No announcement yet.

Need to put my dog to sleep. Question on cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not real sure what to say here. I've had to put a few great dogs down, and both were done by a vet properly. I really guess I don't get the whole " I love my dog so much that I'll blast him in the head with a gun" mentality. Absolutely no way for a dog to go. My wife is a vet, and IMO she does it right. Animal is first knocked out to sleep peacefully, and then the euthanasia drug is administered. One, the owner has some time with the dog sleeping peacefully, and two, when the euthanasia drug is administered, there is no kind of violent behavior, they just go peacefully. Last thing I would ever want to be the last memory is of my dog with a bloody mess coming out of its head with a bulging eyeball.

Comment

The price difference may be dependent on whether they get a sedative first. Unless they are totally out of it, I would do the sedative first regardless of the method. My last beagle was THE dog. The one dog we are all alloted in life. I took her to the vet after some time together. She had a stroke and couldn't eat. I will say, my last image was of her sleeping peacefully. That's worth the extra $100 in my book. The last image of the others was the sound of a gun shot. The vet is a much nicer memory unless your dog gets stressed out there. None of mine ever did.

Comment

A lot depends on how body is handled... $100 bucks minimum i would exspect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
          I just feel like she deserves more, but it has crossed my mind

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
          She does... not a cull pup, a friend... dont let them peer presure you into somthing youll regret

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess im not man enough either. No way i could take my best buddy for all those years and look her in the eyes and do that to her. No way i could live with myself. Gonna be bad enough as it is. I think my vet will actually come to my house. My brothers vet came to his house too. Pup went to sleep in her fav blanket.

Comment

That's tough, brother...I'm sorry for your loss. God's speed.

Comment

Well I think the best way is to have the vet do it, if you need some funds send me a text, I will chip in, sorry for your loss.

Comment

No way I could pull the trigger on my mini Aussie when it comes time. That's not how I want to remember her,me putting a bullet in her brain. I'll let the vet do it and bring her home to bury her.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                    Well I think the best way is to have the vet do it, if you need some funds send me a text, I will chip in, sorry for your loss.
                    Nice gesture and I would be willing to chip in some funds as well.

Took my buddies dog in a few months ago and it was 50 at our local vet. I've seen dogs put down with a .22 and it wasnt a quick death every time. My dad didn't have any problem taking care of a pet growing up but not something I want to do unless I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      I agree with this.
                      Just to clarify...
                      I wouldn’t want to shoot my pet myself. It would have to be a friend I trusted that could do the job humanely.

Comment

I had the vet put one down couple months ago $30. But it's a small town country vet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The $180 is a small price to send her off peacefully. She loved you unconditionally.

Comment

Had to do this last summer. Don’t remember what the cost was because it **** sure didn’t matter. I would’ve paid whatever to make sure he was comfortable and taken care of with zero unnecessary suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                              I had the vet put one down couple months ago $30. But it's a small town country vet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Same here. Our local vet uses 3 shots.... 1st is a relaxer, 2nd puts them in a pre-surgery sleep, and then the final shot. Same price for his office or coming to your place.

Also, for those saying they mustn’t be man enough to shoot their own pet dog..... I feel the opposite. Takes more of a man to stick with a buddy to the end and do the right thing

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                                Not real sure what to say here. I've had to put a few great dogs down, and both were done by a vet properly. I really guess I don't get the whole " I love my dog so much that I'll blast him in the head with a gun" mentality. Absolutely no way for a dog to go. My wife is a vet, and IMO she does it right. Animal is first knocked out to sleep peacefully, and then the euthanasia drug is administered. One, the owner has some time with the dog sleeping peacefully, and two, when the euthanasia drug is administered, there is no kind of violent behavior, they just go peacefully. Last thing I would ever want to be the last memory is of my dog with a bloody mess coming out of its head with a bulging eyeball.
                                Put me in this boat. My dawg deserved to go peacefully while I gave him comfort

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X