Farm Trailer Tires Tax Free but I have to Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Trailer Tires Tax Free but I have to Install

I need to get 4 new trailer tires for my flatbed that has farm plate. I am off Friday and need to run into to town and will be passing Discount tire. I called and got the price but was told they will not take the wheels off the trailer unless they charge tax. The only way for me to get the tires is to remove the wheels myself, take them up there and have Discount mount the new tires on the wheels, and then I take back to my trailer and install. Discount says this is a state law. Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks,

I found out about it last week doing the same thing,told me as long as there were plates on the trailer that they would have to charge tax, even if they were farm plates

Comment

Seems it would be opposite as wheels still on the trailer gives them the ability to confirm farm tags

Comment

can't you just give them the AG tax #?

Comment

My guess is it has to do with Texas Sales Tax laws. Providing service must have tax. Buying tires only and receiving no service equals no tax. I could be very wrong because every time I talk to the State they tell me something different.

Comment

Buy them from somewhere else. Its just one of many of so called laws.

Comment

Straight from the comptrollers website.

Tires specifically designated by the manufacturer for
              farm use only are tax-exempt. Other than that tires are taxable.

TAXABLE
              These items DO NOT qualify for sales and use tax exemption for agricultural production.

•Automotive parts, such as tires, for vehicles licensed for highway use, even if the vehicle has farm plates

•Clothing, including work clothing, safety apparel and shoes

•Computers and computer software used for any purposes other than agricultural production

•Furniture, home furnishings and housewares

•Golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies and go-carts

•Guns, ammunition, traps and similar items

•Materials used to construct roads or buildings used for shelter, housing, storage or work space (examples include general storage barns, sheds or shelters)

•Motor vehicles and trailers*

•Pet food

•Taxable services such as nonresidential real property repairs or remodeling, security services and waste removal
              Last edited by Randy; 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
                I need to get 4 new trailer tires for my flatbed that has farm plate. I am off Friday and need to run into to town and will be passing Discount tire. I called and got the price but was told they will not take the wheels off the trailer unless they charge tax. The only way for me to get the tires is to remove the wheels myself, take them up there and have Discount mount the new tires on the wheels, and then I take back to my trailer and install. Discount says this is a state law. Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks,
                Yea, they told me that a couple weeks ago..........Government

Comment

Just go to a place that sells trailers and buy the tire and wheel combo. It will probably be much cheaper and you can use your tax exemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How much is the actual tax? Doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort...

Comment

Take off the license plate when you get there!

Comment

I could be wrong but I think you can only legally NOT pay tax for them if they're not used on the highway. If they'll be on the highway tax needs to be paid.

Comment

Is 8.25% of the price more then the time it will take you to take them off the trailer?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            I could be wrong but I think you can only legally NOT pay tax for them if they're not used on the highway. If they'll be on the highway tax needs to be paid.
                            this was confirmed in post #7

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              Straight from the comptrollers website.

Tires specifically designated by the manufacturer for
                              farm use only are tax-exempt. Other than that tires are taxable.

TAXABLE
                              These items DO NOT qualify for sales and use tax exemption for agricultural production.

•Automotive parts, such as tires, for vehicles licensed for highway use, even if the vehicle has farm plates

•Clothing, including work clothing, safety apparel and shoes

•Computers and computer software used for any purposes other than agricultural production

•Furniture, home furnishings and housewares

•Golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies and go-carts

•Guns, ammunition, traps and similar items

•Materials used to construct roads or buildings used for shelter, housing, storage or work space (examples include general storage barns, sheds or shelters)

•Motor vehicles and trailers*

•Pet food

•Taxable services such as nonresidential real property repairs or remodeling, security services and waste removal

bingo ! deal with daily. you have to pay tax

Comment

Working...
                              X