Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
    Get in the brush with them! First time i hunted there i also had a similiar setup. For the most part they wont travel in the open. Once i got in the thick stuff with them, i saw more and got more shot opportunities. Find trails in the thick areas and sit just off those trails. We never saw any animals on the road and weve hunted there 4 times now. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

This was my first year to hunt here, I mainly hunted off the roads. Saw lots of animals but they all cross so quickly, not like a sendero where there’s corn to stop them. If I get drawnnext year I will definitely be gettin in the brush with them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      This was my first year to hunt here, I mainly hunted off the roads. Saw lots of animals but they all cross so quickly, not like a sendero where there’s corn to stop them. If I get drawnnext year I will definitely be gettin in the brush with them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Those public land animals are crazy smart. Its hard to explain until youve been in there and been busted by them multple times! It changes your whole game plan!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gearing up for the exotic rifle hunt in Feb. Thinking now with the recent posts it will be a close shot.

Comment

Teniente Jan 11-14

Much thanks for all the info you guys are posting! I was drawn for the hunt this weekend (Jan 11-14) I went out this morning to scout a little and saw a flock of Jakes as I drove up the North end of CR10. When I got in the brush, I didn't see any animals but there was tons of trails and scat. I think I found a pretty good spot to set up but it's well off of the roads and I hope I can handle dragging a tri-pod in that far. I checked the weather for Thur-Sun and it looks like the wind will be switching pretty drastically halfway through. That should be fun!, lol. Well, congrats to all of you that scored, better luck next time to those who didn't and best of luck to you all going this week!

Comment

Originally posted by TXGorillaHNTR View Post
            Much thanks for all the info you guys are posting! I was drawn for the hunt this weekend (Jan 11-14) I went out this morning to scout a little and saw a flock of Jakes as I drove up the North end of CR10. When I got in the brush, I didn't see any animals but there was tons of trails and scat. I think I found a pretty good spot to set up but it's well off of the roads and I hope I can handle dragging a tri-pod in that far. I checked the weather for Thur-Sun and it looks like the wind will be switching pretty drastically halfway through. That should be fun!, lol. Well, congrats to all of you that scored, better luck next time to those who didn't and best of luck to you all going this week!
            How did it go?

Comment

Anyone going on the hunts over the next couple weekends?

Comment

Not to El Teniente but I am going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Did they decide to have some additional hunts or are these the original scheduled late exotic hunts y'all speak of?

Comment

Just got off the phone with them. There are some hunts in the works but the logistics and scheduling has not been finalized. They will announce it once they have a final schedule. We shall see lets hope it gets done.

Comment

Me and a couple other tbh’ers drew for the last hunt in February

Comment

I'm hunting the East Lake Unit this weekend feb. 9th-11th. Anyone else down here hunting this weekend? I know there are supposed to be 10 total hunters in the east lake unit and something like 15 I believe in the teniente unit. Talked to the park ranger about using my bow down here as well and they don't see any issue with it. Plan....if successful with rifle...switch to stick missiles!

Comment

I have second weekend of Teniente.

Comment

Small report for you.

We just got back from 3 days doing the Nilgai only rifle hunt on Teniente (Feb 9th-11th). Sorry if I'm not supposed to post rifle reports here. That piece of land is a TOUGH hunt. Lots of Nilgai sign in the really thick brush, but the thickest brush is obviously the toughest to navigate.

Was able to finally stalk up on two cows the morning of third day, but they busted me at 200 yards when I was setting up my shooting sticks. Plus the evening of the third day and the evening of the first day kind of got rain/wind cancelled (Nilgai hate the cold and just go hide in the deep brush when it gets cold or windy or rainy). Saw plenty of hogs and whitetail though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan-in-SA1 View Post
                              Small report for you.

We just got back from 3 days doing the Nilgai only rifle hunt on Teniente (Feb 9th-11th). Sorry if I'm not supposed to post rifle reports here. That piece of land is a TOUGH hunt. Lots of Nilgai sign in the really thick brush, but the thickest brush is obviously the toughest to navigate.

Was able to finally stalk up on two cows the morning of third day, but they busted me at 200 yards when I was setting up my shooting sticks. Plus the evening of the third day and the evening of the first day kind of got rain/wind cancelled (Nilgai hate the cold and just go hide in the deep brush when it gets cold or windy or rainy). Saw plenty of hogs and whitetail though.
                              Thx for the report. How did the rest of the hunters fare? Did all the drawn hunters show up?

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                                Thx for the report. How did the rest of the hunters fare? Did all the drawn hunters show up?
                                Well, unlike with some other public hunts, there's no central check station or "leaderboard" so I don't really know for certain. We talked to 3 or so other hunters who had seen some Nilgai from afar but not able to harvest any.

Likewise, we kind of stayed in the general area we had scouted out (probably a mistake in retrospect), so can't really say for certain whether all the other hunters showed up. But, on "our" corner of the refuge, only saw 2 other hunters (one other we saw at the hotel). So I kind of doubt that everyone showed (but, can't really really say for certain)

Comment

Working...
                                X