Big Lake Bottom E-Card Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Lake Bottom E-Card Draw

Did anyone else even put in for the Big Lake Bottom E-card draw? My son, 14, and I were drawn this year, but I am wondering if it is even worth claiming or going after all of the flooding the previous years.

Anyone have any input at all?

I put in, but haven't checked my status really didn't even realize they had drawn already

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I put in but did not get drawn. It has been flooded out the past few years. Not sure what it looks like these days.

Comment

Deer numbers are definitely down some from a few years ago. That said, there are a lot of deer there. The wma is one of the more unique spots you can deer hunt around here because its all old growth and not very brushy. That makes it hard though because there are acorns everywhere and funnels are hard to come by. You definitely wont be seeing any monsters in there but its still a good place to hunt. If it rains much the week of your hunt I would just stay home. The whole place turns into a gumbo mud swamp with just a little rain. The last time they did a hunt lots of people went home because they couldnt get to their compartments without getting their atvs stuck.

Comment

Well I didn't get selected pending second draw but didn't get selected for Keechi Creek WMA

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I got drawn this year and as of right now will be blocking out 11/2-11/12 to be up there. Hopefully it don't rain the week of. Never hunted the unit before, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew 11/17-26.
              Praying for no rain!

Comment

I drew 9/29 - 10/8, if it doesn't rain I'll be heading out there.

I also drew Gus Engeling 10/31 - 11/4

Comment

Thanks for the input. We drew for 09/29 - 10/28. If it doesn't rain, I guess we will make the drive from Lubbock and see what happens for a couple of days.

Comment

Me and three buddies drew 11/16-11/26. It's all of our first year doing the drawn hunts. Excited to see what this place has to offer!

Comment

I was drawn for the December portion of the hunt. How does it work exactly? Does tpwd just assign you a unit tract of land and you can only hunt that during your time there?

Comment

I have only been on one drawn hunt and it was a hog hunt but that is how they did it on that one. We all but numbers in a hat then picked out compartment in order of what we drew.

Comment

Originally posted by CJMO74 View Post
                          I was drawn for the December portion of the hunt. How does it work exactly? Does tpwd just assign you a unit tract of land and you can only hunt that during your time there?
                          Never been on a post card hunt, but what I've read from TPWD, the entire area will be opened up for those on the hunt dates, which means you can hunt wherever you want. With that said, there will be a orientation before the hunt. Everybody on the hunt will be together at one time. TPWD may even suggest during that time everybody get together and plan where everybody will go. At least that what I would do in order not to walk up or hunt on top of somebody else.

Comment

Both times I went we drew compartment numbers out of a hat. I think there are 6 and they put 6-9 hunters in each.

Comment

Just got back from BLB WMA. I couldn't do the full hunt as I couldn't take extra days off.

My report:

TPWD had set up some pretty demanding criteria for the deer that they wanted taken - Buck only, 15" inside spread (yes, 15, not 13) and a minimum of 4yo. This pretty much narrowed it down to a big mature buck.

Friday and Saturday I worked the W/2 of the property and didn't see a single deer other than the couple of does I scared up setting up my blind on scouting day. There was a fair amount of sign but the only wildlife I saw the rest of the time was a small group of pigs and a bunch of squirrels.

Sunday I moved to the E/2 along the powerline right of way and saw a good number of does but no bucks, not even young ones. The property is fairly dense tall hardwoods, which is nice for a climbing tree stand, but I think the big bucks are still nestled in the heavy cover this time of year. I believe this hunt would be great a little later in the year, but it was lots of sittin and lookin this time around.

I wish I had more experience in East Texas with spot and stalk as I think that'd be the only way to get on some big bucks in the heavy cover. It'd be a tough row as they can see you from a long way off in those woods but I imagine it could be done.

As of the afternoon Sunday none of the hunters had harvested a deer yet, in fact I don't think anyone had killed a pig either.

Looking forward to better results at the end of October at Gus Engeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X