Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You reckon this 40lb recurve would kill a small pig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You reckon this 40lb recurve would kill a small pig?

It looks like it will be a few months before I upgrade to a recurve or longbow with a higher draw weight. That's got me thinking I might go ahead and try to kill a pig with what I've got. It's not the fact that I'm only pulling 40lbs that has me concerned as much as it is the arrows. Thinking I would only be shooting targets with this starter recurve, I went with a really light arrow - 500's with a 125gr point - which gives me a total weight well under 400gr. (only 8.6GPP) They fly great but that does not add up to very much KE at all. How heavy a broadhead do you figure I could get away with without affecting spine too much? Or, if I just used a sharp 125gr 2-blade, would that light arrow kill anything? Small pig at 15 yards maybe?

as long as the blade is put in the right spot at a reasonable yardage. (like 25 and below)

just be very accurate and get within a good range of the pigs and dont pick out a 100+ hog out of the group... should be able to put down a 40-50 lber

Comment

Yes

Comment

sure will. Definitely stick with a smaller 2 blade.

Comment

Sounds like it will do the trick, shot placement will be key!

Comment

If I wanted to go with a heavier broadhead, how much heavier do you think I could go without messing up arrow flight?

Comment

With a bow tuned using the Bare Shaft Planing method I can add 25gr or subtract 25grs and see the effects on the bare shaft. But I didn't see much difference when I shot a broadhead that was 25grs heavier or lighter than what the bow tuned to. To be safe I just stuck with what it tune to. Get some 150gr field tips and try it out. Thats the only way to really know.

Matt

Comment

Yes

Comment

one more yes

Comment

Well, since 50# is the norm for bigger game, why not?

I have a friend who killed a 350 bull elk this last season with a 45# compound. I know, not the same thing, but just sayin'.

Comment

This may be off topic, but are you really pulling forty pounds . I pull a bow back twenty six and a half inches I do not know the math but that could be maybe six pounds lighter and bring your forty pound bow down to a thirty four pound bow which is not legal in Texas.
                      That being said, a forty pound bow shot well and arrow placed in vitals should be all you need.
                      There is some where on the net a formula about arrow KE and I do not remember but I think the magic number being around 32 for the KE. It has been years since I have look it up. I am Just getting back in the swing of things. Tommy

Comment

I look this up hope it helps
                        velocityX velocity X total arrow weight in grains divided by 450240 equals KE
                        Deer 25 to 41 KE
                        pigs and large game 42 to 65 KE

Comment

I think the great BISCH hunts with light weight bows all the time and he has killed more hoof stock than parvo

Comment

Originally posted by tommy View Post
                            This may be off topic, but are you really pulling forty pounds . I pull a bow back twenty six and a half inches I do not know the math but that could be maybe six pounds lighter and bring your forty pound bow down to a thirty four pound bow which is not legal in Texas.
                            That being said, a forty pound bow shot well and arrow placed in vitals should be all you need.
                            There is some where on the net a formula about arrow KE and I do not remember but I think the magic number being around 32 for the KE. It has been years since I have look it up. I am Just getting back in the swing of things. Tommy
                            Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Texas did away with the minimum draw weight?

Comment

I've had shoulder problems for a little over a year and have dropped way down in bow weight, last year I killed a 180#lb sow at Mesquite with a 40@28 Sage recurve, goldtip 35/55 tipped with a 160gr grizzly, got 2 holes and a dead pig at the end of a 70 yd bloodtrail. Also took out a couple of whitetail does this year with bow well below 50#.

Comment

Working...
                              X