Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's written in you lease

Comment

I personally would want to avoid any & all bs regarding going to court & everything involved with that nonsense.

Guess my actions would depend on how well they took care of my property & how it looked and/or the needed repairs after they vacated. If they were a good tenant overall & left her close to how they moved in, combined with no problems getting a new lease?? Knowing me I would let it slide, keep the deposit & depart as friends.

It's getting that new tenant & keeping the cash flow going to keep everyone with smiles.

Comment

I'm not a landlord but have some knowledge about chapter 92 and rental agreements. If she came to you with the position you've described I'd say that's not going to go favorably for her.
        If you've had a good relationship with her and she's been a good tenant, paid rent on time, takes care of property etc I'd negotiate with her. The rental market seems pretty good right now maybe you could get another tenant fast enough to cover any loss you may have incurred.
        I got out of a two yr contract newly signed lease, just circumstances beyond control took place. Thankfully we had a good relationship and I kept my end of the agreement until he leased it. Took less than 2 weeks to find another good tenant. Hope it works out for you without too much cost or headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          I personally would want to avoid any & all bs regarding going to court & everything involved with that nonsense.

Guess my actions would depend on how well they took care of my property & how it looked and/or the needed repairs after they vacated. If they were a good tenant overall & left her close to how they moved in, combined with no problems getting a new lease?? Knowing me I would let it slide, keep the deposit & depart as friends.

It's getting that new tenant & keeping the cash flow going to keep everyone with smiles.
          agreed... attitude says alot. Sounds like she may have been given bad advice as far as breaking a lease. I would like to think that... if you had a discussion with her about the legality and is she can help find a tenant to finish her lease, depart civilly. that is...if she was a good tenant. if she trashed it... all bets are off.

Comment

It sucks, but I wouldn’t want someone who is ****** off at me living in a house I own!

Comment

Call Brian. it is his specialty

Comment

When the couple told me they had bought a house and was moving out with 9 months to go on lease I just rented the house again. No big deal to me. If they don’t owe you anything and leave the house clean and little damage why bother with all the court hassle?

Save that for the bad tenets.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                  It sucks, but I wouldn’t want someone who is ****** off at me living in a house I own!
                  Your not married.

Comment

You guys that are saying to just let it slide are out of your mind. Do you know how much it costs to turn a house for a new renter? Its a lot of time and money. And if she tries the typical BS of applying the security deposit to the last month's rent then the OP is out even more money.

You have a lease, enforce it. If she is in fact not paying for August then take the steps you need to take to change the locks and tell her you can get the new keys at your attorney's office. When she sets a time to pick them up be there with your attorney and you'll probably change her tune quickly.

I had a tenant vacate on me before the end of her lease. Before we were done she had written me a check for $18,000.

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
                      I’m the landlord and my tenant has notified me that she bought a house and will be out at the end of August. Also states she has paid the last months rent so August is taken care of. Then says she looked into it and if she is buying a house she is antomactily out of her lease. Well she has 6 months to go on her lease and has paid a deposit witch is the same as the monthly rent. I have a meeting with my lawyer Thursday to discuss the matter. I was wondering if any of the other landlords on here had ever come across this craziness? Thanks
                      Lol is this for real? She thinks she's automatically (I assume that's what you meant to type) out of hear lease because she bought her special snowflake self a house?

What a dingbat. People will believe ANYTHING these days.

Comment

I’m the landlord and my tenant has notified me that she bought a house and will be out at the end of August. Also states she has paid the last months rent so August is taken care of. Then says she looked into it and if she is buying a house she is antomactily out of her lease. Well she has 6 months to go on her lease and has paid a deposit witch is the same as the monthly rent. I have a meeting with my lawyer Thursday to discuss the matter. I was wondering if any of the other landlords on here had ever come across this craziness? Thanks
                        Sounds like a college age kid who thinks she knows more than she does. Lol good luck, sounds like you are already taking the correct steps. Your attorney will get it set straight.

Side note, in college, we had friends that tried this. They learned really fast it doesn't work that way. I suspect this person will as well.

Especially if she needs credit to buy the house.
                        Last edited by WItoTX; 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Yeppers, what's in your lease agreement?
                          Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                          Will all come down to contract states.
                          Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          I would have to see your lease agreement but IF it's a legal binding lease agreement then she is bound/obligated to it unless you release her from the lease..
                          Cut and dried.

Comment

Yes, and I let them go. Meeting with your lawyer is gonna cost you more than you would get out of them anyway. I would keep the deposit to account for probably lost September rent.

Read the lease yourself. Lots of leases DO have provisions for folks buying houses.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                              When the couple told me they had bought a house and was moving out with 9 months to go on lease I just rented the house again. No big deal to me. If they don’t owe you anything and leave the house clean and little damage why bother with all the court hassle?

Save that for the bad tenets.
                              +1 I've done the exact same thing twice.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                                Keep her deposit and find a a new tenant ASAP.

This^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X