Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County
Default AC in the attic is draining.

I noticed it was draining through the drain and onto the back porch. Last time this happened it overflowed and damaged the drywall on the kitchen ceiling. We pour bleach in the drain hole about every other month to keep it clear. Why does it do this and what causes it? Thanks!
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a place to kill pigs!

Bleach really doesn't do anything (or enough). You need to take a portable air tank up and blow out the normal drain AND the emergency drain. This is especially true if you have blown in insulation. Dust, insulation and possibly mold to some degree clogs up the normal drain.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
Bleach really doesn't do anything (or enough). You need to take a portable air tank up and blow out the normal drain AND the emergency drain. This is especially true if you have blown in insulation. Dust, insulation and possibly mold to some degree clogs up the normal drain.
So the drain out side is the emergency drain?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

That is generally a secondary drain designed to alert the homeowner that the primary drain is plugged up. They drain over doors or windows to be seen. AC units create condensation and it has to be drained. Many times mold and sludge builds up in the drain lines from junk in the air that ends up on the coil and from stagnating in the p traps of the drain line. Make sure you have a decent slope on the drain line and keep them flushed. It helps if you start off with a clean evaporator or pan. Dirty coils create a menudo looking mess in the drain pan that will keep plugging your drain lines if it is not removed.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
thegrouse
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
So the drain out side is the emergency drain?
Yes
Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
WhiplashTX
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard

There should be a float switch in your drain pan that shuts off the A/C when the drain gets clogged to prevent it from overflowing.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiplashTX View Post
There should be a float switch in your drain pan that shuts off the A/C when the drain gets clogged to prevent it from overflowing.
I don't think we have this.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
oktx
Pope & Young

Can we pour a little draino down it?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
thegrouse
Ten Point

Quote:
You would be better off with a shop-vac or compressed air.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a place to kill pigs!

I don't have a float switch on ours either.

Your pan (under the a/c unit) collects water and if the primary drain clogs, your secondary drains to the outside and is connected to the pan. The primary drains (normally) into your sewer via normal pipes.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal County & Kendall County x2

Look at all your sink, there will be a drain line coming into one of them. Get a bucket, pull that hose, clean it out, and look at all he **** that comes out of there. Then reconnect and you will be good.
bigbad243 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
LFD2037
Ten Point

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiplashTX View Post
I installed AC's for a couple years & have never seen one of these.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
oktx
Pope & Young

Ok, went into the attic with a flashlight and an air hose. The inlet where we pour bleach into was holding water. I made a seal with my hand and blew air in it for about a minute. I looked into the inlet and the water was gone. There is no way to do that to the emergency drain as I can't get to it. I'm kinda afraid to blow it back the other direction.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Put your mouth over the drain tube and blow or suck....you Sooners should be good at that....

I have it happen once every 2-3 years. The bleach thing doesn't help much. Basically an algae/gunk/crud is building up in your drain pipe from the water draining into it and you need to unclog the primary drain. I plumbed in a ball valve where I can cut off the backflow in the drain and shoot a light shot of compressed air down the pipe to force the clog on down the pipe.....

If you have no place built in off the coil to blow compressed air or run a snake, you can turn off the AC, cut into you main drain line, do the air deal (and yes actually blowing with your mouth like on a straw will work as well if the clog is not too heavy) and then repair. Make sure you have pvc coupling ready for the repair.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ok, went into the attic with a flashlight and an air hose. The inlet where we pour bleach into was holding water. I made a seal with my hand and blew air in it for about a minute. I looked into the inlet and the water was gone. There is no way to do that to the emergency drain as I can't get to it. I'm kinda afraid to blow it back the other direction.
See I told you you Sooners could do it..

If the emergency drain was leaking outside, there is no clog in the emergency drain and no reason to blow in it. Its fine and was doing its job..

Last edited by Smart; 06-18-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
LFD2037
Ten Point

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Try some stiff wire or something similar & run it from the exit end of the emergency drain back towards the unit. Twist it around a bit.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Watch your emergency drain now for the rest of the day and make sure no water is coming from it. That will tell you that you cleared the primary and everything is back to normal. I have had the primary re-clog (or refill) within an hour forcing water out the backup drain and had to reshoot with compressed air. The second time finished the deal and we were good to go.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Put your mouth over the drain tube and blow or suck....you Sooners should be good at that....

I have it happen once every 2-3 years. The bleach thing doesn't help much. Basically an algae/gunk/crud is building up in your drain pipe from the water draining into it and you need to unclog the primary drain. I plumbed in a ball valve where I can cut off the backflow in the drain and shoot a light shot of compressed air down the pipe to force the clog on down the pipe.....

