Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
buckwild17
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corrigan, TX
Default Dodge Diesel Owners

Looking at a 2500 4x4, crew cab and wanted a little input . Never owned a diesel before and was looking at the pro's and con's. I do a little pulling here and there, but nothing major. This would be my every day driver. Not wanting another half ton, I'm done there. If anyone has purchased one and have a dealership to recommend , I'll take that too !!
buckwild17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

If you don't tow much I wouldn't mess with a diesel. Unless you plan on driving it till the wheels fall off, the diesel is gonna cost way more for no added benefit.

Why no half ton if you don't tow much?

I've always driven a diesel and tow too heavy to drive a gas, but the new trucks with faulty emissions crap drive me nuts. Was glad to delete mine after warranty expired. A perfectly fine truck and motor can leave you stranded because the computer says the DEF/DPF is faulty.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Bowtechshooter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goliad, Yoakum, Encinal, Kingsville

I am not a fan of the dodge diesels at all. I have one for work and it has ha all kinda of issues along with the 4 other dodges we have there. I am a Die hard Duramax guy. I agree with Justinj about the new diesels their not cheap to keep running with oil changes and def and emissions. My dad has a 3/4 ton gas GMC and it will pull whatever you ask it to but you won't pass a gas station
Bowtechshooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I drive my dodge diesel as a daily driver. gets good fuel mileage. stout. has over 340K and still runs strong. I bought it for longevity
mine is an o4 6 speed.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Doug's_Optics
Six Point

I am on my 3rd Ram 2500 4x4 and have loved them all. I dont pull anything at all I just use them as DD. I am addicted to the torque and pretty decent fuel mileage. This time I went with the Mega Cab, and I have to say WOW... tons of room and the rear seats recline!

I have had a ccsb chvy 2500 4x4 - it was good, but I prefer the Cummins personally.
I have had a ford 6.0 powerstroke and didnt really like it, I mean, it was ok, just looking back, I liked the cummins and duramax better personally. But they are all good vehicles once they have been deleted.

PM sent
Doug's_Optics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Good luck getting impartial answers to your question.

I'll say this, diesel eats your lunch on maintenance if you do it correctly. Everything's more expensive. Keep that in mind. But the newer diesels get extended oil change intervals so that helps a little.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I enjoy it. I don't tow much, but when I do it's so much nicer. My half ton I had before didn't like pulling my trailer.

As far as dealerships are concerned, they're about all the same I think. Really good at sales and not so great on service. When I'm in your shoes I just find the best deal I can get online and get buyers orders and play one dealership off each other until they say I quit.

Last edited by 12RingKing; 06-19-2017 at 03:24 AM..
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

For what you described I would look into the 3/4 tons with a gas engine.

This dealership in Baytown treated us well on my wife's 2016 RAM 1500 purchase -
http://www.bayshorechryslerjeepdodge.net/

We went through the Car Pro and used their services which might have helped some-
http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/bayshore-ram/houston

We also looked at two other Houston Ram dealers and the Baytown dealer had the best deal on the model she wanted.

The truck has only been in once for " repairs"- the oil filter they put on wasn't screwed on tight enough and was leaving some drips in the garage. - so our only experience with their service department is limited to that.

One flaw with Bayshore Dodge is they don't stock any 2500's with the 6.4 hemi (which is what I would highly consider looking at in your circumstance).

Last edited by DaveC; 06-19-2017 at 04:18 AM..
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #8
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Friends places and Chama, NM

If you buy from a dealership, purchase the maintenance plan.....well worth it.

Also, pm Jack71......he'll hook you up at Liberty Dodge.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #9
Doug's_Optics
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Good luck getting impartial answers to your question.

I'll say this, diesel eats your lunch on maintenance if you do it correctly. Everything's more expensive. Keep that in mind. But the newer diesels get extended oil change intervals so that helps a little.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I enjoy it. I don't tow much, but when I do it's so much nicer. My half ton I had before didn't like pulling my trailer.

As far as dealerships are concerned, they're about all the same I think. Really good at sales and not so great on service. When I'm in your shoes I just find the best deal I can get online and get buyers orders and play one dealership off each other until they say I quit.
This ^^^
Doug's_Optics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
J McCoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Unless you're going to delete it, don't bother.
J McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Are you looking for new or used? If used look into the 10-12 trucks that are pre def, some can be had with low miles for decent money. If new your gonna have to deal with the def system. The newer trucks also have 2 fuel filters which are more exspinsive than the 10-12 trucks single filter. I have a 2012 crew 2500 and love the truck, I've run diesels for 17 years except for a 2 year stint with a gas so maintanince never bothered me. The 4th gens are great trucks compared to the 2nd and 3rd gens. I don't tow heavy all the time either, but it'll pull heavy when needed much better than a gas would.

