Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

talk me out of a stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cut, split and age my wood from a pasture. I don't buy my wood in a bag. And, I would not consider it native to not use fire to make bbq in the great state of Texas! To each their own....but for me its all traditional and old school.
    I prefer the traditional way and don't even use propane.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      You should also consider a Weber Smoky Mountain. I get mine up to temp on a brisket and it will hold that temp straight for 7-8 hours without me doing a thing. Last few hours I will prep additional wood coals and keep it going but other than that it is a set it and go smoker. Half the price of a pellet smoker, and you don’t have to tuck your junk to operate it.

Yeah. I love the WSM. I think it’s got to be one of the bests in terms of “bang-for-your-buck”.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy mine and be done

Comment

Weber Smoky Mountain all day! Minion method is super easy for an all night smoke, I just check it once to top off the water bowl. It’s much easier than my Pitts and Spitts, and the flavor you get from charcoal is fantastic.

Comment

I got a good deal on a kamado cooker not to long ago (thanks) that cooks some good grub. It's so easy to use that my wife has now taken it over and I just eat.

Comment

Stick burner. I think it makes a better product as well. If I want "easy" I'll go to the local BBQ place and buy some.That's just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  I've had 4 different offset firebox pits in my adult life and two ceramic egg/kamado cookers. Sold the last ceramic for fear of breaking it during our move. As much as I liked the way they do poultry, I missed my stick burner for brisket.
                  Was planning to try a pellet grill for the new house but one of my pecan trees dropped a nice sized limb and that got me to thinking. Every neighbor has two old-growth pecans in their back yard and we back up to a greenbelt with about two dozen pecans in it. I might have an endless supply of pecan wood for smoking and the nursery in town sells Texas Longhorn pits which I love.

Up side: Cracking my first beer at 5am to start the fire. Smelling that sweet smoke all day!

Down side: Wondering if my pit is holding temp while I'm golfing or fishing.

Truly torn here.
                  Get a good stick burner and it will.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    Buy mine and be done

Sweet rig.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                      I got a good deal on a kamado cooker not to long ago (thanks) that cooks some good grub. It's so easy to use that my wife has now taken it over and I just eat.
                      Come on maaaaannnn.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                        Sweet rig.

Thanks, it’s listed in the classifieds

Comment

talk me out of a stick burner

More than one way to skin a cat! I’m too busy these days to sit on my *** and tend a stick burner. I had a Jambo and it was nice. But honestly, I can tell no discernible difference between it and my vertical insulated smoker with the end product. With a digi q I can keep a steady 225-275 for over 20 hours if needed. Kind of a no brainer to me.

Last edited by Full Throttle; 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            Lets build you one. I can build you a hybrid so you can run your fire like you want, then if you leave you can switch on the pellet hopper and let her cruise.
                            Oh dang! Those look awesome but I just bought a house, window blinds, furniture and a golf cart I did keep the cash I got from selling my primo so my budget is somewhere under $800. I just need something that will do 2 or maybe 3 briskets but most often it will just be 1.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                              Oh dang! Those look awesome but I just bought a house, window blinds, furniture and a golf cart I did keep the cash I got from selling my primo so my budget is somewhere under $800. I just need something that will do 2 or maybe 3 briskets but most often it will just be 1.
                              Sounds like a UDS would work perfect for you! You can load it up with lump charcoal and a few chunks of wood and it'll run 10-12 hours without messing with it. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out. My shop is just outside of Granbury towards Glen Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                                Sounds like a UDS would work perfect for you! You can load it up with lump charcoal and a few chunks of wood and it'll run 10-12 hours without messing with it. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out. My shop is just outside of Granbury towards Glen Rose.
                                Those grills do look awesome! Nice work.

Comment

Working...
                                X