If you have no place built in off the coil to blow compressed air or run a snake, you can turn off the AC, cut into you main drain line, do the air deal (and yes actually blowing with your mouth like on a straw will work as well if the clog is not too heavy) and then repair. Make sure you have pvc coupling ready for the repair.
You are a big help!. My concern is that the tray is very full even with it draining outside.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #19
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are a big help!. My concern is that the tray is very full even with it draining outside.

That's odd because in my unit, the tray is the back up to the emergency drain.. I've never had water in my tray as long as the outside emergency drain was dripping. I've never had water in there actually.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

The emergency drain is higher on the pan than the primary drain so naturally if the emergency drain us flowing there will be water backed up in the pan. Once the primary is cleared the water in the pan should drain out pretty quickly.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
The emergency drain is higher on the pan than the primary drain so naturally if the emergency drain us flowing there will be water backed up in the pan. Once the primary is cleared the water in the pan should drain out pretty quickly.
Hmmmm.....I guess my AC install folks screwed the pooch on that install. My pan does not get any water when the primary is clogged. They told me that if the secondary was clogged the pan would fill up as a back up to it. Is it normal for a pan to hold water when the secondary is doing its job? I need to check that out if it is. Maybe this winter when its not 200 degrees in the attic though.. .

I guess the good news is it sounds like his primary is now unclogged and he has learned how to do it so he shouldn't have an issue going forward..

Last edited by Smart; 06-18-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #22
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hmmmm.....I guess my AC install folks screwed the pooch on that install. My pan does not get any water when the primary is clogged. They told me that if the secondary was clogged the pan would fill up as a back up to it. Is it normal for a pan to hold water when the secondary is doing its job? I need to check that out if it is. Maybe this winter when its not 200 degrees in the attic though.. .

I guess the good news is it sounds like his primary is now unclogged and he has learned how to do it so he shouldn't have an issue going forward..

That's the way all mine have been. If secondary and primary were at the same level both would drain all the time. With the secondary being higher it won't drain until there is some back up indicating a clogged primary.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #23
oktx
Pope & Young

I swear my secondary is lower than the primary. Is this wrong?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's the way all mine have been. If secondary and primary were at the same level both would drain all the time. With the secondary being higher it won't drain until there is some back up indicating a clogged primary.
I don't doubt that but mine does not use the pan until the secondary is clogged. I need to look but my primary is not plumbed through the pan
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
Bill M
Pope & Young

The secondary is from the pan and shouldn't have water and be draining unless your primary is clogged. If this the case I'd be calling a tech.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #26
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Mine was clogged in the sink below. A lot of time the main drain for the a/c, will tie into a sink drain in a room below the a/c. You can get that plugged up. I cleaned mine out there and then shot a air compressor up the line. This broke it up
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #27
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
Mine was clogged in the sink below. A lot of time the main drain for the a/c, will tie into a sink drain in a room below the a/c. You can get that plugged up. I cleaned mine out there and then shot a air compressor up the line. This broke it up
This is true. Unless something has changed in our area since I built my last the primary drain is sent into the washing machine drain which now includes a second drain hole for this purpose.

I got your email.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #28
oktx
Pope & Young

Ok we ran to town for a minute and when we came back the secondary was still dripping. I got the shop vac out and sucked the secondary first and got A LOT of water from it. Went inside to the bathroom where its plumed in and too the pea (sp)? off and nothing was draining. Put the shop vac on it and didn't get much but it is now dripping. The pan under the unit is now dry. Thanks for the help...even you Smart!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #29
tps7742
Ten Point

One of my houses always clogged up where it drained into the p traps with blown in insulation. It got to where i just ended up cleaning it out at the p traps every six months. This occurred until I changed the units out. In my case apparently my plenum was leaking. Good deal that you repaired yours.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

Just went through the same thing. Mine was a clogged sink where the A/C is supposed to drain. Go check under your sinks near the piping....on one of those sinks you will see a secondary pipe flowing into it. That's you ac drain. Take it off and clean it. Ours was full off hair.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #31
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't doubt that but mine does not use the pan until the secondary is clogged. I need to look but my primary is not plumbed through the pan

All this made me go crawl up in the attic and look and I was wrong. My old house was set up as I described which must of been a make shift fix for a faulty condenser drain pan. My new house is as you described, main drain connects to condenser, overflow drain connects to pan and pan stays dry unless there is a problem.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #32
sbushee
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

