stain like the surrounding slab. I know bc I had a similar issue with my floors and although alot less than yours I learned to live with the few imperfections that just wont or cant be fixed no matter what they tried.

id start looking at tile options
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #29
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
this is where your contractor screwed up... its not the subs fault, they are used to going to sites and being messy, its not there job to keep the floor protected. Your builder should have had the slab protected from day 1 with ramboard or the likes
I would have to agree with this, Contractor dropped the ball....
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #30
Scrambler
Six Point

when we had our house built I let the builder know that I would be staining the floors myself. He came in right after the framing went up a layed 4x8 sheets down to protect the floor. He also mentioned that the concrete guy would add a additive to the concrete to help it accept the acid stain better. After I removed the protective cover I swept it many times then washed the concrete with water and brush then used a wet vac tic suck up the water. I let it dry for a couple of days then vacuumed one more time the I applied the acid stain. After it dried I swept off the dry residue and noticed it did not stain as dark as I wanted. I guess the first coat etched the concrete enough that the second coat of stain work perfect. After almost 5 years I am thinking about putting down mesquite flooring over it.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
LFD2037
Ten Point

Hunt In: Over yonder

That looks awful & is not acceptable. I don't know how to fix it but I wouldn't accept it!
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

This is the very reason I decided against stained concrete in our house build. We looked at probably 2 dozen houses with it from brand new to 10 years old and they were all over the place. Some looked good but many did not.

Too much inconsistency for
My liking plus I couldn't get past the echo and the comfort feel (or lack thereof) in the house when it was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #33
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I would look at ceramic tile floors that look like wood. It is real popular right now. I appraise houses for mortgage companies and some of the new homes I have done it is hard tell it is not wood. It will be more durable and help with re-sale down the road. Builder should have to cover the additional cost. Good Luck.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #34
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria

Sorry about your experience. We have stained concrete throughout and LOVE them!
Big Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #35
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This is the very reason I decided against stained concrete in our house build. We looked at probably 2 dozen houses with it from brand new to 10 years old and they were all over the place. Some looked good but many did not.

Too much inconsistency for
My liking plus I couldn't get past the echo and the comfort feel (or lack thereof) in the house when it was cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We have it in our lake home, I was the contractor, went through great pain to protect the floors, still had several imperfections, when the painters masked off the base board the sealer and stain came up with tape, what a pain in the butt, we have rugs everywhere to dampen the echo in the house, I like it ok but I would not lose sleep over it if I had to install wood or tile downstairs.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Stained concrete is a one shot deal. Once something has been spilled, sat, or taped onto the concrete it is too late. My sheet rock guys did a great job covering mine, and I left that covering on the floor the rest of the construction.

I think you are going to have to look at other flooring options. Sorry.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #37
calfroper_06
Four Point

The builder is convienced he can grind it out and fix it. The stain guy thinks other wise but is going to try a spot this evening to see. If im not convience or satisfied im going to let the builder know. I tried to be professional when we met this morning, but anything close to the current situation and we will have to see about a diffrent route. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #38
Floor Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County & State of Colorado

I've said it on here before but stained concrete has the highest dissatisfaction rate of all flooring. Most of my builders charge $10-15 sqft to do stained concrete just to scare people away from it. Now that being said I have done plenty of it and yes it's all about protecting the slab from day one. Once anything other than water touches the concrete all bets are off. By the way tell them not to seal it or it will have to be removed to install wood/tile over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Floor Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #39
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

We did it in our kitchen and looked great from the get to, but after a while, due to normal traffic and cleaning chemicals and so forth, we are very dissatisfied with it. Now I have to strip the seal off and put down tile. Save yourself the frustration and just tile.
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #40
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas Hill Country

Sorry for the bad experience. We tried our hand at stained concrete and the results were terrible. We are going to cover it with vinyl plank flooring.

About the same time we did our concrete, some friends were staining the concrete in their new home and they were not very happy with their results either. I don't think their floors turned out that bad and most of the areas they were unhappy with were easily covered by furniture or rugs.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #41
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Is this is what it's supposed to look like.
Trust me,... Prep. is the key... This was the first stained floor my contractor
ever did... I thought it turned out nice...
Name:  IMG_0246.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  69.7 KB
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #42
Drop Tine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Ours was protected from the day they poured the slab. Framers knew it was to be stained and used a certain type of chalk lines. Nails and materials were kept off the slab. As soon as it was dried in they stained and then covered the entire house with ram board. I love our floors but I don't think I would want to go through all that hassle again. I'm fine with wood floors for the aggravation we went through.

I really don't think there is much that can be done in your case. Tuned in for the outcome though.
Drop Tine is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #43
Abctx
Four Point

Maybe go to an epoxy, or a polycuramine. Look at some of the picks of Rustoleum Rocksolid. Not saying to use that particular product, but it might give you some ideas of what can be done.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #44
lakefork
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS, AR

Your options are wood, tile or carpet.
lakefork is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #45
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefork View Post
Your options are wood, tile or carpet.
It can be skim coated and stained if that is what you want, there is also a product called spray top that can be acid stained, you will be paying for a resurface in place of a new installation.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #46
Agdog
Ten Point

There is still the possibility of grinding, applying a skim slurry, and polishing. The risk is that after all the effort is put into it you still won't like it as it's just not the same as what you originally wanted. I have natural polished floors in my entire home but I painstakingly guarded the floors every single day. Picked up every nail to avoid rust, picked up every scrap piece of wood for an even cure, put signs throughout the home, covered floors after frame, etc. If your builder didn't take any precautions, and didn't tell you that it wasn't his responsibility, then I would push him very hard to find a way to make it right. From a resale standpoint you'll benefit from installing flooring as all concrete will crack and potential buyers are terrified of cracks. FYI I would also be demanding an extended warranty on the garage/study you mentioned them forgetting to pour. It's ok to overlook something out but not ok to overlook it during pre-pour punch. That would concern me more than anything.
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #47
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Question

If they pour the slab and you stained it then two days later you came back and sealed it with that help prevent the uptake of any of the other products that they might use. Once the building was done you could go back and resell it again.
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #48
calfroper_06
Four Point

So they are attempting to grind the concrete down. I was very addequite with the builder this morning that I was not responsible for the problems and if they cant get the floor to what we want then he needs to do something else. He replied with "you can kill the stain and pay to put wood or tile in". I about blew a gasket. I told him he can spend the money to try and fix the current situation but in the end if we dont like it hes still going to do something else and that I was not spending any more money on the floor.

So they ground in the front bedroom and restained. It looks ok, but now there are pee gravel holes that are popping up from grinding the floor. One spot is about 1/2" wide and 4" long. Mabe 1/8" deep or so. This is getting frustrating!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #49
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I would put it in terms he can understand. Find a solution to fix my floor that I am happy with or you will be speaking with my lawyer. If he thinks your bluffing pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks to write up a legal letter explaining that he will fix the floor to your satisfaction or he will be sued. Worked for me years ago. Builder thought I was bluffing until he received the certified letter from my lawyer and he then went above and beyond to make me happy.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #50
calfroper_06
Four Point

I would hate to do that, but if it comes to it that is the best way to go about it. Like I talked with my wife, in the end hes not a friend, I hired this conpany to build a perfect house.