A first time Elk Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A first time Elk Hunter

Michael and I did a quick podcast last night before he headed into the mountains for his elk hunt today. I apologize in advance for some of the audio. My Mic wasn’t working great. Hopefully you Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my first elk hunt now. Been brutal where I’m at. Packed in 3 miles and hunted 4 canyons all week logging 25-30 miles on foot. Found plenty of sign but can’t find an elk to save my life. I’m thinking they just aren’t there Bc it’s dry. Found 6 wallows dried up and on that had water and was clear and no tracks around it. Seems like they moved on about two weeks ago based on no fresh sign.

Comment

downloaded to listen later

Comment

Pack out and move!!! If you are not on elk or smoking hot sign you need to move out. Plan B, C, D or Z.

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        On my first elk hunt now. Been brutal where I’m at. Packed in 3 miles and hunted 4 canyons all week logging 25-30 miles on foot. Found plenty of sign but can’t find an elk to save my life. I’m thinking they just aren’t there Bc it’s dry. Found 6 wallows dried up and on that had water and was clear and no tracks around it. Seems like they moved on about two weeks ago based on no fresh sign.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          Pack out and move!!! If you are not on elk or smoking hot sign you need to move out. Plan B, C, D or Z.
          x100 you cant hunt and kill what's not there

Comment

One day I'll bring my bow for Elk. Until then I'm a CO second rifle kind of guy. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

Not sure how high you are hunting, but a lot of hunters make the mistake of going too high and drive right past where the elk are at. Check lower elevations, Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by pchrisla View Post
                One day I'll bring my bow for Elk. Until then I'm a CO second rifle kind of guy. Good luck!

How is that hunt? Would love to get a couple newbies out on a rifle hunt, but not sure on the quality of the experience. May have to get them to draw a couple tags first.

Comment

Lot of great info in that podcast. I like the way Michael has tried out various tactics and equipment on short truck campouts in Colorado over the past few months to see what works in the field.

I only recently even began considering such a hunt. In doing a fair amount of research I can see that Michael and JT's conclusion about the most important gear being pack and boots makes sense. To split the cost up somewhat, I just ordered the Kifaru Tactical Duplex frame alone, but with a cargo net, so I can strap on sand bags or whatever to train (safely without injury) with and also attach an existing day-pack for local public land hunting this year. Figure down the line, I can get something like a Reckoning (pack) to put on there for the actual elk hunt -- hopefully in a couple of years.

JT: could you put a link up with the write-up of your elk hunt, please? How in the world did you carry out three 160-lb loads 4.5 miles? How big a boy are you?

Also, you said you hung the boned-out bags of meat in a tree in the shade to cool while you were making multiple pack-outs. How high up (in the tree)? Are bears a problem on meat left behind during go-rounds of the pack-out?
                  Last edited by tradtiger; 08-31-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    Lot of great info in that podcast. I like the way Michael has tried out various tactics and equipment on short truck campouts in Colorado over the past few months to see what works in the field.

I only recently even began considering such a hunt. In doing a fair amount of research I can see that Michael and JT's conclusion about the most important gear being pack and boots makes sense. To split the cost up somewhat, I just ordered the Kifaru Tactical Duplex frame alone, but with a cargo net, so I can strap on sand bags or whatever to train (safely without injury) with and also attach an existing day-pack for local public land hunting this year. Figure down the line, I can get something like a Reckoning (pack) to put on there for the actual elk hunt -- hopefully in a couple of years.

JT: could you put a link up with the write-up of your elk hunt, please? How in the world did you carry out three 160-lb loads 4.5 miles? How big a boy are you?

Also, you said you hung the boned-out bags of meat in a tree in the shade to cool while you were making multiple pack-outs. How high up (in the tree)? Are bears a problem on meat left behind during go-rounds of the pack-out?
                    He ain't that big, but he is relentless.

Comment

A first time Elk Hunter

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post

JT: could you put a link up with the write-up of your elk hunt, please? How in the world did you carry out three 160-lb loads 4.5 miles? How big a boy are you? [emoji4]

This was my meat tree. I actually used the limbs to lay the meat out to get it as flat as possible to get all the meat cool without having any hot spots where it was balled up. I don’t worry about black bears. Most people who live around them don’t worry about them much from what I’ve noticed.

Here is a link to my hunt story

DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Last edited by JTeLarkin08; 08-31-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          How is that hunt? Would love to get a couple newbies out on a rifle hunt, but not sure on the quality of the experience. May have to get them to draw a couple tags first.

Can be crowded, but if you put in effort there are a ton of elk in OTC units. I have some backcountry coordinates in a very popular unit that will hold elk during 2nd season 5 out of 7 days just about. No giants, but raghorn bulls are there.

Comment

You should be able to hire some horses to haul the meat out.

Comment

Thanks for posting that link to your hunt thread, JT; I had somehow missed it before. Truly an epic adventure there, with a tremendous payoff for all of your preparation, training and strategic sensibility. Downright inspirational!

Comment

Working...
                              X