Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya happened to the wife's Yukon last year

Comment

I run a service dept and this has been without a doubt the worst year I have ever seen for rodent damaged wiring. The insurance adjusters all have told me the same thing, I hate it for you on a brand new car. Your insurance will cover it if it runs into a lot of money and is more than your deductible. I think they like the warmth of the engine bay. I read a story about some tape that Honda is making now to help avoid repeat repairs. It contains some type of pepper I Believe and is supposed to work really well. You might get some and wrap some of the wiring in your engine compartment. They have it on Amazon for about $22 a roll

Comment

Happened to my Tacoma to the tune of $1200...twice! Electrical harness and coolant hose. Never had an issue with any other vehicle including the wife’s car parked next to mine! Apparently is the soy used in wiring covers and piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
          Nobody mentioned anything about this in '08 when we bought our Z28.
          Nobody predicted the flooding of 2015 in our area.
          Nobody predicted that rodents would seek higher ground due to the flooding.
          Nobody predicted that rodents would have a banner year and take over our shop and barn.
          My wife's truck's wiring was destroyed overnight.
          Nobody predicted that.
          #$%& happens!
          It's not always someone else's fault.
          It sure is IF they make someone out of a food product that critters are attracted to so they can eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
            As if the new car buying experience isn’t enough, now this????

With my older kids driving now, my wife decides she wants a smaller SUV then the suburbans she has driven over the past 10 years. We’ve been GM owners for years with all of our vehicles, but my wife liked the new Ford Explorer more than the comparable GM SUV so there you have it - Ford Explorer it is.

This past Sunday driving home from church the check engine light comes on and the vehicle starts sputtering, RPM’s are real low at idle and eventually dies. Vehicle has roughly 5k miles. We have it towed to dealership and come to find out a mouse had chewed on some wires under the hood to the tune of $500 in repairs. Seems the wire coating is soy based and attracts rodents. We’ve lived in the same place for 7 years and never had this problem with any of our vehicles, and now I have to keep rodents off the flavor filled wires that Ford used in their new vehicles?

Anybody else experience this on newer vehicles?
            I don’t think it’s just gonna be a ford problem there bud. I live out in the country and rats have chewed through wiring on let’s see, my wife’s Toyota sequoia 5 Times, my tundra 3-4 times, Ford 350, and our Freightliner fl60.

Comment

Happened on my 1999 Nissan Frontier.

Comment

Extermination problem, not a manufacturer's problem.

If the vehicles aren't there, the mice and rats are chewing on something else you own.

Comment

I read bleach/ammonia/lemon juice sprayed on wires to deter...May fix rodent problem but create a new one Corrosion

Comment

Buy a cat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I find it good to know if new trucks have wires that attract rodents more than in the past. Good to know for when I get a new truck and what I might need to do to prevent the same.

This last year I had my truck sitting at the lease for 2 days. Mouse built a nest inside the a/c somehow. Came in contact with the fan. No a/c on drive home. Now that is on an older truck so no blame on attractants. Critters are always going to like trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Easy solution......

In my experience the cat doesn't live through the first time you start the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingjunkie View Post
                          As if the new car buying experience isn’t enough, now this????

With my older kids driving now, my wife decides she wants a smaller SUV then the suburbans she has driven over the past 10 years. We’ve been GM owners for years with all of our vehicles, but my wife liked the new Ford Explorer more than the comparable GM SUV so there you have it - Ford Explorer it is.

This past Sunday driving home from church the check engine light comes on and the vehicle starts sputtering, RPM’s are real low at idle and eventually dies. Vehicle has roughly 5k miles. We have it towed to dealership and come to find out a mouse had chewed on some wires under the hood to the tune of $500 in repairs. Seems the wire coating is soy based and attracts rodents. We’ve lived in the same place for 7 years and never had this problem with any of our vehicles, and now I have to keep rodents off the flavor filled wires that Ford used in their new vehicles?

Anybody else experience this on newer vehicles?
                          We drive Toyota 4×4's and they have the same issue. The "TPS" light came on my wife's Tacoma TRD so she took it to the dealer. Same thing, rats or mice had chewed the wiring harness for the tire pressure monitoring system. I was told the same thing about the wiring harness. We live in the country and Eddie, our Service Consultant, told me to grate up a bar of Irish Spring soap and put it into a quart size ziplock bag and place it under the trucks engine compartment. That was 6 months ago and it works. No more rats or mice chewing wires. I actually grated up 2 more bags yesterday because it's supposed to be into the teens tonight.
                          The same thing happened to my Kubota RTV I left at my Uncle's ranch in South Texas. It was there for about 6 months and wouldn't crank. Raised the bed and found a huge rat's nest. Cost me $1500 for Zimmer Kubota to replace the wiring harness. I saw it and they had chewed through every wire in the harness. Ditto the bags of Irish Spring-no more problems.
                          Hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you punch holes in the ziplock bags once you fill with Irish Spring so they can snell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

'98 Waverunner chewed the spark plug wire - which is a one piece unit with the coil wires $400. The shop told me they see this often. Had my sat. internet coax chewed too just recently - The Dirty Rats!!!

Comment

Check out my thread from September. Finally caught the little rat bastage. He was thriving on the rat poison blocks and stashing them in the air filter box.

Comment

Working...
                                X