Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
ktex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Cty, North TX
Default Ridge vent vs turbine

I'm replacing my roof and currently have turbines. Would ridge vents be more effective? I live in the dfw area if that makes a difference.
ktex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Boss Buck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephen Co.

I would do both. I had a roofer bid on our replacement roof. He recommended 10 turbines. We did not use him. The guy I did use said it was over kill. We added 2 more and have 4 total. We only had 2. I don’t know if it helped or not.
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Ridge vents can be extremely effective if the inlets are right.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

With ridge vents, you don't get the turbine sticking up all over the roof. A good roofer know you also have to have good amount of eave vents to allow the ridge vent to work. We took all the turbines off and went with ridge vents. Attic is same temp as outside environment. That is what you are aiming for.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Ridge vent with adequate ventilation holes in the eaves. Pulls outside air in through eaves and out ridge vent. If you leave turbines and add ridge vent, ventilation will be in turbines and out ridge vent.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Ridge vents. Have turbines and low profiles. Really believe the low profiles are sucking in the air so the turbines push it out. Defeats the purpose.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Ridge vents. Only drawback is hard blowing sleet/snow can get through the screening and cause water damage. Happened several times to my homes in Tulsa. Not an issue here though.
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Cawnlu
Four Point

Hunt In: Gordon, TX

I had turbines before the last hail storm. Roofer removed them and installed ridge vents and it seems to have helped A LOT. Now when I open the attic door I can actually feel the air being drawn up into the attic. I never had that before. The house also seems cooler.
Cawnlu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
Mjjust
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

Ridgevents only. Turbines will mess up how the vents work. Make sure you have as much or more square/inches of soffit vent as the ridge. Be sure to have something to keep insulation from blocking the air coming up from soffit. They sell styrofoam things that sorta look like oversized egg carton to put between insulation and roof deck just above the exterior wall. If insulation touches roof deck it blocks all the air and the ridge vents are basically worthless.
Mjjust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjust View Post
...They sell styrofoam things that sorta look like oversized egg carton to put between insulation and roof deck just above the exterior wall....
Insulation baffles.
cj7zrcool is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
Double-O-Dave
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, TX - Mills County

We had our house reroofed a few years ago, and I asked the roofer about turbines over ridge vents. He said turbines are still available, but he felt they were older technology, and that the ridge vents were a better way to go. We went with the ridge vents, but I don't go into the attic very often any more, so I can't tell you if they made a difference or not. With the turbines, in the summer it was hot in the attic all of the time, but then, it was always hot outside at the same time.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Nelson
Six Point

Solar power attic fans are the best. Auto temp helps in the winter to shut down ventilation when tempeture in the attic is below 70ish. Only issue is that most home will need four or five with a unit cost of $500. Attic breeze has a couple different models. Their so quite I would have calls all the time they were not working.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
deerplanter
Ten Point

Not sure how things are where you are but in my area of the gulf coast they stopped using ridge vents. I have had 2 houses with them and there never was enough air movement and I had continues soffit vents. On my current house we have just plain vents on top, kind of look like power vents but no fan. When it is 90 outside it's 90-95 in my attack but I also have tech shield. Look around in your area at the new homes being built and see what they are using.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

When I replaced my roof I did low profile vents. My roofer friwn from church said they were cheaper than ridge vent anf work just as good if you don't mine them being visible. Made no difference to me.
texan4ut is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
Jerry Worley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawnlu View Post
I had turbines before the last hail storm. Roofer removed them and installed ridge vents and it seems to have helped A LOT. Now when I open the attic door I can actually feel the air being drawn up into the attic. I never had that before. The house also seems cooler.
That's exactly what I noticed.
Jerry Worley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

If you do ridge vents make sure you have sufficient soffit vents. Also use baffles if you do any extra insulation.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top