Last edited by KDinTX; 06-19-2017 at 06:00 PM..
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River, Lamar, Delta and The H

Here's my opinion and it's only an opinion. If your going with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, get a diesel.

CON - cost more upfront
PRO - resale value is much better so you don't lose money in the end

CON - gas is currently cheaper
PRO - diesel gets better fuel mileage

CON - oil changes cost more
PRO - you can go longer in between oil changes so it almost evens out

CON - repairs cost more
PRO - diesels have a longer longevity

CON - ???
PRO - diesel will outperform any gas engine

In the end, you are the one making the purchase so buy what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J. Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Rancho
Four Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Love my 2015 Ram 2500 diesel. Just got the oil changed, tires rotated and both fuel filters replaced at the dealership. $404. It is what it is.
Rancho is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #14
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River, Lamar, Delta and The H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho View Post
Love my 2015 Ram 2500 diesel. Just got the oil changed, tires rotated and both fuel filters replaced at the dealership. $404. It is what it is.

$404!!!

Full Service Oil Change - $75.00
Fuel Filters and do it yourself - $88.60
Rotate Tires do it yourself - $0.00

Grand Total - $163.60

J. Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Colwell View Post
$404!!!

Grand Total - $163.60

My oil cost me more than $75 without the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #16
Bobby Ferguson
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad County (Weesatche)

Quote:
Here's my opinion and it's only an opinion. If your going with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, get a diesel.

CON - cost more upfront

CON - repairs cost more

CON - ???

THIS. I owned 2 trucks since graduating from college. Both diesels. I got good money when i traded in my 5.9 cummins on my 6.7 Powerstroke. Try getting good money at trade in on a gas motor truck with over 200k miles.
Bobby Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #17
slabnabbin
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ferguson View Post
THIS. I owned 2 trucks since graduating from college. Both diesels. I got good money when i traded in my 5.9 cummins on my 6.7 Powerstroke. Try getting good money at trade in on a gas motor truck with over 200k miles.

YEP! The difference you pay up front for a diesel will be recovered in the end when you sale or trade in. Shop around maintenance prices at dealers and you may be suprised. I get my oil changed at the ford house cheaper than I can do it myself and with ford owner rewards points every 5th one is free. Just shop around bc not all dealer prices are the same.

slabnabbin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

There's a lot of reason to want a heavy duty truck. I've had two with gassers: a 2004 F250 with 6.8 V10 and a 2015 Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. I don't tow that heavy or that often. Both those gassers have been adequate for my purposes. I'd buy another 6.4 Hemi in a heartbeat. I really thought I was going to get a diesel when I bought it, but I drove it and like it and they made me a really great deal on it so I bought it.

The Ram service package as part of the sale or lease is a good deal. But the service department at the dealer I bought mine at just flat sucks so bad I skipped the last oil change in the package to have it done at the local shop where I used to have my oil changed before getting this truck.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Just got rid of my 2012. In the shop every 3 months for some emision problem or another. Had to replace injectors at 44,000 miles. Oil changes were $100. Fuel filters I did myself for $45.

After 5 years sold it for $9k less than I paid for it.

Bought the same truck(2017) with the 6.4 Hemi and couldn't be happier.

I would highly recommend Bluebonnet Chrysler in New Braunfels.

Last edited by captainsling; 06-19-2017 at 08:17 PM..
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsling View Post
Just got rid of my 2012. In the shop every 3 months for some emision problem or another. Had to replace injectors at 44,000 miles. Oil changes were $100. Fuel filters I did myself for $45.

After 5 years sold it for $9k less than I paid for it.

Bought the same truck(2017) with the 6.4 Hemi and couldn't be happier.

I would highly recommend Bluebonnet Chrysler in New Braunfels.

I bought my truck from Bluebonnet as well. Great people to deal with.

MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #21
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
$404!!!

Grand Total - $163.60

That's the exact kit I ordered. Can't beat it and save alot of money doing that yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #22
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I drive my dodge diesel as a daily driver. gets good fuel mileage. stout. has over 340K and still runs strong. I bought it for longevity
mine is an o4 6 speed.
Amen 03 6speed 4x4 dually 275,*** get around 15mpg on 33" Mts. However next truck will be a gasser the new diesels of any sort just don't excite me.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #23
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

I'm also not a fan of the newer ram diesels due to their known emissions issues. I think ford and gm have ram beat in the current diesel game.

