Eating bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating bass

A few fishing guys and gals on here. Some of you are tourney kinda bass fishing peeps. My question is as above.

Would you do you eat bass? A vast majority of fisherman that I either know or know of do NOT eat bass. Tourney fish, predator fish etc etc so I have been told.

I have kept a few in years past. If anyone remembers the slot limit a few years ago at Alan Henry they encouraged you to keep certain sizes. I got a few of the stares a couple of times going up the boat ramp with bass on my stringer.

I will say I was not impressed as far as table fair. They are ok but not the likes of crappie or catfish, imo.

They are fine, but certainly not the best table fare

Comment

I don’t buy my parents do! They don’t throw nothing back.

Comment

I may eat em once a year if we’re doing a family fishing tournament. Soak em in mustard for an hour and then throw em in corn meal with Tony’s. MmmmmmMmmmmm!

Comment

They’re as good as any other fish to me. Nothing wrong with it.

Comment

the fish biologist that I know still encourages keeping bass between 16-18 inches. When they shock, that’s what they will take out if you want a fish fry. I like em. We have at least 1 family fish fry with bass from our pond every year.

Comment

Heck yes. Way better than catfish, but not as good as crappie or bluegill.

Comment

I used to eat bass but not in a long time. However there is going to be some bass-eating in my immediate future. A friend of mine has a beautiful 20 acre pond/tank/lake on his ranch. It gets fished quite a bit but nobody has ever kept anything ever. It has gotten overpopulated and a consultant he hired told him they need to thin them out. I get to go fish if I promise to take out every bass I catch within a certain size range.

Comment

Na throw them and speckled trout back in the water . It’s the law..

Comment

Fresh they are as good as anything.

We eat them if they die in the livewell or if we are on the Ranch lake which needs culls or on cherrokee which needs culls. Never keep any over 4

Comment

I hardly ever fish freshwater, but I keep whatever is legal when I do. I like to kill fish.

Comment

Not my favorite. And I don't fish for them. But do occasionally catch one or three legal fish that go in the live well, with all the other fish for the freezer.

Comment

Taste fine
                          Sure there’s better but never understood the “they taste like ****” view. I guess that’s why there’s opinions lol

Comment

Have eaten a lot of them over the years. Even on our trips Mexico and El Salto we always kept a few 1-2 lbs bass for dinner one night. Used to always keep them and clean when allowed. Nothing wrong with them in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We don't eat them. Went to Raven today and caught 5 in the slot limit. They all went back in

Comment

Working...
                              X