Hat brim as reference point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hat brim as reference point?

Byron Ferguson just touches his hat brim at full draw and I seem to remember Fred Bear doing the same thing.
    I recently got a straw fedora type, and it keeps me from tilting my head forward. I need all the help I can get to help with form, and touching the brim sure can't be ignored.
    Anyone do anything like this? The other thread about caps got me to thinking (a dangerous endeavor).
    I've also worn a newsboy cap.

I can't shoot with a hat on. If I do it's a ball cap and it's turned backwards.

Comment

One issue that can arise is that should you ever be in a position to not wear that exact hat you could have issues. Anchor points should be static

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep your anchor point is very important, what ever you pick, you always have to shoot the same.

Comment

A couple things to consider (things I considered and why I don't use a hat as reference):

You would have to wear the same hat. And you'd want to wear the hat all the time. Not big of a deal for some, but sometimes I don't want to wear a hat.

You would have to wear the hat in the same spot on your head every time. Not a big of a deal for some, but I notice my hats tend to ride a little different depending on whether I've had a hair cut or not.

String angle is a factor... how much, I don't know. But if you shoot different bows with different string lengths, then the angle of the string at anchor is going to be subtly different and you may try and tilt your head differently so the string touches... again, don't know by how much.

For the hats I like and the way I wear them, I can't hit anchor with the brim in the way. Was fine with a compound bow (so be wary of those responses that sneak in here) because the axle to axle length is smaller and the string angle is way different... but with any stickbow, the string hits my brim before I reach anchor.

If I wear a hat, I wear that flex hat because I can get the brim out of the way on the side where the string comes in. The brim on the other side, blocks the sun. The only annoying this is, if I forget to flip up the brim... and the string hits on draw, it is distracting as all hell. thankfully I have caught that everytime I have forgotten because I tend to do a draw in the stand before settling in as a check for angles, etc... and yes, I have hit the brim...

Comment

Makes sense about reference point and hat being in different position. It does keep me from craning my neck forward, so it's helpfull in that one aspect. I had considered trying to use a brim as reference point but will skip that.

Comment

Working...
            X