I have driven duramaxes the last 6 years. I'll disagree with those saying don't buy because maintenance cost. Normal oil change is about $120 at a local place with ams oil and wix filters. About 3 times a year at the rate I drive. Fuel filter is about once a year.
So far I'm at 55k miles on my 2015 without a hiccup. About to need tires though..
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #24
stxslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: Pearsall and Comfort

I drive a 2010 ram 3500 with the Cummings. This is my second diesel and it isn't that bad with maintenance. I change the oil myself and buy 3 gallons of rotella and a mopar oil filter at Walmart all for under $60. Change the fuel filter once a year for about $80 from napa. I don't tow real heavy but can if I want to. Never have a problem with power. Cost up front is more when purchasing but you get it all back when you sell. I would buy a diesel every time if I could afford it. Luckily I have the last two times.
stxslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #25
buckwild17
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corrigan, TX

Good info so far , thanks for the input without the whizzing match like on most truck thread !!
buckwild17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #26
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
I'm also not a fan of the newer ram diesels due to their known emissions issues. I think ford and gm have ram beat in the current diesel game.

I have driven duramaxes the last 6 years. I'll disagree with those saying don't buy because maintenance cost. Normal oil change is about $120 at a local place with ams oil and wix filters. About 3 times a year at the rate I drive. Fuel filter is about once a year.
So far I'm at 55k miles on my 2015 without a hiccup. About to need tires though..
It's well known that Ford has had more emissions related issues with their diesels than the other 2. It's been hashed out in many of the debate threads here. Someone posted some statistics somewhere about it. I'll try to find it.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #27
BlackoutRam2500
Four Point

[IMG][/IMG]

I love my 2015 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel with blackout package. I put a superlift 4" kit and 37" tires on it (I actually won a superlift "show us your lifts contest" which help offset the cost of that lift )

I agree with J. Cowell I also order my parts online and do my fuel filter change and oil changes myself. It takes me about 45 minutes to do both and getting under the truck is super easy partially because of my lift. I also agree with Bobby Ferguson, the resale value on these trucks is fantastic! I believe I could still get close to 50k for mine right now... a gasser wouldn't be worth 35k.

I went to Peters up in Longview TX to make a deal and they were super easy to deal with. I drove up from Houston, I did most everything online, so I was in and out in 15 minutes. Dennis Dillion up in Idaho would have saved me about 3k (they are the cheapest in the country on these trucks I believe) but honestly once the wife had said yes and I got my check from the bank I couldn't wait the week it would have taken to get that truck shipped down here AND the one up in Idaho didn't have the Ram boxes which have been amazing IMO.

Good luck, welcome to the family, and post pics once you get her home

Below is a little video I submitted of my lift, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuA_...NV-jU&index=63
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #28
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Full disclosure, I drive a '12 F250 with the 6.7. But I have read, somewhere on this site, that Dodge offers lifetime warranties on their new non-diesel 3/4 tons. If I were in the market for a truck, I would be leaning heavily towards a 3/4 ton gas Dodge with a lifetime warranty.

That being said, industry rumor is that Fiat/Chrysler is about to go bankrupt, again. That would be the only thing that would slow me down from buying a Dodge.

Far as maintenance, don't let anyone fool you, everything costs more in a diesel. Especially if you want to go above OEM level quality. If folks are paying less than $200 for oil changes, they aren't running synthetic, or higher quality filters. I had an oil analysis done last oil change, was told I could go ~8,000 miles between changes, possibly more due to the higher quality oil & filters. With my old gas GMC, I was going 6,000 miles.

Just my two cents.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #29
TXUSMC
Six Point

Hunt In: De Leon, Tx

Bluebonnet Dodge in New Braunfels. Smoked every other dealer in Texas when I was in the market. I searched, researched and called all over the state. FWIW I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB AT with the Cummins. It is the tradesman package but has quite a few of the available upgrades including bed liner and 5th wheel prep group. I gave $41,700 and was out the door for $45,900.
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

If you buy any diesel 2006 or newer add $2500 to the purchase price to delete all of the stuff off of them and you will probably be able to drive it forever.

I don't care what anybody says all three manufacturers have emissions issues. Remember all the Duramax owners on here crying a year or so ago about their DEF system taking a dump in there being a nationwide backorder on parts? Other than that they all seem to be very solid trucks.

