2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonehead1283 View Post
    Best Caliber Recommendations capable of: Taking down the occasional Whitetail when I don't have the stick and string; reaching out and touching Nilgai, Elk, etc; and readily capable of hitting steel at 1,000.

What ya got???
    A 7RM pushing a 160 grain bullet at a minimum. Many will say anything under the sun including the 65CM but you need more pop if the bigger class animals are your intended target.

I'd actually consider a bigger 7 such as the 28 NOS or 7 APR or a fast 30 starting at the 300WM.

Do you hand load? If not that would really narrow it down and imo the best choice would be the 300WM for punch and ammo choice / availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      A 7RM pushing a 160 grain bullet at a minimum. Many will say anything under the sun including the 65CM but you need more pop if the bigger class animals are your intended target.

I'd actually consider a bigger 7 such as the 28 NOS or 7 APR or a fast 30 starting at the 300WM.

Do you hand load? If not that would really narrow it down and imo the best choice would be the 300WM for punch and ammo choice / availability.
      Spot on!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
        Robert do you have a reamer for 284 Shehane
        I do not. We almost ordered one back in the summer to do some personal rigs, but in the end didn't see enough advantage over the straight 284 to justify the extra costs and effort for what we were trying to do with it. We can certainly get one if you want to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Thanks Slick... I was leaning towards the 300WM also simply because I do not hand load...yet, and there are tons of options out there for ammo.

Comment

6.5-284 vs 28 Nosler?

If I could ever make up my mind on these 2 I'd pull the trigger. I currently have 223, 22-250, 243, 308, 30-06, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, and 300 RUM. My go to big game guns are my 300 RUM and my 30-06. This would likely be a 1000yd steel gun and shots at animals would likely be under 500-600 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
              6.5-284 vs 28 Nosler?

If I could ever make up my mind on these 2 I'd pull the trigger. I currently have 223, 22-250, 243, 308, 30-06, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, and 300 RUM. My go to big game guns are my 300 RUM and my 30-06. This would likely be a 1000yd steel gun and shots at animals would likely be under 500-600 yards.

6.5x284 gets my vote. Better ammo selection for non-handloaders plus I just like the 6.5 selection of projectiles.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I really like that 195 Berger for the fast 7’s though. I do roll my own when needed.

Comment

Just throwing this out there as a reminder you can get whatever colors you want on the camo patterns if you don't go with one of the standard Grayboe colors. Here's blue and gray over a black base on a 260AI that went out last week,

Comment

Awesome

Comment

I also see you've been putting out some 6 dashers. Are they forming from 6br lapua or are you running the Norma reamer and using their brass?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        Just throwing this out there as a reminder you can get whatever colors you want on the camo patterns if you don't go with one of the standard Grayboe colors. Here's blue and gray over a black base on a 260AI that went out last week,
                        Man thats SICK! I need something similar!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                          I'll be ordering tomorrow with that exact color scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                            I also see you've been putting out some 6 dashers. Are they forming from 6br lapua or are you running the Norma reamer and using their brass?
                            Both of my reamers are based on Lapua brass. Staying far away from Norma on this one, unless specifically requested. I have a .155 FB reamer I set up just for the 110 SMK and we are LOVING this combo.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                              Man thats SICK! I need something similar!!!

You think that’s sick you should see the targets the owner has during load development.

This rifle just saved me from owning a CM and growing a man bun [emoji23]

Comment

Lol. Yeah, it appears to be a shooter Gonna miss the man bun, but if you don't go AI on it, I'd expect to see a mullet.

Comment

Working...
                                X