The metric system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The metric system

My neighbor brought me back a beer and a mug from his trip to Germany. Both the beer and mug are 1 liter. Makes a 12oz look puny. This whole metric system concept is becoming more appealing the more I learn about it

Awesome.
    Now you can have a litercola anytime you want to.

Comment

The US is the only civilized nation to still use the Imperial system. The US is the only nation to put a man on the moon. Coincidence, I think not!!!!

Just open 2 12 oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        The US is the only civilized nation to still use the Imperial system. The US is the only nation to put a man on the moon. Coincidence, I think not!!!!

Just open 2 12 oz.
        Also back to back World War champs.

Comment

I still remember sitting in 3rd grade math class in 1977 and the teacher was trying to teach us the metric system and all the conversions. She said "In two years, the whole world will be using nothing but the metric system". 40+ years later we still havent changed.............

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            I still remember sitting in 3rd grade math class in 1977 and the teacher was trying to teach us the metric system and all the conversions. She said "In two years, the whole world will be using nothing but the metric system". 40+ years later we still havent changed.............
            THis...

Comment

The same teacher that said, "Learn math because you will not have a calculator in your pocket all the time."

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                The same teacher that said, "Learn math because you will not have a calculator in your pocket all the time."
                Lol yep!!!

Comment

They sell gas by the liter in most of the world. Hold on checking Canada now...

Current gas price in Canada 1.25 a liter.............

On a side note. Giving away American and metric slide rulers for Christmas. Go find one..........

Comment

Probably the same teacher who had me diagramming sentences. There's something I've never used since.

Comment

Originally posted by steve corn View Post
                      Probably the same teacher who had me diagramming sentences. There's something I've never used since.
                      Lord I hated that crap

Comment

Even American made cars are metric. In our cabinet and millwork shop a lot of mistakes come from adding subtracting and dividing 1/16th's, 32nds, 64th's, mixing paint and finish by the oz. is twice as much work. Even drug dealers use the metric system! I actually believe it's part of the reason American kids are often a little behind in math and science is they get caught up in doing things the hard way number-wise. If you're not already convinced, drive in Kilometers, you can be in triple digits and not be getting arrested. Imagine only needing one set of tools and every hardware store having the size you need.

Comment

Machine work world wide is done in thousandth of an.....................inch. Nothing in the metric system is as good for that fine of work as inches.

Comment

I remember mine saying the exact same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              Machine work world wide is done in thousandth of an.....................inch. Nothing in the metric system is as good for that fine of work as inches.
                              Exactly. Not in halves, quarters, sixteenths, thirty-seconds, sixty-fourths, one hundred twenty eighths, or two hundred fifty-sixths of an inch.

Thousandths.

Because math on a basis of 10 is much more PRECISE. There is no reason to do extra conversions for the sake of arbitrary numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X