2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    I agree. Monday morning should be good for sitting active scrapes. Wish I could make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know and I have to get up and drive to Odessa at 330 Monday morning. Gotta be their by 8AM. I will not be back out till probably Tues.

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
      Headed out there next weekend for a 3 day hunt hoping to see some rut activity saw fresh scrapes and rubs opening weekend already what do y’all think early rut this year ?

I'm thinking early rut. Saw a lot of scrape and rubs within the first 2 weeks of season. Lot of bucks hitting scrapes on camera, close to daylight. It should be fun soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Deer gotta eat and move in this rain too. Shot my biggest to date between small thunderstorms/showers one morning.

Razorback, any luck this morning?
        No Sir, didn't even go out this morning. Wasn't going to sit in the rain, worse trying to trail one. Stayed at camp, and decided to pack in in late morning.

Comment

What are the rules on trimming branches on LBJ? Unless I am on a creek bottom most of the trees are limb city. I either missed them in the orders or there aren't any written rules.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            What are the rules on trimming branches on LBJ? Unless I am on a creek bottom most of the trees are limb city. I either missed them in the orders or there aren't any written rules.

From the USFS website.
            “Cutting standing trees or pruning limbs from them is prohibited.”

Comment

I'm envious, perfect weather this morning.

Comment

From the USFS website.
                It doesn't say you can't trim branches. My advice is don't ask and don't tell.

Seriously, I don't think the FS LEO would give anyone a hard time over a few small branches and leaves being trimmed. Just don't go overboard and start cutting big limbs or clearing firing lanes.

Comment

That's kind of what I thought. Big limbs no, small branches probably. I'll have to re-read the hunting guidelines. After reading the COE, NWR and USFS they all run together. If your hunting edge cover, it's hard to find trees with shooting lanes/openings in them.

Comment

From the USFS website.

Do you find your tree options are better with a saddle?

Comment

Do you find your tree options are better with a saddle?

Tree options are much better. I can run much smaller trees, and I can handle more dramatic leans. But the limbs will always be a problem regardless of stand method.

Instead of hunting field edges, I will typically sit further back in the cover where the limbs start to clear. Also, sometimes I get to a tree and it was magically prepped a year or two prior....

Comment

Thinking about stopping by San Angelo SP or Twin Buttes for an afternooner on the way back from Odessa Tom. Should only be about 1.5 hours detour. Anybody else hunted there before?

Comment

Hello, My name is Terran. I just joined. I live in FTW and it looks like this is the closest place for me to go hunting is (can't afford a lease). I am mainly interested in hogs at the moment, as I do not have the time to scout for deer or have cameras or anything. I am looking for hints of where to find the hogs out on LBJ. I'm not looking to take anyone's spots, just curious what sections they are usually on. I am 40 and have had my 2014 PSE Vison for 4 years now. I am just now getting back into it and need to dial it in. I also have a 17 year old daughter (turning 18 in Nov) that needs to do her course for Hunters Safety. I would love to take her out with me. Just throwing my greeting out there and see if anyone could give me some suggestions of where to look. As I said, I'm not trying to snipe anyone's spots...

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                            Hello, My name is Terran. I just joined. I live in FTW and it looks like this is the closest place for me to go hunting is (can't afford a lease). I am mainly interested in hogs at the moment, as I do not have the time to scout for deer or have cameras or anything. I am looking for hints of where to find the hogs out on LBJ. I'm not looking to take anyone's spots, just curious what sections they are usually on. I am 40 and have had my 2014 PSE Vison for 4 years now. I am just now getting back into it and need to dial it in. I also have a 17 year old daughter (turning 18 in Nov) that needs to do her course for Hunters Safety. I would love to take her out with me. Just throwing my greeting out there and see if anyone could give me some suggestions of where to look. As I said, I'm not trying to snipe anyone's spots...

Go to the water and work yourself around it. They are there. Check the thick brush and ravens. Plenty of hogs. Seems like more this year than last year and I found 30 last season

Comment

Headed out in the AM for 3 days that will probably be my last LBJ hunts of the year. As soon as gun season hits, I high tail it to Oklahoma for lower pressure public land bucks.

Looks like the only rain in the forecast is Wednesday afternoon. The winds are really odd for Tuesday and Wednesday (out of the east) but I think I can make something work.

Good luck to anyone else headed that way.

Comment

Good luck to ya Ike. May your arrow fly true.

Comment

Working...
                                X