I will say this A three-quarter ton gasser will probably suit your needs, however when you do hook a load to a diesel versus gas there is absolutely no comparison in pulling power and comfort.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #31
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: young, county

so you don't pull and you think you need anything other than a 1/2 ton..tons of em here but I don't get it
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #32
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

Had a 03 2500 4x4 *** ho...13 years ..2batterys/5 tires/oil&filtr/fuel filter/2 gromets for 4x4 shifter/ 1 AC compressor(body casting leaks)warranty took care of that was 13y of ownership.....Low 100k when sold was not daily driver.I call that trouble free
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #33
chongo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin & Sonora Counties

I've got to disagree with you on a number of points.

Quote:

CON - cost more upfront
Agree

I'd wager most folks are not hand calculating their mileage. Claims of 17+ rolling 75mph, I just don't believe. My 2011 6.7L F250 got no better than 16.5 rolling 75mph and that's hand calculated on stock tires.The display is not the same as hand calculations.

Disagree. Gas motors these days can run 10K+ miles on synthetic easily and they're doing it for less.

CON - repairs cost more
If you have to spend 15-20K over 10 years in repairs, you've lost your increased resale value argument and 15-20k in repairs over 10 years is easy in a diesel, heck I know guys who've spent that much in 5 years; 2 big repairs or 4-5 middle of the road repairs. Bad fuel or failing to change your filters properly can cost you 10-12K and good luck getting warranty coverage. Emission equipment out of warranty isn't cheap either. Gassers will run 200k-300k miles and will be cheaper to repair and keep running.

CON - ???
In just about every way. I loved my 6.7 and will likely own another in the future but if you're going to own a diesel out of warranty these days, have some money set aside for repairs, you will need it.

Agree. Though, Unless you like to spend money for the sake of spending it or you value the increased performance of the diesel, I'd think a gas motor whether 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton would suit you fine.

chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #34
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
I've got to disagree with you on a number of points.

The majority of issues with a modern diesel with emissions is the emissions equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
so you don't pull and you think you need anything other than a 1/2 ton..tons of em here but I don't get it
Yup, I agree. Why would anyone want to get into a new diesel with DEF? Especially if you dont tow? Maybe its a keeping up with the Jones thing? I grew up running diesels from the 80's. When the DEF came out I went back to gas. Now during that time my use changed, I do not haul much more than 15 k now. I have had the occasional 18k plus load on my F-250 gasser. It all goes back to what you want though, I have 85k and no issues on my gasser and I promise you ot has hauled more trailers than the typical neighborhood diesel. One of our supervisors at work has a 6.4 crew cab diesel, he has more use for station wagon...dont get it
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #36
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

I bought my 2014 2500 RAM diesel with 40k miles on it a year a half ago. I have 125000 miles on it now (I drive ALOT). The def pump went out at 83000 miles. Which the warranty for that went out at 80k miles. All that being said, I don't regret buying it. It is my first Cummins diesel and I love it. I did delete the def system, added a live wire tune and 4" exhaust. That cost about $2000 for everything. I have a 15k lb camper and it pulled it without a problem 5 hrs to the deer lease (I have overload springs). It averages about 19 mpg. I will say that I like all diesels on the market these days. I think that if I was gonna buy one I'd be waiting to hear what's going to change as far as the def systems in the future since the EPA got neutered when Trump took over. Just my thoughts.
Arrowslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #37
Problem Child
Ten Point

Hunt In: Santa Fe

i have a 1999 2500 4x4 with 356,000 miles stock tranny, Edge tuner on engine...replaced ball joints 1 time.....no front end work just basic PM.
i have a 2002 2500 4x4 with 280,000 miles. rebuilt tranny because i added more power via tuner. just finished rebuilding entire front end when i added a 5"long arm lift kit. no other work just basic PM.
and I have a 2003 3500 4x4. replaced the clutch once for good measure because i added Smarty tuner and 100 HP injectors. and 4" exhaust. broke several "u" joints after adding power but have that figured out now...replace axle joints and wheel bearing one time....no other work just regular PM
My experience is if you do regular PM a Dodge/Cummins will last forever.
i'm very happy with mine..and oh yeah the 1999 gets 17 mpg, the 2002 gets 17 mpg and the 2003 gets 18 mpg all city driving calcula****s and YES THEY ARE ALL HAND CALCULATED ON EVERY TANK WHEN I FILL UP.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android
Problem Child is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #38
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
$404!!!

Grand Total - $163.60

Charge your phone STAT! Before it turns o....

2010 Cummins and I love it
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top