• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
    Looks kinda like a poblano to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
    They look like green chili's to me. Some people call them Anaheims.

Thank y’all now that you said it I may have planted some poblano. I did plant some hatch chili’s? But I think they were on a different row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Garden experts... I have lots of room between my rows in my garden. I know I should till the weeds.. but.. I was wondering could I spray week killer on them and be done, rather than spend the time tilling, or will that contaminate my soil?

Comment

Hatch chili's are the same as green chili's.
        Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
        Thank y’all now that you said it I may have planted some poblano. I did plant some hatch chili’s? But I think they were on a different row.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
          Garden experts... I have lots of room between my rows in my garden. I know I should till the weeds.. but.. I was wondering could I spray week killer on them and be done, rather than spend the time tilling, or will that contaminate my soil?
          Not an expert, but I wouldnt spray. Probably ok, but thats just me. I have been using a heavy layer of hay this season and litterally have no weeds in between the rows. Only closer to the plants where the hay isnt as thick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Part Timer; 07-19-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Well, this hasn’t been good for the garden.
            I haven’t got a garden irrigation system this year, so things aren’t fairing well. There’s always next year.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
              As Part Timer stated above, you want to use a deep mulch system between your rows to keep the weeds down. Weed killer will contaminate your soil. I started using the Ruth Stout garden method, using straw that is about 4"-6" thick to begin throughout the garden. Not only does it keep the weeks down, but keeps moisture in. Even with this extreme heat, I'm only watering 2 times a week and plants are still going strong. I started a YouTube channel this year about our family Getting Outdoors and have been putting up videos about the garden. Check it out if you get the chance. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ2..._as=subscriber

Comment

Anybody use shredded paper for mulch as opposed to hay or straw? The family gives me their paper shreddings and I use it to line chicken coop boxes....but... its stacking up and Id like to use it for mulching 1st year fruit trees and grapevines. Any major drawbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Anybody use shredded paper for mulch as opposed to hay or straw? The family gives me their paper shreddings and I use it to line chicken coop boxes....but... its stacking up and Id like to use it for mulching 1st year fruit trees and grapevines. Any major drawbacks?
                  I don't see a problem with that. I've heard you should avoid colored paper, or paper that is "shiny". But if it is regular printer paper or newspaper, I'd say no worries.

Comment

No weed killer here, just mulch. Only okra, peppers, watermelon, and Juliets(tomatos) left for me at this point. Trying to keep everything from burning to a crisp! You know it's hot when okra is struggling, lol...

Comment

Well everything except my tomatillios and okra are done. Time to pull. What are yall planting right now? To early to get onions in the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                        As Part Timer stated above, you want to use a deep mulch system between your rows to keep the weeds down. Weed killer will contaminate your soil. I started using the Ruth Stout garden method, using straw that is about 4"-6" thick to begin throughout the garden. Not only does it keep the weeks down, but keeps moisture in. Even with this extreme heat, I'm only watering 2 times a week and plants are still going strong. I started a YouTube channel this year about our family Getting Outdoors and have been putting up videos about the garden. Check it out if you get the chance. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ2..._as=subscriber
                        Similar to this ...we have been putting all our grass clippings straight into the garden this year instead of the mulch bin. Best decision I have ever made for the same reasons mentioned above. We have a big front and back yard so we get a LOT of clippings every weekend.

Comment

I started some squash about a month ago. Pulled first two today. Watermelons and peppers are going nuts. Other than some lettuce and what's already planted I'm gonna let mine rest this fall. I'll plant some onions and garlic later on but not going full tilt on the fall garden this year.

Comment

What do y’all plant for fall gardens and when? I’m near the San Antonio area. We have a huge area for a garden so we can plant pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              What do y’all plant for fall gardens and when? I’m near the San Antonio area. We have a huge area for a garden so we can plant pretty much anything.
                              X2 except I'm in Houston

Comment

I started my fall garden yesterday. Too early for sure but seed is cheap. I planted squash, bush beans and kale. Later in September I'll crank it up with all the greens, lettuces, broccoli , cauliflower, chard, carrots, spinach, kohlrabi, cabbages, garlic in October, ...thats what I can think of now. I love to experiment and plant anything that might grow.

I've been amending the soil with compost and piling the hay on for the last few weeks preparing for fall planting. Rough when it's 100' but I'm ready.

Tomatoes, peppers, squash, beans, egg plant ,cucumbers, okra, all still doing really well.

Comment

Working...
                                X