Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
    Going to drive in on 27th,set up tent at Hoppers, and scout the 28th.
    We should link up at some point!

You gonna hunt the majority of that week or just the weekend

Comment

Well, just found this thread and I'm in the hunt as well.

I won't be scouting until the 28th if I make it back in time from Wyoming.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I am releasing a cabin at Hoppers tomorrow, I am taking my camper instead.

Thumper has spoken that he is willing to split the cabin (5 beds) with others. The cost is $110/night. If any of you TBH'ers are willing to split the cost with Thumper, whom will be hunting the full 9 days, then I would suggest that you contact Thumper and make arrangements. It would be very cost effective for a few guys to split that and share the cabin. I feel that as soon as I release the reservation, there may already be a someone else in line. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon (3pm) to release it. Hopefully, some fellow TBH'ers will be ready to take it over.

If anyone is interested, I'd suggest not waiting and contact Thumper immediately. Hope you're okay with me putting this out there Mr. Thumper.

Comment

Its ok, many thanks.

I'm in for one slot if anybody takes the cabin.

Comment

Am I understanding the general (rifle) hunt at Aransas NWR correctly? 300 permits with up to 4 hunters per permit on less than 20,000 acres. And it appears that each hunter has access to the entire property?
            Even with 3 separate hunt dates (100 groups per date), that is less than 50 acres per hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
              Am I understanding the general (rifle) hunt at Aransas NWR correctly? 300 permits with up to 4 hunters per permit on less than 20,000 acres. And it appears that each hunter has access to the entire property?
              Even with 3 separate hunt dates (100 groups per date), that is less than 50 acres per hunter?
              I maybe wrong but I think it's 300 permits period. If there are 4 in a group then that's 4 of the 300, not 1 split 4 ways.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                I am releasing a cabin at Hoppers tomorrow, I am taking my camper instead.

Thumper has spoken that he is willing to split the cabin (5 beds) with others. The cost is $110/night. If any of you TBH'ers are willing to split the cost with Thumper, whom will be hunting the full 9 days, then I would suggest that you contact Thumper and make arrangements. It would be very cost effective for a few guys to split that and share the cabin. I feel that as soon as I release the reservation, there may already be a someone else in line. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon (3pm) to release it. Hopefully, some fellow TBH'ers will be ready to take it over.

If anyone is interested, I'd suggest not waiting and contact Thumper immediately. Hope you're okay with me putting this out there Mr. Thumper.
                Did anybody grab the reservation? I meant to call in, but got caught up with work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                  I maybe wrong but I think it's 300 permits period. If there are 4 in a group then that's 4 of the 300, not 1 split 4 ways.

Well, that's a little better. But that still seems to be a lot of hunters in that area.
                  I have applied though.

Comment

Originally posted by ibethemarc View Post
                    Did anybody grab the reservation? I meant to call in, but got caught up with work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                    No one has grabbed it, I've also got tied up with work and have not yet released it. I will call and attempted to get that lady on the phone now.

EDIT: CABIN 4 has been released.
                    Last edited by Mr. Public; 09-04-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas on this hunt! I have been wanting to do it ever since I moved to corpus back in 2013 but never could get everything to line up. This is the 1st year that I've put in for the draw and I guess by fate I got drawn on the 2nd draw for this hunt. I had a dream the other night that I shot a 168" buck and they made a huge deal about it because it was one of the bigger ones harvested of Aransas! Hope my dream comes true! Looking forward to meeting some of y'all on this hunt. I have already met some people going on this hunt in Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                        The archery hunt is 300 permits, only 250 hunters will show up opening weekend. During the week maybe 85, last weekend of the hunt might have 150 on Fri-say. Last day of the hunt only 50. Archery area is 33k acres.

The rifle hunts have 85 permits for each hunt, 19k acres. I'm guessing only 65 will show up to hunt.

Comment

Hang ons, climbing sticks, ladder stands, tripods are all coming with me.

What do you each intend to set? I bring the arsenal for the versatility depending on what will work best.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            Hang ons, climbing sticks, ladder stands, tripods are all coming with me.

What do you each intend to set? I bring the arsenal for the versatility depending on what will work best.

I'm bringing two ameristep pop up blinds and two 8' tripods. I'm preferring the pop ups due to the fact I "think" I will be able to ditch my big suit once I'm in the blind and the thermacell has filled the pop up with whatever's chemicals it fills the air with 😂
                            However, I want to be versatile and that's why I'm bringing both.

Comment

I'll be bringing my 8' stand but it's kinda bulky, so I'll have a pop up as my back up plan if needed

Comment

I'll be saddle hunting and will have pop up as back up.

Comment

Working...
                                X