Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the metal fab guys...(building a tripod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the metal fab guys...(building a tripod)

I'm about to start putting together a short (6'-8' range) tripod and want to keep it as light as I can, while still having sufficient strength to support my fat behind. I weight 280 lbs. + -

So my question is, would 1.5" 11ga. square tubing be stout enough? Or do I need to step up the wall thickness?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Yes 11 gauge will be just fine

Comment

Thanks JDL - that's what I'll go with.

Comment

I would look at 2" 14 ga

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
          I would look at 2" 14 ga
          I'm certainly open to ideas. Why 2" 14ga.?

Comment

1.5"x1.5"x 11ga = 2.25lbs per foot.

2"x2"x 14ga = 2.16lbs per foot.

The 2" will offer more rigidity due to the larger outside diameter. Just like old aluminum arrows: comparing a 2117 to a 2213 of the same length. The 2213 will be lighter and have a greater spine than the 2117. The greater spine will allow for more poundage/weight but be lighter at the same time.

For those that do not know, the first two digits of an aluminum arrow shaft represent the outside diameter in 64ths of an inch. The second two digits represent the wall thickness of the aluminum tube used to make the shaft. There for, a 2117 shaft is 21/64ths in diameter with a wall thickness of .017". And that is your antique archery lesson for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              And that is your antique archery lesson for the day.
              Presented by an archery antique!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                Presented by an archery antique!
                Thank you sir!

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  1.5"x1.5"x 11ga = 2.25lbs per foot.

2"x2"x 14ga = 2.16lbs per foot.

The 2" will offer more rigidity due to the larger outside diameter. Just like old aluminum arrows: comparing a 2117 to a 2213 of the same length. The 2213 will be lighter and have a greater spine than the 2117. The greater spine will allow for more poundage/weight but be lighter at the same time.

For those that do not know, the first two digits of an aluminum arrow shaft represent the outside diameter in 64ths of an inch. The second two digits represent the wall thickness of the aluminum tube used to make the shaft. There for, a 2117 shaft is 21/64ths in diameter with a wall thickness of .017". And that is your antique archery lesson for the day.
                  I appreciate the lesson - in steel tubing, and in antique archery! I remember the 2213 days. Didn't know what the 22 and the 13 meant though.

I'll give the 2" tubing a try.

Good luck with your fish catching and pig sticking!
                  Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott. If you need any help, just holler.

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Agree with the 14ga. I made a 12' with it. Not sure what you weigh, or the design you're going with, but you may even drop down to 1.5" square. Hop you post some pics of the build and the finished product. Good luck!!

Comment

1.5" Square 14 GA 2 1.6#/ft up to 10' will be fine, that's thicker than what all of the big box stores use.

Comment

Waiting for pics of finish product.

Comment

I've used 1 1/4" EMT slipped into 1 1/2" EMT for mine. Probably made around 40 of them through the years. My friend, who weighs right at 300# hunts off of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X