I've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #33
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad243 View Post
Look at all your sink, there will be a drain line coming into one of them. Get a bucket, pull that hose, clean it out, and look at all he **** that comes out of there. Then reconnect and you will be good.
That's what happens to mine.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #34
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
I've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.
This seems to work better than the air hose. I think I had the main line plugged of and the secondary line part way plugged.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #35
Bill M
Pope & Young

The thing about using the double washing machine drain is no bathroom drain hair. Jason Smart, Todd probably knows if this is a code change that has been around for awhile.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #36
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

Came home last Wednesday night to find my secondary dripping. Ran my air hose up into the attic and blew it out. My primary has a "stovepipe" coming off of it above the pee trap and the connection to the condenser. I found a piece of rubber hose just small enough to slip down into the drain line stovepipe down to the bend. This allows the air to go fully into the line. It usually blows out some gunk into the sink and that's how I know it cleared out. Once that happens, no more dripping from the secondary.
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #37
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
The thing about using the double washing machine drain is no bathroom drain hair. .

Mine uses the washing machine drain as well.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #38
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mine uses the washing machine drain as well.
Mine drains into a bathroom sink half way across the house. Laundry room right below the unit in the attic. Is this code that they take to bathroom?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #39
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
All this made me go crawl up in the attic and look and I was wrong. My old house was set up as I described which must of been a make shift fix for a faulty condenser drain pan. My new house is as you described, main drain connects to condenser, overflow drain connects to pan and pan stays dry unless there is a problem.
Good to hear I wasn't losing my memory and no trip up into the attic....

Quote:
Mine drains into a bathroom sink half way across the house. Laundry room right below the unit in the attic. Is this code that they take to bathroom?
I built this house in 1999 so I have no idea on current code... Seems like the washer would have been easier for sure.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #40
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas

Mines got a float switch that shuts it down when the drain gets clogged up. Blow it out with a air hose and pour Clorox down the drain.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #41
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Blow it out and clean the pan.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #42
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good to hear I wasn't losing my memory and no trip up into the attic....

I built this house in 1999 so I have no idea on current code... Seems like the washer would have been easier for sure.
Ours drains into the bathtub. Pretty standard I believe. As you stated, no idea on current code
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #43
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
i've just put my shop vac on the drain and sucked out the clog before.
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #44
double bogey
Eight Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

The float switch is in the code now. When i blow one out i install a rubber splice with hose clamps so it is easy to do again.

Do not put drano in it. You dont want drano draining on your porch or in any part of your house. It will alo corrode your pan if it is metal.

If it goes to the bathroom sink, put a towel in the sink to keep nasty stuff from blowing all over the bathroom. Had to clean up a couple.

Some of the secondary drain connections on coils will pick up water due to turbulence in the pan. I always add a pan underneath the coil even if the secondary is connected to the coil. Also add a float to the secondary pan in case insulation clogs it. Much cheaper than ceiling replacement.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 11:42 PM   #45
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

I have a sensor in my drip pan that sends to my house alarm. It will tell me if the pan is filling with water.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:52 AM   #46
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Forget the two (2) drain openings on the evaporator condensate pan, that's the primary as far as I'm concerned. Secondary to me is the drain running from the auxiliary overflow pan, a pan that should be equipped with an auxiliary float or wet switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:38 AM   #47
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post
I installed AC's for a couple years & have never seen one of these.
When we moved into our current home, it was set up with a wet switch that was sitting in the bottom of the overflow pan. That was it. No emergency drain pipe. It did work, though. Mine started to drain into the overflow pan, the switch tripped and shut down my system. I tested the switch after that to see how much it would take to trip that switch. Just a couple of dropa of water would trup it. Problem was that the system wouldn't come on until you got that little soaker pad on the bottom of that thing COMPLETELY dry. I swapped it out for a traditional emergency drain pipe system. A/c company wanted $600 to install 15' of PVC pup and a couple of 90's I said thanks, but I think I got this. About $25 later (glue, pvc, and a hole saw) and about 30 minutes after starting, the $600 project was completed.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #48
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I'm sure glad my A/C unit is in the house, not in the attic. I don't have to drag this old fat *** up there when something goes wrong.

My drain has the float valve and the drain line goes straight from the unit into the sewer.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #49
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Suck it out with a shop vac.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #50
Rounder
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I've got the same issue going on and I've tried to blow it out with a shop vac through the access pipe that sticks up several times and it is still happening. I'm thinking my clog might be between the unit and where the access pipe comes up. If I vacuum of instead of blowing air through will I damage anything in my AC unit?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rounder; 06-20-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top