X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy/GM Transmission Help & Opinions

Details:
    2012 Silverado 1500 (6.2L) with ~169,000 miles
    I took it in to my local shop today to have the throttle body looked at knowing it would likely need to be replaced. I got the call that it needed the replacement and an air filter cleaning. Cost was $860 for throttle body. They then called me back and said when they were doing final testing and they had pressure buildup when accelerating before it kicked into gear. I have actually had it do that a few times to me where it revs up and then catches and snaps my neck back. They said it's possibly the transmission.

Long story short, they said after further diagnosis I'm going to need a new Transmission and that mine was available nearby and would be $6700 to install on top of the $860 I owe already for the TB replacement. (8hrs labor). Also wanted to fix rear seal while in there which I'm not sure they quoted.

That seems crazy high to me for a transmission. Research I've done looks like anywhere from $1200-2500 for Trans itself and then labor.

Questions:
    1. The obvious, I need another opinion from a GM dealer correct?
    2. Is it safe to drive to another Dealer/Service location?
    3. Is that price accurate for a transmission with labor?
    4. Is it time to cut my losses and get a new truck if cost is going to be that much?
    I didn't have a note on it and was planning on driving this one till the wheels fell off...and now this!

May just need to get a new truck which I should be happier about but I had plans for some other things and not another car note.

Thanks for help and opinions guys...ugh

That does seem high for a transmission.
    If I were you, I would get a quote from a transmission shop. Unless you just want it done by the dealer. I probably wouldn't drive it to another dealer. If you have another vehicle you can tow with, rent a tow dolly and tow it to the other place.

Comment

I was in the same boat in 2014. I cut my losses and got a new truck.

At the time, the dealer said I needed a new transfer case and both ball joints were bad, it was going to be around $5,000 to fix everything. The truck was a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD with 220,000 miles on it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump

Comment

Yea that's crazy high, drive it or get it towed to a different shop. Here's the deal. A shop gets your truck in and they drop the pan and do some other stuff to it and now your looking at $500 and they didn't even do anything yet. Most of the time the owner say's fix it and then they got you. I just had my diesel tranny done and it was $3300 and I thought that was high. Got it done at Discount Transmission in Lewisville off 35W. I think their fair but I don't trust any shop. My trucks been running great since. If you take it a dealer service center you are going to pay big time. Take it to another mom and pop shop and see what they say.
          Last edited by Bassdeer; 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

with a story like that, it sounds dubious to me since you didn't mention you were having tranny problems when you took it in there.
            why not put it back together and drive it?

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
              with a story like that, it sounds dubious to me since you didn't mention you were having tranny problems when you took it in there.
              why not put it back together and drive it?
              Yeh true but I wouldn't have known either way. I knew I had an issue with idle, throttle, etc.. which I thought they fixed and I think they thought that too. Sounds like once that was all said and done the last check still showed the rev up of RPMs before kicking into gear. And I have experienced that a few times so I cannot disagree with them that has happened. I just didn't know that is caused by the transmission. Either way, I'm looking for another shop nearby or transmission specific shop.

Some say Tranny Repair and some show Refurbed Tranny's. Are they able to "repair" stuff within it and get it running fine or does it usually call for complete replacement?

Comment

#1 You need to find a different mechanic.
                #2 Had my transmission completely rebuilt and installed in my Silverado with
                204,000 here in Paris (Pat Bright Transmission) for $1500 cash money last
                Feb.
                #3 Had throttle body replaced in mine last month here, $430
                #4 You need to find a different mechanic

Comment

How many gears are in your transmission?

I had a 2009 Chevy Traverse that I had to put a new one in at 156,000 miles. The Traverse is 6 gears and I want to say my bill was $5800.00 And believe it or not that price was the dealer who was cheaper than Eagle Transmissions. Also, it came with a 36,000 mile warranty and 3 years.

My Dad had to replace his on his 2007 Chevy and it was around $2500, but his transmission only had 5 gears.

I drove the Traverse for another 210K and traded it in. And my Dad still has his truck.

Comment

And you may not need a complete transmission rebuild anyway. Get a second opinion and from a privately owned, small mom and pop mechanic as Bassdeer stated.

Comment

Uh no. Start over and move the vehicle..................

Comment

The throttle body you got costs 145 dollars for the parts. How did they charge you 860 for a 145 dollar throttle body plus installation??

That's exactly why I repair my own.

Get your truck out of that shop immediately.

The one on the bottom is the ac delco original part.
                        RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Comment

Could it possibly something as simple as a shift solenoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                            The throttle body you got costs 145 dollars for the parts. How did they charge you 860 for a 145 dollar throttle body plus installation??

That's exactly why I repair my own.

Get your truck out of that shop immediately.

The one on the bottom is the ac delco original part.
                            https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ttle+body,6472
                            Because it is the dealership

Comment

is the engine rpm climbing before the transmission engages and if so at what rpm does it happen, OR do you give it gas and then the engine catches and accelerates.

Comment

Working...
                              X