No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I he shows up better make it 24. Just joshing.

Comment

Hello everyone, My name is Bryan and im new to texas. I've been looking for somewhere to hunt. I cant see myself spending 4,000 on a hunt. Being a new Father and a Full time student i cant afford it. If anyone has any ideas so that i can get back into the woods.

Comment

I think I am going to head out and camp friday and sat. See if I cant find a piggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
          I think I am going to head out and camp friday and sat. See if I cant find a piggie.
          where you hunting? i might be out there.

Comment

have not made my mind up. Some where close to the primative camp. I would prefer to go directly across from the camp in the san gabriel unit but dont really want to get in a kayak in the cool morning and get wet plus stashing the kayak where i dont have to worry about it walking off. So I guess around the camp.

Comment

There will be a few of us. Some just fishing and checking juglines. And yes, food is ok to bring.

Comment

Pics.

Comment

Hey guys looks like I'm gonna head to granger this weekend from thurs to
                  Probably Sunday. Sounds like most guys do thing stalk thing but I done
                  ever have any luck doing that so thought I'd bring a bucket feeder and one of my stands. So my question is where is the best area that I could setup that's close to the primitive camp that my stuff might not walk away in 4 days lol Also is there only one primitive camping area? Thanks for any info and I'm not looking for someone's honey hole...just a general area

Comment

pecan grove is a good place to start.... but not too close to the camp... yes onlu one primiative camp ground that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by rageatvlawson View Post
                      Hey guys looks like I'm gonna head to granger this weekend from thurs to
                      Probably Sunday. Sounds like most guys do thing stalk thing but I done
                      ever have any luck doing that so thought I'd bring a bucket feeder and one of my stands. So my question is where is the best area that I could setup that's close to the primitive camp that my stuff might not walk away in 4 days lol Also is there only one primitive camping area? Thanks for any info and I'm not looking for someone's honey hole...just a general area
                      Stay away from Pecan Grove....no hogs there lol. On a serious note if ur Hog hunting the hogs are few between right now. Until the Pecans start to fall they usually stay on the private land.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                        Stay away from Pecan Grove....no hogs there lol. On a serious note if ur Hog hunting the hogs are few between right now. Until the Pecans start to fall they usually stay on the private land.
                        Agreed, the hogs are not around at all right now. Ive been out quite a bit lately and not seen one. The other problem is they only come out at night after legal hunting hours, kinda like the deer with all the pressure put on them from lots of people being out there. Lots of people try Pecan at first and then realize theres nothing inside of 2 mile walk. That means 2 miles out with a dead animal. Bring a dolly with ya.

Comment

Still hunting with a game cart is a major challenge. Just adds to the pleasure of Traditional archery.

Comment

While I did more hanging around camp than actually hunting I seen lots of hog track, sign. You just got to know where to find it. This is where the kayak came in really handy. Knowing all the ponds, and creeks are dry that leaves only one place for water. The river! Most of the river bank is very steep. But if you paddle down the river you will find where they are not only coming to drink but huge wallows to cake them with mud. If you were to kayak a feeder and stand in would not be too hard. Place the feeder a little further down the trail from the river and of course not land your boat at the watering hole. You will have a hog.

Comment

MIKE!!!! when did you score that?

Comment

This past weekend. San Gabriel unit. Pic does not do him justice. He smelt like a huge stack of maple pancakes that someone has been urinating on. So I let him lay. Over 200 up to 300lbs would be my guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X