ATV Seed Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV Seed Drill

Was doing some research on and was wondering if anyone has used an ATV seed drill for food plots?

The Dew Drop Drill is a small scale seed drill/planter, designed to be pulled by an ATV. Designed to have a wide stance, a low center of gravity, and large aggressive tires; the Dew Drop Drill lets you put seed where you want it, even in rough terrain. Capable of planting from no till to light inter-seeding, it will get the job done for you!

I have a Ranger 500, Trail Mower, Sprayer and disk. Last year I used this to plant several small food plots and it worked out fine. However, I was thinking with this I could save a lot of time. I was thinking I could mow, spray, clear debris, fertilize and plant....skip disking up the ground. This would be for my property in Wisconsin, but seems like this would in Texas too. I emailed the company to find out about pricing and get their feedback on what I plan to do with it.

Interesting machine. Looks well built. How much?

Comment

I am waiting to hear back from the company, will post up what I find out.

Comment

Looks interesting. A couple of random thoughts.

I can't see how big the coulters are and what kind they are....single or double disc.

Wonder how heavy it is....need weight for no-tilling the seed to the proper depth.

If it has a single disc coulter and is heavy enough it would certainly work for no-till drilling.

Comment

I found out the price, not cheap it is 7k. The guy from the company said it would definitely do what I want though.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Looks interesting. A couple of random thoughts.

I can't see how big the coulters are and what kind they are....single or double disc.

Wonder how heavy it is....need weight for no-tilling the seed to the proper depth.

If it has a single disc coulter and is heavy enough it would certainly work for no-till drilling.
            From the info they sent me. "There are 2 rows (front and rear) of 6 coulters, 3 right and 3 left per row for a total of 12 disk blades" The weight of the unit is 600lbs.

Comment

Wow that is pricey.

For about 1/4th that price you could get a 2 row planter (Model 71 type) that will do a good job at no-till with a big single disc coulter. You just need a 3pt hitch attachment for your ATV.

Comment

Hell, for even less than the Ebay link Unclefish posted, you could buy a small, older used pull type drill that would weigh enough to no till into almost anything. I found mine in an overgrown field and the farmer told me to simply take it. Took some time to repair and replace old hoses, etc, but it works like a champ now. If your UTV is strong enough to pull a small disk, you could pull a small drill too.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys. Unclefish, what do you plant with that two row planter?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                    Thanks for the pointers guys. Unclefish, what do you plant with that two row planter?
                    From my experience, you can plant almost any of the larger size seeds such as oats, peas and beans. It would be difficult to plant clovers and the smaller seeds with those.

Comment

The one in the pic is not mine. You can get different seed plates for them....corn/beans/Cereal grains can be planted with it no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                        From my experience, you can plant almost any of the larger size seeds such as oats, peas and beans. It would be difficult to plant clovers and the smaller seeds with those.
                        Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        The one in the pic is not mine. You can get different seed plates for them....corn/beans/Cereal grains can be planted with it no problem.
                        Thanks. A lot of what I would be planting is clover. I am guessing any seed drill is not ideal for clover? (seed is too small). I may just come up with a better way to weigh my disk down, get a landscape rake and cultipacker for my Ranger. That would probably help me out as much as anything.

Comment

This for planting in Texas or on your Wisconsin property?

Comment

ATV Seed Drill

Scott - Was thinking of this for my place in Wisconsin. I ended up buying a tiller attachment for a skid loader/bobcat. My friend who takes care of my property already had the bobcat. So it was expensive, but cheaper than the seed drill and much cheaper than a tractor and implements. My plots are fairly small so I don't think a tractor would be best even if I wanted to spend the money to buy one. Anyway I think what we got will make the plots easier, which was my goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                              Scott - Was thinking of this for my place in Wisconsin. I ended up buying a tiller attachment for a skid loader/bobcat. My friend who takes care of my property already had the bobcat. So it was expensive, but cheaper than the seed drill and much cheaper than a tractor and implements. My plots are fairly small so I don't think a tractor would be best even if I wanted to spend the money to buy one. Anyway I think what we got will make the plots easier, which was my goal.
                              Sounds good!

Generally not a big concern about losing the moisture by opening up the ground up North. As long as your plots are on top or bottom, erosion will be no major problem for you either.

Had a friend roll a tractor trying to work/open a food plot on CRP ground in Buffalo County...
                              Ground the local farmers quit working due to treacherous side-hill terrain.

Tiller seems like a great option for you.
                              So much for me hoping to borrow it down here...

Comment

Working...
                              X