Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper Mountain if your new to skiing

Comment

I skied all over Colorado and Utah. My first recommendation to us flatlanders is to look for a resort with the base below 8500 ft. Nothing worse than spending vacation time dealing with altitude sickness. If you don’t know what this is look it up. Can be pretty miserable. My favorite resort is Deer Valley but the prices have really gone over the top. Wife took lessons at DV and thought they were really good. Best to make reservations for lessons in advance.

Before you go spend at least three months in the gym working quads, calves and cardio. First time I went I thought I was in good shape. I was cripple the second day. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
        DO NOT BE ANY PART OF IT !!!! .
        Very true, go separate ways and meet back up day 2. It will save your relationship and trip from getting very heated.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
          I don't know anything about ski schools but Purgatory (Durango) is a great mountain as is Copper Mountain. Don't forget about Red River, New Mexico.
          I've been skiing since I was 4. Don't go to Red River. It's a huge gamble on the snow. Breckinridge is awesome and the town is great too. Once you start skiing you will find that sometimes the resort towns aren't what you wished they were. Breckinridge is one of the good ones though.

Comment

I love Breck as well. Peak 9 is great for beginners and intermediate skiing and the town is better than steamboat in my opinion. Only bad thing is it can get crwded on a holiday and the base is the highest altitude in Colorado i think.

Comment

I would recommend Copper Mtn. It’s the least expensive large resort in the area. The right side of the mountain is all beginner and intermediate terrain. We like to stay a few miles away in Frisco. We’ve been able to find good deals on condos using HomeAway and AirBnB. Frisco has a great downtown with lots of restaurant options. If you’re going with kids the Frisco snow park has some really fun tube runs. We usually take a break away from the slopes and do something else for a day like a snowmobile tour.

Also, Breckinridge is just down the road. A very nice downtown but next level pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Take lessons. We went this year and tried snowboarding. Definitely do skiing. My wife’s friend broke her wrist going down the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
                  Take lessons. We went this year and tried snowboarding. Definitely do skiing. My wife’s friend broke her wrist going down the first time.
                  Very true. Broken wrists and sore tail bones are somewhat common injuries for new snowboarders. When you only go once a year I enjoy skiing plenty so no need to try the other stuff.

Comment

Steamboat is pretty awesome, I can’t speak of there ski school but I’ve heard it’s good. Take lessons the first two days since y’all have never been. I’d recommend the rabbit ears in town for a hotel it’s nothing fancy but clean and within walking distance to all of the good bars and restaurants which means all you have to worry about is stumbling back to the hotel. Plus across the street is the hot springs which is nice after a day on the slopes.

Comment

Working...
                    X