Your Range??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 at hogs. They generally stand still.

Like 12 yds and under for whitetail. They tend to move.

Comment

under normal conditions and circumstances, 20-30 yards. I hardly can't see passed that anyway here in South Texas.

Comment

Usually under 20 yds, but if everything feels right will push to 30 yards

Comment

25 yards max when hunting deer...... Can shoot well out to 40 but not comfortable over 25 when tryin to kill an animal

Comment

For me max range has to do with the size of the kill zone. Hogs and white tail would be out to 30 yards under normal conditions. When hunting elk in NM you have to be able to shoot well out to the 60 yard range but you have a larger kill zone to aid you.

Comment

Id be comfortable out to about 30

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                I go out to 30
                This.

Comment

I'm a 12 and in kind of guy and I bet there are a lot of compound replies on this post.

Comment

I prefer to stay within 20 yards but have killed a few deer 22-28 yards.

Comment

Being new to hunting with stick and string, over this year of 2014, I have shot 3 hogs. The first at about 20 yds, the second at 25 yds, and the third at 15 yds. 20 or less feels like a "gimme" for the most part.

Comment

2o yards max when hunting deer...... Elk out to 40

Comment

I use a Sarrels longbow and my absolute, perfect, calm, textbook max shot is 20 yards. I practice in the field to 80 for fun, but no way would I shoot past 20. I have trailed too many wounded deer for friends. Something in my brain would just rather let a deer walk at 25 than chance wounding it. I just know my limits...

I prefer 10-15 yards...

Comment

I prefer 13 feet but 13 yards is about my 100% confy zone.

I can shoot pretty well out to 20 or 25 as of late but but trust myself most at 13 and under.

Jon

Comment

Like the others have said, there are a lot of factors that determine if you should take a shot.

I don't think about shot distance when in a hunting situation. I just look and see if it feels right and I think it's a done deal, dead animal.

That being said, I make my set ups where I expect a shot about 12 to 15 yards. I would tell you my max is about 20, but last weekend I shot that little hurt buck, and realized afterward he was just behond the feeder at about 22 yards. He died quickly

I shot a couple of big antelopes in Africa, that don't jump the string, at right around 30. Which is the farthest I have ever shot at big game animals. I may have flung an arrow at a bird or squirrel at farther. My thinking being, little chance of wounding, it's either a kill or a miss on such a small target.

I absoultly hate to wound something, and this keeps my shots closer.

Anyone whe tells me they are good enough to take hunting shots at 40 or more (with trad hunting equipment) is welcome to bring money and bet with me. I know it can be done and don't mind paying to see that kind of good shooting, however, most that say that.....won't put their money where their mouth is.

Buff said it best on one of these type of threads.

He said something like this......How far should you shoot at live animals? Put your 3-D target againt the grill of your new pick up truck, the distance you are willing to shoot at that target is the distance you should be shooting at a live animal.

I wish I had made that up, I think that puts it perfectly.
                              Last edited by Chunky; 12-30-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                                Put your 3-D target againt the grill of your new pick up truck, the distance you are willing to shoot at that target is the distance you should be shooting at a live animal.
                                yep 13 yards ... maybe 5

Comment

Working...
                                X